January 2021 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Interesting to see Harry having a little pop at Mourinho on SSN.

On Dele and Mourinho

"Dele' a good player...........should bang their heads together.........Jose's a top manager, it's his job to get the best out of Dele.........whatever it takes, extra training, get him out on the pitch in the afternoon's and work with him........work with him "

There's certainly a compromise to be found, there rarely isn't....and we need Dele if he can be focused as he was in Mourhino's first dozen or so games in charge when Dele seemed to be getting his mojo back which he's lost under Poch (rumoured to be linked with Dele being too focused on non football business interests)

Poch desperately wanted Grealish and Fernandes. Kind of unfair to blame this all on Poch when he was not in charge of recruiting?
Be interesting to see how they would have got on here. Because I am not a grealish fan, I am sticking with he is a big fish in a small pond player like zaha. So won't make it at a big club.

Be interesting to see how they would have got on here. Because I am not a grealish fan, I am sticking with he is a big fish in a small pond player like zaha. So won't make it at a big club.
Grealish would have loved to play under Poch. Would despise playing under Jose. In fact he probably wouldn't make the team. At Villa he starts on the left of a 4231 and he does basically nothing defensively. No way Jose would start him.

I think Fernandes would probably do better under Jose. He's got that cuntishness about him that Jose likes.

Grealish would have loved to play under Poch. Would despise playing under Jose. In fact he probably wouldn't make the team. At Villa he starts on the left of a 4231 and he does basically nothing defensively. No way Jose would start him.

I think Fernandes would probably do better under Jose. He's got that cuntishness about him that Jose likes.
I actually think Grealish would be an absolute dream for Jose. A player who can generate offense almost completely by himself and best aided by an overlapping left back would work wonders for us. Would walk into our team..

There's certainly a compromise to be found, there rarely isn't....and we need Dele if he can be focused as he was in Mourhino's first dozen or so games in charge when Dele seemed to be getting his mojo back which he's lost under Poch (rumoured to be linked with Dele being too focused on non football business interests)
I think Jose has shown his style of man management, at least in the documentary.
Basically along the lines of:

"My door is always open, it's up to the player if he wants to walk through it."
Meaning it's all on the player to improve.

Redknapp's style
"Come on son, get your fucking finger out, I'll support you, help you every way I can, even if it means staying behind after training and running drills with you, I'll do it because I rate you"

Amazing we didn't move some dross on. Hopefully a big summer planned with major rebuilding in mind but starting with moving on all the cloggers, both youth and first team. Amazed to see some of these youth players that some were calling to be in our first team now being loaned to league 2 and league 1 teams. But won't stop folks saying we should hang our hats on Skipp coming back to save us.

Hopefully we see a clearout very early of the Lamelas, Mouras, Sanchezes, and others so there is space to actually utilize. Won't happen though as we've seen this movie before...1 in 1 out so not 1 bean is unaccounted for.

I think you have that backwards.

I actually think Grealish would be an absolute dream for Jose. A player who can generate offense almost completely by himself and best aided by an overlapping left back would work wonders for us. Would walk into our team..
I agree.
I was one of those wrong about Grealish - at the time we were linked I didn’t want him but he’s turned out great.
However, I actually think had he moved to us back then, he wouldn’t have got the minutes or responsibility to develop into the player he is today and would be more akin to a Lamela/Moura type.

Would be a huge surprise if we don't terminate his contract now.
Amazing that he couldn’t find a more lucrative deal than he’s on at the moment- not suggesting he would get the same wages but say he’s on £60k per week (think I’ve read that somewhere) and contract expires in June. That’s probably around £1.25m he’s due to get.
By spending 18 months not playing at all (which will have been the case if he leaves in the summer) his prospects of getting a longer and better deal are surely reduced as who’s gonna take the risk.
For example if he could get a 3 year deal at £40k that’s £6.2m but a 1 year contract at £20k if he’s viewed as more of a risk is only £1m. So quite a big range.
By holding out I reckon he’s reduced his earning potential significantly, and ultimately would’ve lost out, compared to having taken a hit on his contract with us in order to get playing.
Equally maybe he doesn’t care about money or playing!

I never truly expected that there would be significant moves for us during January...

But in the end it somehow dissapointed me still -

- We sent away Gazza that should have freed up a foreign player spot
- Aaaand we did not take advantage of that, despite the fact that Liverpool snached Kabak from struggling Schalke. Sure, they have no injury-free CBs right now. But come on, injured van Dijk is not really worse than fully fit Davinson Sanchez :D . Also I feel that Tanganga could have used a loan deal right now and bringing in Kabak would have freed him to go out and get regular playing time
- Nothing changed with Dele - if he and/or Mou had issues before, I am not sure how the January has helped where I have a feeling Alli wanted to leave, and club just said "NO! just sit on the bench, you can't go to other club to fight to get into England squad"

I understand there were limitations (financial situation + lack of foregin player spots in the squad) but fuck me, we could then have at least take a punt on someone like Kabak on loan (or someone else either to CB or versatile winger - if they would have sucked, we could have send them back with just paying the loan fee) + bring back Skippy from the loan.
I understand that from his point of view it would have been more benefitial to stay, but make no mistake, we are in crisis right now. Sometimes you have to make sacrifices.

Right now we were just conviniently sitting on our hands while situation is really quite bad.

Yep as soon as grealish went on 1 mazy dribble & lost the ball, jose would be fuming. Where as I think poch would have let him go out & express himself. & yes I agree fernandes has that cunty side jose loves.

Back
Top Bottom