January 2022 - Transfer Window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Sounded like a load of guesses to me. Will we really be in for Traore again for example? He played well when he was wanting to move to us but is now on the bench and has reverted to his level as he didn't get his move. Who's to say he wouldn't just do the same if we signed him. Weak mentality I reckon.

Another manager realising he's all huff and no puff.

Amazes me that we're even linked to him given Nuno got bored of him in the same manner.

Christ Lilley white Rose is drivel nearly all of these figures are utter crap. I know its not as sexy but we paid off my head £26 million for Soldado and £55 million for N'dombele , and as I understand it the Levy voodoo means the add ons that take that later deal to the quoted 65 ain't ever ever ever happening and yes we STILL got ripped off. But getting out of bed's a risk.
Yeah the issue isn’t spending big, it’s spending it badly. Good luck trying to win the league buying cheap 10m type signings.

You don't really believe that though......

See.....

His issue may be that he feels we waste our time on lots of 10m signings with a much too small hit rate, rather than saving our money for ones in the higher ranges. Our record of signing players in the 10-15m range is truly horrendous, going back to Pochettino if you look at the names it is mostly either total wastes of time or we managed to sell them on again in a season or two for about 1 mill in profit.

Some of the only capable ones from that category are Davies, Dier & Alli. And they're all just mediocre squad fillers now, and I'm not sure Davies was ever more than that. Clearly our scouting team isn't doing well enough at identifying the cheap as chips signings, our biggest hits seem to come in the 20-30m range.

Very true, but there's also a world in which we recouped a nine figure combined profit for a couple of very limited players.
And there's also a world where we sold them at their peak for 9 figures, and they went on to win trophies at clubs like United and Chelsea, and we had to listen to years of people slagging off Levy using the Dier and Dele sales as proof of his lack of ambition.

I actually think we will be busy in January. A striker and midfielder are a must, we will not be able to compete in the second half of the season without signings in those positions.

The game against Mura should have got Paratici sweating, our squad is not even good enough to handle a game like that. We had to put our big boys on to be sure of a result against a team that would struggle to get out of League 2.

And there's also a world where we sold them at their peak for 9 figures, and they went on to win trophies at clubs like United and Chelsea, and we had to listen to years of people slagging off Levy using the Dier and Dele sales as proof of his lack of ambition.

Exactly, the issue is not that we didn't sell important players. A team should never have to sell important players to improve. The problem is that we have spent a lot of money on rubbish players. Ndombele, Sessegnon, Lo Celso, Aurier, that's £200m just on those 4. Another £70m on Davinson and Sissoko. We have wasted unbelievable amounts of money. To be linked with players like Dybala, Bruno, Grealish, Tielemans etc and end up with that lot is just depressing.

I actually think we will be busy in January. A striker and midfielder are a must, we will not be able to compete in the second half of the season without signings in those positions.

The game against Mura should have got Paratici sweating, our squad is not even good enough to handle a game like that. We had to put our big boys on to be sure of a result against a team that would struggle to get out of League 2.

Exactly, the issue is not that we didn't sell important players. A team should never have to sell important players to improve. The problem is that we have spent a lot of money on rubbish players. Ndombele, Sessegnon, Lo Celso, Aurier, that's £200m just on those 4. Another £70m on Davinson and Sissoko. We have wasted unbelievable amounts of money. To be linked with players like Dybala, Bruno, Grealish, Tielemans etc and end up with that lot is just depressing.
I think your going to end up disappointed mate.

Selling key players will always generate complaints from certain quarters, sure, but let us not pretend there aren’t black and white objective figures to demonstrate the extent to which those sales could have been reinvested.

There’s no way around the dramatic, singular gulf between us and every single other club in the league in expenditure relative to revenue. Try to make it about whiny glory hunters all you want, you’re only fooling yourself.

Selling key players will always generate complaints from certain quarters, sure, but let us not pretend there aren’t black and white objective figures to demonstrate the extent to which those sales could have been reinvested.

There’s no way around the dramatic, singular gulf between us and every single other club in the league in expenditure relative to revenue. Try to make it about whiny glory hunters all you want, you’re only fooling yourself.

It's almost like we have very highly paid professionals at the club who should have a fantastic insight in to the true ability and value of the players they watch on a very regularly basis, and are paid to assess. And said professionals should be able to, with some consistency, inform the club when it's worth selling and re-investing what you make.

Other clubs manage that. And I honestly don't think the fans would accuse Levy of not having ambition providing he then went and spent the vast majority of what we made from those players. Back then we had regular CL football and were in a great position to attract talent.

I think we’ll be busy too

I reckon another two golf courses will be bought at a minimum and perhaps a new sports complex or two if we are very lucky

Exciting times

Back
Top Bottom