January 2022 - Transfer Window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

For every McKennie and Chiesa though you've got Bentancur, Ramsey, Morata, Arthur, De Ligt, Danilo (Getting rid of fucking Cancelo!), Rabiot, Bernadeschi, Higuain etc etc. So many overpaid players Juventus want rid of, still, De Ligt for example was signed for huge money, massive wage packet and hasn't come close to justifying it. The ridiculous wages on offer (Also bringing in Ronaldo) also backs you up when it comes to the poor management.

He had a very good run of signings where he was getting a lot of credit, and then an awful one where Juventus dropped off a lot, and a lot of those signings are why they're in their current state. We brought him in off the back of that. I know he had a good reputation as a scout and you're probably right, we need to change his role, but to me it screams a bit of Levy seeing a 'big name' whose reputation has waned somewhat, and going for it.
I think Levy wanted Paratici because he respects his experience and ability in the shady underbelly of the sport, an area where I think Levy has genuinely changed his view and given up on avoiding entirely (remember when that was a big thing, that we’d never sign a player represented by agent X or Y?) and I think Levy also likes Paratici’s taste for overcomplicated too-clever-by-half schemes.

It’s neither a 100% positive nor 100% negative marriage. But I don’t think Conte would be here without it, so it’s a load-bearing part of the project.

Levy isn’t blind, he can see he’s no longer capable of managing the transfer market himself the way he could in 2006. But the ideology and control obsession still goes bone marrow-deep. The club is at war with itself in many ways. And the time bomb keeps ticking.

Yeah it does, but it does sound like Paratici was keen on Emerson. And surely coming in his job is to improve that side of things? Maybe it's not his fault at all, and it is all Levy/ENIC still dominating everything, but we have a man in place meant to be fixing the issues and thus far he isn't.

I hope you are right, but it smacks of ENIC.

It's as if we are operating COMPLETELY without any kind of indexing and scouting-ahead of players.

Need a right back? Flip through the Outlook "deleted" folder and look for an agent mail subject "fullback", "wingback" or "defender"

Eh, I'm confident we would. Why wouldn't we? We'd be basically the best positioned club to play in that league.
In the highly unlikely event the two Mancs, Chelsea, the Scousers leave the Premier League and take the TV money with them we're fucked. The new stadium is secured against future income from competing at the highest level with all the income that comes with it.

If the Premier League is no longer the highest level and the TV and Sponsorship goes we're fucked.

But it's not happening.

FJ44dEIWUAY4DI0

This game live on youtube.
You would hope 3 or 4 loans will follow.
Our best players so far have been Scarlett and MFs White and Bowden (though he was a bit lazy for their goal).
Devine had our best chance. Lavinier has been OK

Have you seen much of Bentancur? I see Villa are very interested in him. Is he worse/better than what we have?

Mediocre, like most of their midfielders. Not bad, improves Villa and definitely would improve us (we have worse midfielders than Villa, lol) but absolutely miles away from when they had Vidal, Marchisio, Pirlo, Pogba.

I watch Juve a lot, Serie A is genuinely a very exciting league anymore .. except Juventus matches because Allegri is fucking dull and the players are all so average. Their decline has been shocking, aside from Chiesa and Dybala there's so few exciting players in the squad.

I think Levy wanted Paratici because he respects his experience and ability in the shady underbelly of the sport, an area where I think Levy has genuinely changed his view and given up on avoiding entirely (remember when that was a big thing, that we’d never sign a player represented by agent X or Y?) and I think Levy also likes Paratici’s taste for overcomplicated too-clever-by-half schemes.

It’s neither a 100% positive nor 100% negative marriage. But I don’t think Conte would be here without it, so it’s a load-bearing part of the project.

Levy isn’t blind, he can see he’s no longer capable of managing the transfer market himself the way he could in 2006. But the ideology and control obsession still goes bone marrow-deep. The club is at war with itself in many ways. And the time bomb keeps ticking.

Yeah, we do have to credit Paratici with getting Conte here. Agree it doesn't happen otherwise. He clearly has contacts and a reputation, I'm just dubious about his shady nature and some of the contracts he handed out like sweeties at Juventus.

I hope you are right, but it smacks of ENIC.

It's as if we are operating COMPLETELY without any kind of indexing and scouting-ahead of players.

Need a right back? Flip through the Outlook "deleted" folder and look for an agent mail subject "fullback", "wingback" or "defender"
Not completely without, just understaffed and underpowered relative to our competition, and with a bad leadership structure not implementing it in the right way.

The way we never, ever, under any circumstances, regardless of need or simplicity of the deal, have a deal done early in the window is extremely telling and we are absolutely alone in that.

In the highly unlikely event the two Mancs, Chelsea, the Scousers leave the Premier League and take the TV money with them we're fucked. The new stadium is secured against future income from competing at the highest level with all the income that comes with it.

If the Premier League is no longer the highest level and the TV and Sponsorship goes we're fucked.

But it's not happening.

You may well be right about the financing part (although IMHO I know as a nordic supporter, that a massive amount of the foreign TV buyer base here would be very interested in the remaining English league product).

Still, I am admittedly quite sick and tired of the league in it's present form with the cynical discrepancies, VAR and the dodgy application of FFP.

Thinking of that lot fucking off does sothe the soul a bit.

Not completely without, just understaffed and underpowered relative to our competition, and with a bad leadership structure not implementing it in the right way.

The way we never, ever, under any circumstances, regardless of need or simplicity of the deal, have a deal done early in the window is extremely telling and we are absolutely alone in that.

And it's been noticed by some of us for 21 years now, and excused almost as long by other parts of the fanbase.

You may well be right about the financing part (although IMHO I know as a nordic supporter, that a massive amount of the foreign TV buyer base here would be very interested in the remaining English league product).

Still, I am admittedly quite sick and tired of the league in it's present form with the cynical discrepancies, VAR and the dodgy application of FFP.

Thinking of that lot fucking off does sothe the soul a bit.

Maybe, but it wouldn't be as much as it used to be and £1bn is a shit load of money.

And it's been noticed by some of us for 21 years now, and excused almost as long by other parts of the fanbase.
It wasn’t always this bad either. It’s gotten consistently worse over the last decade.

Ndombele and Clarke on 2 July 2019 are the only “early” deals we’ve had, and Ndombele was a multi-window saga.

Lots of other clubs have deals ready-to-go as windows open.

Back
Top Bottom