January 2022 - Transfer Window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The tragedy was when the English football pyramid separated. In February 1992. Everything in the 30 years since has merely been the wake before the funeral.

Football died when the Premier League was founded.
I mean let’s be very candid, that’s all a bit hipster coming from the likes of us Yanks. We weren’t wading through blood and piss in the away stand at Ayresome Park watching pasty local duffers muck about in a bog in the penalty area. Us even being here is a product of the PL vision, which is 1000% compatible with the health and viability of the whole pyramid.

The bank securing the current loans would basically become the LLDC, they'd be holding an albatross with no other recourse than to restructure the terms to something that financially feasible for a tenant.

Now, they may foreclose on the stadium, take it over in any restructure, then lease it back to the club. But they wouldn't be likely to displace the club - the only way the bank could ever hope to get its money back would be to keep football in the stadium.
Probably a good and accurate assessment of how things might play out, but it’s not hard to see how an outcome like that might leave the likes of Celtic or Villa or whoever in a better position to dominate than us.

A post-apocalyptic football under any scenario though.

Not as fucked as you would think. What would the interest be in foreclosing on the stadium? Assuming you can't foreclose on the stadium and get the ESL to let you in with a startup franchise, the property is worth far more as a stadium than anything else that would require significant cost to renovate/rebuild.

The bank securing the current loans would basically become the LLDC, they'd be holding an albatross with no other recourse than to restructure the terms to something that financially feasible for a tenant.

Now, they may foreclose on the stadium, take it over in any restructure, then lease it back to the club. But they wouldn't be likely to displace the club - the only way the bank could ever hope to get its money back would be to keep football in the stadium.

I'll wait while you say the NFL would come it, which isn't ever going to happen despite how often you all talk about it.
Even if the loan wasn't called in we'd still be servicing the debt but with a much reduced income.

It would massively prevent us from being best placed to become one of the dominant clubs in a post-ESL League. And that was my point.

Personally I think he's in bed with numerous agents. He gets a generous bung for his services. Bent as a boomerang!
Most likely , we get royal last min ahead other full backs we could have gone for. As much people didn’t like serge he is miles better than two imposters we have now at rb/rwb. His sssists and goals are better than these 2 combined. We get Gil 20yr old who is nowhere near ready for PL and we give Seville lamela on top. I swear under conte he would have been his general on the pitch.

Even if the loan wasn't called in we'd still be servicing the debt but with a much reduced income.

It would massively prevent us from being best placed to become one of the dominant clubs in a post-ESL League. And that was my point.
I don't think so, simply for the reasons stated before. We'd have a lot of debt to service but we'd be positioned to be the most visible club in the league located in London. The stadium would keep us from pulling away from the crowd, but we'd still be prime placed. And the mortgage holder would be incentivized to structure the debt in a way to allow Spurs to be a top club, the better the club does, the more money they have, the faster they can repay the loan.

Anyway, we'll find out soon enough I'm sure.

Long before he was ever linked to us, I watched one match with him and thought he was the absolute nut. Was Leeds v Derby and I was only watching because of the Bielsa spygate rubbish, and Clarke, at this point 18 I think, was phenomenal. Genuinely though I was watching the new Bale.

Not sure what happened between then and the moment he signed for us, but clearly I misjudged that one. Honestly though, The talent was prodigious that day, wasn’t just speed and ball skill but that unquantifiable verve that you never see outside of the top players.
Clarke has talent, good touch, good pass, good cross, runs at players fairly well, decent strike, just doesn't appear to have anything close to the power or drive to play at a high level.

I don't think so, simply for the reasons stated before. We'd have a lot of debt to service but we'd be positioned to be the most visible club in the league located in London. The stadium would keep us from pulling away from the crowd, but we'd still be prime placed. And the mortgage holder would be incentivized to structure the debt in a way to allow Spurs to be a top club, the better the club does, the more money they have, the faster they can repay the loan.

Anyway, we'll find out soon enough I'm sure.
It's impossible to know without knowing what sort of TV rights can be thrashed out for the continuity premier League, what it means for sponsorship deals, ticket prices and all sorts of variables. Let's face it, you take away Man City, Man Utd, Woolwich, Liverpool and the Chavs is my £1000 season ticket worth £1000 still? Not likely. Will hospitality still attract the same levels? Certainly not. Will AIA want to continue the same levels when TV coverage dips and the Champions League becomes a second rate tournament? Almost no chance.
And in this scenario we wouldn't have London to ourselves, the Chavs and Woolwich would still exist, just not in our league.

We'd probably still be one of the big hitters but we'd have to accept a degree of austerity and it would be painful.

You could be well be right and it could all be rosy, but I don't want to have to find out.

Fuck me it does say something about Spurs inactivity in the transfer market that the official transfer window thread becomes a hypothetical discussion about how Spurs would cope in a post-brekaway premier League though.

I'm sorry, as you were. We signed that Traore cunt yet or what?

It's impossible to know without knowing what sort of TV rights can be thrashed out for the continuity premier League, what it means for sponsorship deals, ticket prices and all sorts of variables. Let's face it, you take away Man City, Man Utd, Woolwich, Liverpool and the Chavs is my £1000 season ticket worth £1000 still? Not likely. Will hospitality still attract the same levels? Certainly not. Will AIA want to continue the same levels when TV coverage dips and the Champions League becomes a second rate tournament? Almost no chance.
And in this scenario we wouldn't have London to ourselves, the Chavs and Woolwich would still exist, just not in our league.

We'd probably still be one of the big hitters but we'd have to accept a degree of austerity and it would be painful.

You could be well be right and it could all be rosy, but I don't want to have to find out.
Well I certainly didn't mean to imply that it would be rosy or that life would saunter on for us unchanged.

We'd effectively be a championship club. AIA wouldn't sponsor us, because we wouldn't have an international footprint. The marketing deals we could get would be national. The TV money would take a huge hit. We'd be happy to have players like Dier and Winks, not loathe to field them. They'd be "stars". Your season ticket would absolutely be cut in half.

But for all the reasons stated before and the fact that our training facilities would be the class of the division bar none, of the English championship level players we could afford (and who had no ESL alternative) - we'd be a very attractive choice.

I'd rather win the championship then be a paid stooge for the greater glory of Arab football tv.

Back
Top Bottom