January 2023 Transfer Thread. The Big One

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is it just me that thinks Reguilon is a good squad member? Not first choice (he loses a fair few duels) but decent backup? Surely he's better than Sessegnon ?
No, I'd fucking love to have him back in the squad and playing when Perisic can't over Sess. Problem is we are tight on HG and no matter what Reggie can't ever change the fact that he'snot HG and Sess is...

Of course, by chance, Reggie has been injured basically all season so if we had somehow managed to keep him around over Sess then we would have seen either a knackered Perisic or a square peg in the round lwb hole quite a bit.

The only way this window will look successful is if our attack (which is already 3rd best in the league) is boosted by the 2 arrivals.
Stay with me.

A team with a significant threat going forward will, almost always, provoke caution from the opposition. We got 72 points in 2012/2013 because Bale was such an enormous goal threat, almost everyone defended for their lives.

If teams are doing that they're not getting at our idiot defenders and "mentally drained" goalkeeper.

It just means we will have to create more against packed defences.

Or none of the happens, teams keep getting at us and we keep throwing the ball in our own net every week.
Not with Conte at the helm , we sit back

Is it just me that thinks Reguilon is a good squad member? Not first choice (he loses a fair few duels) but decent backup? Surely he's better than Sessegnon ?

I agree. If we have a change of manager in the summer I wouldn't be surprised if he is kept and Sessegnon sold. The only reason Sess is still here has to be for HG reasons. He's just utterly awful. Regullion played well last season and that was with him carrying an injury all year.

So lets look at who some of our rivals signed this January :

Woolwich
Leandro Trossard (Brighton)
Jorginho (Chelsea)

ManCity
Maximo Perrone (Velez Sarsfield)

Newcastle
Anthony Gordon (Everton)
Harrison Ashby (West Ham)

ManU
Jack Butland (Crystal Palace) Loan
Wout Weghorst (Burnley) Loan

Liverpool
Cody Gakpo (PSV)

So Spurs with Porro and Danjuma is possibly better than some other clubs, certainly not bad.

Sure we could improve our squad ........ Liverpool fans will argue the same
Lots of then have already invested well or have good players anyway, Liverpool are having a blip and still have 2 games in hand that could bring them within a point of us.

I have sincere doubts about Top 4 unless Milan beat us tbh and we have less games to play, I don't think we have the squad to compete across more competitions and unless our lot turn up for the (less than) second half of the season.

5th-6th with hopefully an FA Cup run could be realistic, obviously wish for a whole lot more which will only happen if Son and Harry especially turn it on for us more than some of the defenders/keeper fuck it up, which has been too rare this season.

I'm sure Conte wants more clean sheets (as seen by goals scored vs goals against), critically we've done nothing to help concede less during the window.

So why dont they act like they have a plan, get rid of that manager before the window opens and employ someone that shares their 'vision' I'd suggest its because they dont want the fallout and dont want to pay him and his staff off. Whatever way you look at it its no way to run a top level club. Nothing is about on field success, just damage limitation.
I speculate they are afraid of the fall out. Conte enjoys broad support, specially with the match-going fans. You can't accuse Levy of not putting his his wishes above the fans for the last 20+ years. With fans becoming more aggressive, it's easy to see why Levy is becoming less authoritive.

I presume Levy wants Conte to stay and hopes he can be convinced without gambling £100m+

I've been roasted before for saying Reggy is better than Sess. He's also a quick, aggressive WB which is the system we play. I'd love to see us keep him.

I think he will be kept, with Perisic and Sessengon going, if Conte goes.

Udogie and Reguilon as our LB options.
I think it's very unlikely that any manager coming in (if Conte does actually go) is going to suddenly shift to primarily 4 at the back.

Maybe a coach with the ability to shift between systems but when you see we have signed Porro, Udogie, and Spence, it's clear this squad is constructed with WB's in mind. Son at the age he is means that it could be a 3 man midfield for a future manager but WBs will be a part of the tactics of this team for the entire cycle of this squad (5ish years at a guess)

I’d take him over Sessegnon.

No Spurs player has annoyed me more in recent times than Sess. I’m sure he’s a lovely kid, but my God he is so feeble. Once we sell him he will plummet through the leagues.

Reguillon is just stupid. But he can cross.

And his proxy celebrations are amusing.

If Poch managed to turn someone like Danny Rose into a decent full back then he could do the same with Reguilon. Sessegnon and Emerson however are lost causes

I’d take him over Sessegnon.

No Spurs player has annoyed me more in recent times than Sess. I’m sure he’s a lovely kid, but my God he is so feeble. Once we sell him he will plummet through the leagues.

Reguillon is just stupid. But he can cross.

And his proxy celebrations are amusing.
I really thought we were going to get a lot more out of Sessegnon this season but he's been absolutely terrible. The most annoying thing is hearing and seeing people say that he's short of confidence... He could be the most confident lad in the world and it wouldn't make up for all his technical deficiency. Crossing, touch, passing all so poor. I actually think he's a competent defender and times his runs very well but he just has nothing to offer when the ball is at his feet.

I really thought we were going to get a lot more out of Sessegnon this season but he's been absolutely terrible. The most annoying thing is hearing and seeing people say that he's short of confidence... He could be the most confident lad in the world and it wouldn't make up for all his technical deficiency. Crossing, touch, passing all so poor. I actually think he's a competent defender and times his runs very well but he just has nothing to offer when the ball is at his feet.
People also talk about confidence like it's so easy to fix. A player like Sess is likely to continuously struggle with confidence because he's being asked to play the game of his life every week.

Back
Top Bottom