January Transfer Thread 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So, as we move towards another ENIC transfer window, on the cusp of the worst sequence of results in the football clubs 140 year history.....

E3OH2qSWQAAwGcf.jpg

So, as we move towards another ENIC transfer window, on the cusp of the worst sequence of results in the football clubs 140 year history.....

E3OH2qSWQAAwGcf.jpg

After our best start ever in the Premier League, yes.

But I told you this earlier yet you ignored it...and you wonder why I don't take your posts or your content seriously on here.

People claiming best starts etc, we need to put into context a bit here.
The team overachieved, with the same average players they have now, then we were in title challenging form, so overachieving.
Now we are in relegation form, so under achieving, as a club, we don't win leagues, so that's fine, we also won't get relegated, so that's good.
We are the club in the middle ground, unable to hit the heights, but good enough not to sink down the league or leagues.

Last edited:
The need has always been a striker and too many got sucked into Son is enough. It's flawed and short-term thinking.

A player in each area of the pitch is needed and of the necessary quality, with a striker being the most important.

Last edited:
The team overachieved, with the same average players they have now, then we were in title challenging form, so overachieving.
Now we are in relegation form, so under achieving, as a club, we don't win leagues, so that's fine, we also won't get relegated, so that's good.
We are the club in the middle ground, unable to hit the heights, but good enough not to sink down the league or leagues.
In which case you'd expect the board and owners to come to the logical conclusion that what's best for the clubs success is to win trophies such as the league and fa Cup,which is what we used to do with a few European trophies thrown in.

Which is why why I can never be arsed to rate a trf window.
I think you can rate it on whether enough was done, rather than who was bought.

I gave the TW a 5, as I just didn't think we'd done enough. Like you, I don't and won't rate a player until they've had at least half a season to bed in.

I expected a £200M window, but not when £100M of that is offset by Harry Kane. We made very good buys it seems, but we just didn't do enough.

Many of these so-called "average" players that have been dropping points recently weren't starting in the team of so-called "overachievers" that sent us to the top of the table unbeaten.

Don't pretend you're all content and zen about the club..... Your "I've come to terms with who we are" shtick is such a crock of shit. Someone that's at peace with who we are doesn't incessantly complain and predict the worst possible outcome of every scenario.

5th for a manger 3 months into a complete re-set is "middle ground" & "underachieving" is it?

I think you can rate it on whether enough was done, rather than who was bought.

I gave the TW a 5, as I just didn't think we'd done enough. Like you, I don't and won't rate a player until they've had at least half a season to bed in.

I expected a £200M window, but not when £100M of that is offset by Harry Kane. We made very good buys it seems, but we just didn't do enough.

You can do it on whatever basis one wishes; but the only essential outcome is the outcome itself......

..........Even doing "enough" depends on how and when those signings deliver.

Every player will hit the ground running (or not) according to a diff. time frame/rate (months if not years in some cases); none of us have a genuine grasp of what's "affordable" or not and unless a shortcoming bites you in the arse no-one's gonna worry about it longer term.... E.G. Lester won the league with a wafer thin squad; a perceivable lacking quality AND depth and I doubt you'll find any LCFC fan that would mourn their 15/16 trf windows after the fact.

(....And no; my point isn't "spend fuck all cos Lester", so stay in ya prams obv. troll types.)

Last edited:
Many of these so-called "average" players that have been dropping points recently weren't starting in the team of so-called "overachievers" that sent us to the top of the table unbeaten.

Don't pretend you're all content and zen about the club..... Your "I've come to terms with who we are" shtick is such a crock of shit. Someone that's at peace with who we are doesn't incessantly complain and predict the worst possible outcome of every scenario.

5th for a manger 3 months into a complete re-set is "middle ground" & "underachieving" is it?
Your in luck mate, had ignore off and see you quoted me.
I am quite Zen about my acceptance of the clubs status, surely accepting what we are is a good thing no?, it certainly cuts out too much heartache and hope.
As for middle ground, I am not referring to Ange, I'm referring to how we have been under set up since levy in charge.
Like I say, accepting what we are , means if in the future if we hit a high(league cup win possibly), then we cherish that moment more.
Don't forget, we are the only big six club that, doesn't deliver on anything, you know this, so why do we need to presume otherwise.
I will leave you off ignore hoping, for a one time half decent, non excitable, childish response, when you don't like something.
Here's hoping for a long term relationship here mate 💪👍

We have young CBs already and they aren't getting game time yet.

........But signing Gvardiol at a similar age for silly money is a big boy move?

"Impressing for Lille despite his age"

If that bloke is seen to be good enough to play now then who cares?

VDV was still playing U21s for Netherlands this time last year and had only 1 break-out season under his belt at Wolfsberg.

Last edited:
As I recall in the summer Tapsoba was a "top" buy and VDV was the cheapo Levy punt...

Nothing to do with Richard Arlison Richard Arlison just seemed related.

I don't think that was a hot take tbh. VDV had one season of senior football under his belt. Tapsoba is an experienced pro. And tbh he's part of the hottest property in football right now at Leverkeusen so it might not be a hot take now.

Maybe the thing that annoys me the most about the revisionary takes about Ange after a few bad results is the idea that he had it easy to start the season. Just the conditions he started with would have broken a fair few very high-level managers IMO.

Would this squad be where it is under any of the other top 8 managers? Maybe Pep?

........But signing Gvardiol at a similar age for silly money is a big boy move?

"Impressing for Lille despite his age"

If that bloke is seen to good enough to play now then who cares?

VDV was still playing U21s for Netherlands this time last year and had only 1 break-out season under his belt at Wolfsberg.
That's a big if, VDV come in straight away, Udogie needed a season on loan first, Veliz has got a few minutes here and there. We don't know if this fella speaks English, how he will deal with a move to England, how much time he needs to fit in. It's really down to Ange if we buy him to assess how good he is and when he will be ready.

Back
Top Bottom