January Transfer Thread 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't think that was a hot take tbh. VDV had one season of senior football under his belt. Tapsoba is an experienced pro. And tbh he's part of the hottest property in football right now at Leverkeusen so it might not be a hot take now.

Maybe the thing that annoys me the most about the revisionary takes about Ange after a few bad results is the idea that he had it easy to start the season. Just the conditions he started with would have broken a fair few very high-level managers IMO.

Would this squad be where it is under any of the other top 8 managers? Maybe Pep?

Klopp/Liverpool first season - 15/16:

8th / W16 / D12 / L10 - Win% = 42.11%
First 15 games = 23 points (Ange 27)
Final tally = 60 points.

Nicknamed: Brendan Klopp

Season 2 - 4th / 76 points

........But signing Gvardiol at a similar age for silly money is a big boy move?

"Impressing for Lille despite his age"

If that bloke is seen to good enough to play now then who cares?

VDV was still playing U21s for Netherlands this time last year and had only 1 break-out season under his belt at Wolfsberg.

VDV is a combination of excellent scouting, a manager that can identify what he really needs and actually coach it. He could have just as easily not looked so good in a different environment. He wasn't some veteran pro with experience of making it work in different environments.

He just had hunger, Something a few members of this squad could remember.

VDV is a combination of excellent scouting, a manager that can identify what he really needs and actually coach it. He could have just as easily not looked so good in a different environment. He wasn't some veteran pro with experience of making it work in different environments.

Which is what needs to be at the forefront of any of our purchases.

He just had hunger, Something a few members of this squad could remember.

Yup. Big props to Mickey....

Which is what needs to be at the forefront of any of our purchases.

Yup. Big props to Mickey....

Maddison and Sarr have that hunger too. Bentancur is another.

I thought Udogie had it but that mistake last night was so bereft of hunger is looked more like match-fixing. He needs to remember who he was at the start of the season and fuck that Chelsea red card off out of his head.

Maddison and Sarr have that hunger too. Bentancur is another.

+ Vic & Porro.

It's a much welcome basis for the kind of attitude/spirit that you're describing, but we need more... As many as we can get.

I thought Udogie had it but that mistake last night was so bereft of hunger is looked more like match-fixing. He needs to remember who he was at the start of the season and fuck that Chelsea red card off out of his head.

Happy to write last night off as simply an under-hit back-pass, TBH....... Rather than anything deeper. He's deceptively young and unfortunately defenders ricks get highlighted and punished more than anyone further up the pitch.

He also seemed to link up better with the likes of Perisic & Solomon than compared to Johnson...... Currently in advanced positions he looks a little like a spare-part rather than a conduit and fulcrum like before.

Go all in on these 3 Belgians:

Zeno Debast - CB
Arthur Vermeeren - CM
Johan Bakayoko - RW
Debast was the "next big thing" 2 seasons ago and all the big clubs were "watching" him...but then it went silent. But he's still just turned 20, which is young for a CB.
Is he really that good you think? He can't even keep Wout out of the Belgian starting XI.
Johan Bakayoko is 1 of the RWF I'd like Spurs to buy, the others being Takefusa Kubo, Pedro Neto, Matìas Soulè. Not sure which 1 I'd rather prefer (although I think Neto would be too pricey and he's also injury prone, so...)

Last edited:
Debast was the "next big thing" 2 seasons ago and all the big clubs were "watching" him...but then it went silent. But he's still just turned 20, which is young for a CB.
Is he really that good you think? He can't even keep Wout out of the Belgian starting XI.
Yes, he is that good. He had a bit of a dip like most youngsters will have but the last months he's been great again. Matter of time before he starts for Belgium.

Go all in on these 3 Belgians:

Zeno Debast - CB
Arthur Vermeeren - CM
Johan Bakayoko - RW
On Youtube he, Bakayoko, looks amazing - but so did 2 other WRF from Eredivisie, Antony & David Neres. One may also LWF, Depay.
It's really hard to shop from the Eredivisie since it's such a hit & miss "place" to buy players from. And their players aren't bargains anymore. £82m for Antony so far looks like a rip off.
Does Bakayoko track back properly and how is his work-rate and attitude?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xbf2CNWl00&t=232s

Back
Top Bottom