Jewish chronicle article on Spurs and the Y-Word

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

if a 'white' person says; you know, it's negative.
if a 'black' person says; you know, they're converting a negative into a positive.

if a 'rival fan' says; you know, it's negative.
if a 'spurs fan' says; you know, they're converting a negative into a positive.
Not sure what this has to do with white and black people.

People of every colour and creed sing yid army.

The one thing I dislike when us Spurs justify our use of it, is the comparison to the n word. It's not even close to the same issue. None of us have been bellowed and abused being called a yid whilst in chains for hundreds of years. Absolutely not the same.

We have better arguments without having to resort to that. And when we resort to that it just diminishes our case.

Last edited:
I'm Jewish, I got Jewish mates from London who don't mind at all, I know the former chief rabbi of the UK (who now sits in the lords) and I know he doesn't care (though he supports utd.).

They do not speak for all of us.

They want to see antisemitism in the UK? why don't speak to LibDem activists for 5 minutes, or Osborne and his nutters.

Agree with all the comments here, and as has surely been said a million times in threads before my time on here, it is just the same as the N word, which when thrown in the direction of a black person in hostile context by someone of a different race it is derogatory, rascist and meant to belittle and demean the individual it is aimed at. So black people then adopted it as their word and instantly that diminished the power of the word to the rascist filth, however it does not make it ok for it to continued to be used in the original, aggressive and disgusting way. I guess the Jewish council has to be seen to make comment on our use of the term or risk the backlash of 'why's it ok for them' obviously it would be better if they came out and said what we've all said here about there being two very different connotations out there, the way we use it as a sense of identity, unity and a belonging and the vicious hate filled way it is used against us.
Well no I don't think they have because people can't bring themselves to say nigger any more even in a non hostile context. Yid is clearly not on that level because people say it without fear.
I think the club should listen to the objections and explain the supporters side. Banning the word won't work, all that will happen is that people will say it just to defy the authorities.

This argument always angers me.

Supporting this club for years I have come across full on racism and casual racism from young kids even.

If anybody thinks our support is causing this issue they are absolutely clueless.

Let’s see how trying to ban us saying Yid works out again.

The police do absolutely fuck all while Chelsea and West Ham sing about auschwitz and running around the lane having foreskins.

They think that will stop if we stop? Not in my lifetime I’m guessing.

I’m not Jewish. It wouldn’t bother me if the use of the word in connection with Spurs stopped. I’d like to think that this would be because the diverse fan base did not feel it was relevant any more, rather than being made illegal as a result of campaigns by hypocrites like David Baddiel.

I’m not Jewish. It wouldn’t bother me if the use of the word in connection with Spurs stopped. I’d like to think that this would be because the diverse fan base did not feel it was relevant any more, rather than being made illegal as a result of campaigns by hypocrites like David Baddiel.
Has anyone actually asked Baddiel how he feels when his fellow Chelsea supporters hurl anti Semitic abuse at Spurs or what his reaction is?
And why he continues to support them?

Genuinely interested

Has anyone actually asked Baddiel how he feels when his fellow Chelsea supporters hurl anti Semitic abuse at Spurs or what his reaction is?
And why he continues to support them?

Genuinely interested

Our film was sparked by the behaviour of a Chelsea fan who, sitting a few seats behind me and Ivor one Saturday, decided to upgrade the chant – regularly heard at Stamford Bridge whenever anything Spurs-related comes up – to a more pointed one of "Fuck the fucking Yids! Fuck the fucking Jews!". The chant, and various antisemitic tropes which always grow out of it – involving hissing to represent gas and celebratory references to Auschwitz – exists far beyond White Hart Lane: at Chelsea, Woolwich, Millwall, West Ham, even at Ajax, in Amsterdam.

However, there is of course a particular issue with Tottenham, some of whose fans passionately feel the Y-word is part of their identity and that their chanting of it is wholly positive. I respect and acknowledge that. But here are the reasons why it is good that this is being addressed.

First, Spurs fans often tweet me, forcefully, to say that historically the chant was a response to antisemitic abuse levelled at them. That's as may be; but truly, it doesn't matter who started it. The fact is that whatever its origins, their continuing use of the Y-word legitimises and sustains the racist abuse aimed at Spurs by other fans.

Basically saying that "yes Spurs and Ajax use the term Yids positively but thats why its their fault when other fans hiss gas chamber noises at them"

:avbfacepalm:

An entire article and picture of our flag with YIDS on it, yet the "gas the jews" element is a mere by product that gets less than two lines.

Our film was sparked by the behaviour of a Chelsea fan who, sitting a few seats behind me and Ivor one Saturday, decided to upgrade the chant – regularly heard at Stamford Bridge whenever anything Spurs-related comes up – to a more pointed one of "Fuck the fucking Yids! Fuck the fucking Jews!". The chant, and various antisemitic tropes which always grow out of it – involving hissing to represent gas and celebratory references to Auschwitz – exists far beyond White Hart Lane: at Chelsea, Woolwich, Millwall, West Ham, even at Ajax, in Amsterdam.

However, there is of course a particular issue with Tottenham, some of whose fans passionately feel the Y-word is part of their identity and that their chanting of it is wholly positive. I respect and acknowledge that. But here are the reasons why it is good that this is being addressed.

First, Spurs fans often tweet me, forcefully, to say that historically the chant was a response to antisemitic abuse levelled at them. That's as may be; but truly, it doesn't matter who started it. The fact is that whatever its origins, their continuing use of the Y-word legitimises and sustains the racist abuse aimed at Spurs by other fans.

Basically saying that "yes Spurs and Ajax use the term Yids positively but thats why its their fault when other fans hiss gas chamber noises at them"

:avbfacepalm:

An entire article and picture of our flag with YIDS on it, yet the "gas the jews" element is a mere by product that gets less than two lines.
Wow

Sounds like the guy is in denial....

Its not a crime for us to use it
Fact
By the sounds of it we’re only associated with the ‘y’ word when it’s suits other people! If we had rejected it and got riled by it would everybody come to our defence and the authorities crack down on it because it was us........No,would they fuck but the fact we’ve embraced and turned it round and we’re not offended by it they’re not happy with that either can’t have both ways.

By the sounds of it we’re only associated with the ‘y’ word when it’s suits other people! If we had rejected it and got riled by it would everybody come to our defence and the authorities crack down on it because it was us........No,would they fuck but the fact we’ve embraced and turned it round and we’re not offended by it they’re not happy with that either can’t have both ways.

Exactly.....if Spurs fans got wound up by it Baddiel would be questioning why Spurs fans think being associated with “the Jews” is offensive, and keep reminding us of our “historical links”

"The Y-word was originally adopted in order to deflect such abuse," said a spokesperson. "We have always been clear that our fans (both Jewish and gentile) have never used the term with any deliberate intent to cause offence.

"A re-assessment of its use can only occur effectively within the context of a total clampdown on unacceptable anti-Semitism."

Bravo Spurs

Admin Admin

Can you move this to Spurs, its very much on topic

Back
Top Bottom