Joe Hart

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So, despite signing him, Mourinho think he's bad and because of that, he started him in a European play off round?
Not what I said.

Mourinho publicly apologised for not picking Hart in the least important competition against Chelsea.

Chelsea > Maccabi Haifa.

Explain that if Mourinho has full faith in Hart, will you?

:mourloopy:

No one is slagging the guy off in relation to last night's performance. There was nothing he could do about the goal but apart from that he wasn't exactly called upon to exert himself. It's simply that a lot of us have reservations about why he was brought to the club. After his spells at West Ham and Burnley (especially Burnley) I cannot see why Spurs decided to initiate Project Hart. It's a massive gamble if something happens to Hugo.
We have the club currently wheeling and dealing to try and strengthen the defence and stop leaking goals by bringing in players who, on paper at least, should breach those gaps. Yet between the sticks we have a World Cup winner who produces incredible and instinctive saves and then behind him is Joe Hart, to put it bluntly, yesterday's man. The chasm between the two is massive. Surely we should have protected this position better ??

In a word experience, for goalkeepers you can't beat having years of experience, nearly all the top keepers are the wrong side of thirty and many play until 35 or even 40. Joe should add a huge amount of training experience to out two excellent young keepers, as both of them are probably five years away from becoming regular EPL keepers Joe can also do a job as a competent back-up.

Having two rock solid experienced keepers means there is at least one position that Jose doesn't need to worry about.

Not what I said.

Errrrrmmm... Yes, it is.

You said 'If Mourinho thought he was good he would've started against Chelsea.'

Mourinho didn't start him against Chelsea, therefore you are saying Mourinho doesn't think that Joe Hart is good.

Mourinho publicly apologised for not picking Hart in the least important competition against Chelsea.

Big fucking deal. Mourinho publicly apologised for taking Dier off early against Olympiacos.

Maybe he was just being polite.

Maybe Hart had a slight knock, maybe Mourinho had decided to play Lloris against Chelsea and then rest him as part of his squad rotation during our ridiculous fixture schedule.

Chelsea > Maccabi Haifa.

Europa League > Carabao Cup

The Europa League is a route into the Champions League, yet Mourinho dropped Lloris.

Shock, horror!!!

Perhaps now you should argue that if Mourinho thought Lloris was good he would've started against Maccabi Haifa.

Maybe Lloris is being frozen out, maybe Mourinho is desperately trying to get rid of him before the end of the transfer window.

Maybe you're completely devoid of logic.

Or maybe you're just a troll who spouts opinions he doesn't really believe in the hope of getting some attention - in which case, you got me.

Well done.

Last edited:
Don’t want to be too critical but can someone explain to me how Hart became second choice? Gazziniga has moments last season where I thought he might actually become first choice and now he is third...
Hart was a shrewd buy but he isn’t better than Gazziniga.

Don’t want to be too critical but can someone explain to me how Hart became second choice? Gazziniga has moments last season where I thought he might actually become first choice and now he is third...
Isn't he? Goalkeepers get better with experience just compare the two

Joe Hart - 544 Club matches 75 International
Gazzaniga - 116 Club matches 1 International

Which one can come off the bench a few times a season and bring all that experience to bear on organising our back four? Gazza is a starting keeper for the future he's still got ten good years ahead of him, but Joe is the better back-up for right now.

Isn't he? Goalkeepers get better with experience just compare the two

Joe Hart - 544 Club matches 75 International
Gazzaniga - 116 Club matches 1 International

Which one can come off the bench a few times a season and bring all that experience to bear on organising our back four? Gazza is a starting keeper for the future he's still got ten good years ahead of him, but Joe is the better back-up for right now.
Joe Hart was a good keeper...5 plus years ago.
I don’t care for experience, I prefer the better GK. Right now, Gazziniga is better and I’d prefer to give a GK for the future experience than a GK we bought because he was cheap, home grown and a presence in the dressing room (valuable attributes but doesn’t make him second choice).

I don’t care for experience, I prefer the better GK. Right now, Gazziniga is better and I’d prefer to give a GK for the future experience than a GK we bought because he was cheap, home grown and a presence in the dressing room (valuable attributes but doesn’t make him second choice).
Can't argue with that, we just differ on how to use what we have, personally I would like Gazza to go out on loan and play 40+ games this season in the EFL ... that will develop him far more than another year on the Spurs bench.

Hart doesn't need developing he's got a few years left and then he's retiring, ideal bench warmer.

Either one can back-up Hugo, provided Hugo stays fit he will play 90% of all matches, the back up keeper will get just a few EL and Domestic cup games ... either Joe or Gazza can do that it won't make any real difference who it is.

Didn't Jose say he picked Hugo against Chelsea because he's the captain and he had to make a statement to send a message to the rest of the team that the game mattered? Which paid off.

Like everyone else I wasn't sure about Hart but he's been very good in the games he's played. You can't really ask for more than that from a second choice keeper.

Depends on how you assess a GK.

IMO Gazziniga ain't commanding in the box. He is Okayish shot stopper, but not great. Gazziniga was not tested at the absolute top level. Only thing he is better than Joe Hart is kicking. There is no telling how he can fare when we get there. You don't want to lose some key games by your GK doing a Karius.

Joe Hart has his flaw and is not at his best, but grooming him well over the season, it's more reassuring if we have to throw him into the deep end. Everything is still a gamble, mind.

Gazziniga got to play last season in absence of LLoris not because he was great, but because his competition is terrible , and we didn't have option rather sticking with him. Say we have Joe Hart last season, there would have been competition, and it wouldn't feel like Joe Hart stealing anyone spot without merit.

Not every GK would enjoy longevity , and 28 (few months till turning 29) is not young anymore to expect him to gain much more experience especially when not playing. 30+ years old and the reflex would naturally be slower and you start to rely on your previous experience more. Don't see how he ever become a starter material for ambitious clubs.

Last edited:
Agreed. I said before the match him starting made me nervous but he was good tonight.

He's also extremely vocal back there which I love.
Just as Lloris is and as we've also seen from Gazza.

He did display just how overemotional he can be though, which is still a big worry for me if he were to be called upon against a decent side. Just after they scored, in the next phase from the restart, the ball came into the penalty area (there was no issue, it wasn't an attack, he wasn't under pressure to kick) rather than pass the ball he simply leathered it in anger out for touch on the halfway line, still muttering to himself. Conceding possession to the opposition.

It's just a tiny thing, no biggie in the scheme of the game, but given his history and what's been said about him from numerous sources about his over-emotional state affecting not just his own performance but of those around him too, it's a red flag for me.

Thought that it was also interesting to note that the oppo had a shoot-on-site MO, test him at every opportunity, he tipped a couple around the corner to be fair to him so let's hope that gives him some much-needed confidence he can build on.

If he can stay humble and recognise just how fucking lucky he is to get what is genuinely a lifeline at a top football club having been cast aside by relegation contenders then that may give him a chance.

Because Nuno and Jose think he's better than Gazza. Simple really.

I have never thought that Gazza would become 1st choice, even in a few years. He is not good enough. As others have said, an OK shot stopper but he is a bit of a vampire.
At 28, if he was good enough, he would have been playing 1st team football for someone.
Everyone knows we are looking to offload players now and there has not even been one credible offer for him all summer, even after we got Hart in. (maybe Fulham but don't know how true that was).
Maybe that will change in the next few days, but as it stands that tells you everything about how other clubs view him.

Not what I said.

Chelsea > Maccabi Haifa.

Mourinho explained clearly why Lloris played that game. He said that with so many changes and big players not playing, the team needed to have their captain with them.

Maccabi was a more important game but also a much less testing opponent so Hart played that one. He also played against that Macedonian team in the previous qualifier.

Mourinho explained clearly why Lloris played that game. He said that with so many changes and big players not playing, the team needed to have their captain with them.

Maccabi was a more important game but also a much less testing opponent so Hart played that one. He also played against that Macedonian team in the previous qualifier.
I don't disagree with the material importance of Maccabi compared to the league cup but that's not what I'm saying.

I don't personally believe Mourinho trusted Hart to start against the much more difficult opposition of Chelsea, and all that talk about Lloris being the captain and showing the lads how important Chelsea is was a bunch of bollocks to protect the player (Hart).

Others can choose to believe otherwise and that's fine. I think Hart will be a liability if he is relied upon in big games (including any prem game), but I'll be happy to be proved wrong and eat as much humble pie as is going.

Maccabi Haifa didn't do it for me. If he even starts against West Brom in the league I will be fucking nervous. See some of his highlights for Torino, West Ham and Burnley and you'll see why.

Back
Top Bottom