Joe Rodon

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

we needed a starter cb who can walk in and start. rodon is a project which will take a few years. my scare this season is the defence.
I agree but I think that Jose has lost faith in Sanchez and Toby is on his last season.
Dier seems to be popular but for how long?
Rondon will be a good addition, although the idea of lending him back to Swansea seems ridiculous, if true. We are still trying for Skrinier in January and Tanganga should improve with a loan. Not such a bad outlook.

we needed a starter cb who can walk in and start. rodon is a project which will take a few years. my scare this season is the defence.

I would say Rodon would be seen as a long term replacement for Toby?? If we get Rodon I think we should loan him back to Swansea for the season for him to continue getting game time and integrate him into the first team as 3/4 choice next season, whilst looking to buy a top CB in jan/summer to play with Dier/Sanchez

I agree but I think that Jose has lost faith in Sanchez and Toby is on his last season.
Dier seems to be popular but for how long?
Rondon will be a good addition, although the idea of lending him back to Swansea seems ridiculous, if true. We are still trying for Skrinier in January and Tanganga should improve with a loan. Not such a bad outlook.
While I can't judge Rondon for how little I have seen him, the idea of him to be an important piece in immediate future plan over the like of Davidson Sanchez and Tanganga are a bitch a stretch. Very few players enjoy a smooth sailing coming into a PL that is aiming to become title contender. Tanganaga and Sanchez have enough experience for the bit part role if we could have sign Skriniar as a main starter CB. This looks like punt for the future, since even the loan back idea is being explored. Had we needed him for now, we would have tried to sign him during the normal window so we can register him for EL where he has better chance to get gametime.

While I can't judge Rondon for how little I have seen him, the idea of him to be an important piece in immediate future plan over the like of Davidson Sanchez and Tanganga are a bitch a stretch. Very few players enjoy a smooth sailing coming into a PL that is aiming to become title contender. Tanganaga and Sanchez have enough experience for the bit part role if we could have sign Skriniar as a main starter CB. This looks like punt for the future, since even the loan back idea is being explored. Had we needed him for now, we would have tried to sign him during the normal window so we can register him for EL where he has better chance to get gametime.
Mate, we're not after Rondon, but I agree that if we did, he wouldn't be replacing Davidson and Tanganga :mourthumb:

Last edited:
Ok but if we don't sign Skrinier ?......
Dier cannot be our final answer, Toby will be sold next summer,
That leaves Sanchez and Tanganga, with possibly Davies or Doherty at times.
I believe that Rondon looks like a great opportunity.
The idea that we have to buy very expensive foreigners for every position.
We MUST develop more players. Rondon will benefit from training with Ledley.
At present we only have Harry and Winks (if he plays)
Even though we buy young players from other clubs, we still don't seem to develop many.

I get what you are saying. And it would have been awesome to get Skriniar or someone else who could hit the ground running.
I myself ain't too sure either that Toby-Sanchez-Dier-Tanganga will be consistently good and reliable. Heck, despite the fact that United game was a hit, Sanches still gifted way utterly stupid penalty at the very start!

BUT, 2 things -

1) Some player is better than no player. If alternatives are - "our current options" or "our current options + Rodon" - I'd take latter. I don't think many expected Alli to step straight up from League One to EPL and become a starter. Nor that academy player such as Tanganga would start against Pool and be voted MoM against fellow EPL side soon after. So there is a chance he could hit the ground running even if we don't expect it to happen.
2) Even if he is a project with longer term, we will need this anyway as well! Toby is soon 32. We need young and upcoming players to take over the positions as well.

Ok but if we don't sign Skrinier ?......
Dier cannot be our final answer, Toby will be sold next summer,
That leaves Sanchez and Tanganga, with possibly Davies or Doherty at times.
I believe that Rondon looks like a great opportunity.
The idea that we have to buy very expensive foreigners for every position.
We MUST develop more players. Rondon will benefit from training with Ledley.
At present we only have Harry and Winks (if he plays)
Even though we buy young players from other clubs, we still don't seem to develop many.
If we don't sign Skriniar, I feel we will be in a market for another starter CB. It's not about expensive shiny toy. It's about giving the team that extra quality, so it can compete at top level and win.

We have bigger problem if we waste other players prime, by waiting for other players to develop just to win nothing. That may create a never-ending rebuild cycle. That was what happened with Woolrich under Wenger post Highburry.

Rodon would be a project type of signing. He may be here next season, but doesn't hinder our attempt for another CB signing IMO. By the report, it's clear the club think the same, or loan back option wouldn't have been explored. We need that extra quality, not an extra body in the squad that we can't give game time to develop. Training alone can't replace experience gaining from game time.

Last edited:
Quality tonight against poor opposition. Starting to like this guy, warming to the idea of the potential signing. Smart positionally, defended well against crosses, ball carriers and intercepted a few through balls. Passes the ball well, and had a knack for directing his headed clearances toward a teammate/away from danger areas. Only 22, looks to have the makings of a top player in the position.

If we don't sign Skriniar, I feel we will be in a market for another starter CB. It's not about expensive shiny toy. It's about giving the team that extra quality, so it can compete at top level and win.

We have bigger problem if we waste other players prime, by waiting for other players to develop just to win nothing. That may create a never-ending rebuild cycle. That was what happened with Woolrich under Wenger post Highburry.

Rodon would be a project type of signing. He may be here next season, but doesn't hinder our attempt for another CB signing IMO. By the report, it's clear the club think the same, or loan back option wouldn't have been explored. We need that extra quality, not an extra body in the squad that we can't give game time to develop. Training alone can't replace experience gaining from game time.
I do not believe the loan back rubbish.
And maybe he is as good or better than what we gave got now!
Why is everybody saying that he is a prospect. He is playing international football, it's not like he's 20 coming out of the academy !

Quality tonight against poor opposition. Starting to like this guy, warming to the idea of the potential signing. Smart positionally, defended well against crosses, ball carriers and intercepted a few through balls. Passes the ball well, and had a knack for directing his headed clearances toward a teammate/away from danger areas. Only 22, looks to have the makings of a top player in the position.
For me, aside from the apparent recommendation on him from Bale and Davies, the following attributes make him very attractive:

>6 foot 4
>defensive intelligence
>quick enough

Get that blend of attributes going under a good defensive coach and you could have a star. Oh, and the bonus that I believe he would count as homegrown for Europe unlike Davies.

Why is everybody saying that he is a prospect. He is playing international football, it's not like he's 20 coming out of the academy !
It depends. A loan back until January could make good sense if José doesn't think he'll get Premier League match time beforehand (being ineligible for our EL group stages games). It might also sweeten Swansea on the deal.

Then again, he might want to get him in and training with the squad ASAP, regardless of game time.

Many of those Wales players are not top quality. They get into the team due to lack of options.

For example: Dan James played for Wales, and now being found out as out of depth at Man U, with still very raw Mason Greenwood who freshly coming through their academy.

I don't want to write Rodon off as I stated I only saw very little of him. I just want people to have a balanced perspective. It's not always greener on the other side. We watched our players every game and knew their weakness, and being critical about them; while any newcomer are seen as positive despite these may end up being worse.

For me, aside from the apparent recommendation on him from Bale and Davies, the following attributes make him very attractive:

>6 foot 4
>defensive intelligence
>quick enough

Get that blend of attributes going under a good defensive coach and you could have a star. Oh, and the bonus that I believe he would count as homegrown for Europe unlike Davies.
Surely he wouldn't be counted as HG for Europe, for the exact same reasons that Davies isn't ?
Both at Swansea which come under the Welsh FA ?

Surely he wouldn't be counted as HG for Europe, for the exact same reasons that Davies isn't ?
Both at Swansea which come under the Welsh FA ?
Bugger. I'd heard there had been some kind of change to that rule that would have meant Rodon would be eligable for UEFA homegrown status but cannot find any source on that anywhere, so I must have been mistaken.

Apologies.

Bugger. I'd heard there had been some kind of change to that rule that would have meant Rodon would be eligable for UEFA homegrown status but cannot find any source on that anywhere, so I must have been mistaken.

Apologies.

He would count as HG.

Swansea switched to being under the governance, in part, of the English FA in 2012.

Which is why Davies doesn't count as HG.

Back
Top Bottom