Joe Rodon

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Many of those Wales players are not top quality. They get into the team due to lack of options.

For example: Dan James played for Wales, and now being found out as out of depth at Man U, with still very raw Mason Greenwood who freshly coming through their academy.

I don't want to write Rodon off as I stated I only saw very little of him. I just want people to have a balanced perspective. It's not always greener on the other side. We watched our players every game and knew their weakness, and being critical about them; while any newcomer are seen as positive despite these may end up being worse.
Any country could have overrated young players..signing a youngster is always a risk and doesn't matter if he plays for Wales or Germany. Can turn out to be either a Bale or a Daniel James

Any country could have overrated young players..signing a youngster is always a risk and doesn't matter if he plays for Wales or Germany. Can turn out to be either a Bale or a Daniel James
As the other person implied because a player who has international experience that would mean he can be as proven for top level. The point is Wales competition for position is not as tough as per Germany.

Bale was bought as a teenager for LB position, and even then we faced tough conpetition from Fergie Man U for his signature. How Bale transformed into world class attacker is another story. Joe Rodon is not exactly on the same status of hot prospect as Bale, for people to have this grass is greener on the other side talk.

Last edited:
As the other person implied because a player who has international experience that would mean he can be as proven for top level.
That's just rubbish argument.
Gotze and Paulinho are/were pretty full-blooded internationals for top teams. Doesn't mean they were great in their clubs eventually.

I could go on with more examples of internationals in top teams who are pretty ordinary players . Plain stupidity to say someone playing for Wales or Ivory Coast have a lesser chance of being a top player when examples of success stories are staring you in the face..

Get some defenders scaring the fairies and giving the old ladies a hard on. Lets hire Old G Mabbutt. I can not deal with Sanchez and Dier

That's just rubbish argument.
Gotze and Paulinho are/were pretty full-blooded internationals for top teams. Doesn't mean they were great in their clubs eventually.

I could go on with more examples of internationals in top teams who are pretty ordinary players . Plain stupidity to say someone playing for Wales or Ivory Coast have a lesser chance of being a top player when examples of success stories are staring you in the face..
Then you have issue with the other person, not me. If that's what all you're quoting me on.

You missed the point by mile for the next paragraph.

Not every player would become top players. Just because you have same nationality as the other you can be same as them! Great prospect with international experience get circled around very quickly by top flight clubs even in their teenage age. And can you really demand this young player to solve our problem, the way the other person trying to say about our other CBs failing to?

I get what you are saying. And it would have been awesome to get Skriniar or someone else who could hit the ground running.
I myself ain't too sure either that Toby-Sanchez-Dier-Tanganga will be consistently good and reliable. Heck, despite the fact that United game was a hit, Sanches still gifted way utterly stupid penalty at the very start!

BUT, 2 things -

1) Some player is better than no player. If alternatives are - "our current options" or "our current options + Rodon" - I'd take latter. I don't think many expected Alli to step straight up from League One to EPL and become a starter. Nor that academy player such as Tanganga would start against Pool and be voted MoM against fellow EPL side soon after. So there is a chance he could hit the ground running even if we don't expect it to happen.
2) Even if he is a project with longer term, we will need this anyway as well! Toby is soon 32. We need young and upcoming players to take over the positions as well.

I know quoting myself is bit of a d*ck move, but bare with me, it gets better :D :D

I was just thinking of parallels to Rodon and came to quite well-known one.
Leicester Söyöncü - he came to EPL when he was 22 - same age as Rodon. He had played 4200 minutes of Bundesliga football + 3000 minutes of Turkish league football.
Rodon has played 4200 minutes of Championship. It is not quite Bundesliga, but still he has some experience of physical and competitive league. Not totally impossible that with stronger team-mates around him, he could step up to EPL level.

Not guaranteed and not maybe even expected but surely a possibuility.

Many of those Wales players are not top quality. They get into the team due to lack of options.

For example: Dan James played for Wales, and now being found out as out of depth at Man U, with still very raw Mason Greenwood who freshly coming through their academy.

I don't want to write Rodon off as I stated I only saw very little of him. I just want people to have a balanced perspective. It's not always greener on the other side. We watched our players every game and knew their weakness, and being critical about them; while any newcomer are seen as positive despite these may end up being worse.
I think we need both Rodon and Skrinier. Our back 4 rarely keep a clean sheet and give away penalties.
It's no good having the best attack if we cannot defend our end !

I do not believe the loan back rubbish.
And maybe he is as good or better than what we gave got now!
Why is everybody saying that he is a prospect. He is playing international football, it's not like he's 20 coming out of the academy !

Because he's 22 and CB more than most is a position that you can see big improvement from ages 22-26. From what I've seen of him though he'd have plenty case for starting PL games for us this season.

Back
Top Bottom