Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We were when Leicester won the League, and despite everyone not wanting it that year, we let Danny fucking Simpson have a Premier League medal. We were at our peak when one of the worst United sides beat us 2-1 at Wembley in the FA Cup semifinal. We were at our peak when we let Stephan Lichtsteiner dominate us to throw us out of the Champions League against Juve. The CL Final run didn't represent our performances last year, it represented the desire of that team to do something, and yet, we still fucked it up in the Final itself. We were at our peak for 3 straight bastard years, and all we can show is the title of "The best team in history to never have won anything".
Many will tell you that we was never really in a position to win the league when Leicester done it but I remember them coming to the lane when we had plenty of chances to have won the game and yet got done late on with a goal from a corner, and that stage there was only a few points between us yet as usual we couldn't find the balls to have won and pile the pressures on.

Another thing... when Poch was close to being sacked, most people were resigned that this season will be a transitional one regardless of whether Poch is backed or sacked.

So here we are, just as some predicted. Why melt now considering this is a situation in which we saw us in?

So what do you want mate?

You seem to have it all figured out, so what should we do?
Sack Mourinho now and bring back Poch?

We've played poorly for over a year now - how is that going to be suddenly rectified and solved in 10 games?
I'm not looking for it to be rectified or changed in ten games, this is totally unrealistic. BUT, I am looking for green shoots of promise, I'm looking for a style of play, an identity to what we are, EVEN IF WE LOSE. I've seen absolutely nothing. The only positives have been the players are running for him and he's far better than Poch in front of the cameras (although if things go pear-shaped that will go in the opposite direction).

So to emphasise this further, take a look at Southampton. A team that even when they lose (and there have been many losses) it is clear that they are attempting to play their brand of football. Southampton is perhaps most interesting as for many the appointment of Hassenhuttl was seen as a shrewd move, but his team were getting beat week in week out, nonetheless when you watched them you could see exactly what they were trying to do. They didn't deviate from this now they are clicking, and only 2 points behind us having been bottom of the table (and poor last season too).

When Poch first arrived it took him time too but we didn't have to wait too long before there was a kernel of identity to witness and game by game, with certain players understanding and buying into it the results began to come in.

Jose isn't a project manager. He arrives at clubs that have already invested heavily in the market. The premise of his appointment is that he can get this squad of players, with a minor number of churn of course, into Title contenders for next season, these are Jose words BTW!!!

So, the concern is this team needs to be overhauled, that it's run its course, it, therefore, needs a new project manager to do this. Jose isn't a project manager. I believe we need to find us a project Manager, there are loads of managers that fit this bill (I've listed them in previous posts but I'm talking about a Naaglseman style coach a progressive football manager).

Why I wanted new manager? Because I got bored of same lineups, same boring tactics. But did Mourinho change much? Not really.

But I'll gove him summer transfer window and next season to prove us he changed.

Playing the likes of Eriksen and Dele even though they were shit most of the time.. I don't get the love. Poch was same with thoose two.

Why don't you play Lamela and Lo Celso and drop Dele on the bench?

Do something different please. I'm bored of privileged players.

We were when Leicester won the League, and despite everyone not wanting it that year, we let Danny fucking Simpson have a Premier League medal. We were at our peak when one of the worst United sides beat us 2-1 at Wembley in the FA Cup semifinal. We were at our peak when we let Stephan Lichtsteiner dominate us to throw us out of the Champions League against Juve. The CL Final run didn't represent our performances last year, it represented the desire of that team to do something, and yet, we still fucked it up in the Final itself. We were at our peak for 3 straight bastard years, and all we can show is the title of "The best team in history to never have won anything".
So you were one of the few "believers" back then I take it?

I'm not looking for it to be rectified or changed in ten games, this is totally unrealistic. BUT, I am looking for green shoots of promise, I'm looking for a style of play, an identity to what we are, EVEN IF WE LOSE. I've seen absolutely nothing. The only positives have been the players are running for him and he's far better than Poch in front of the cameras (although if things go pear-shaped that will go in the opposite direction).

So to emphasise this further, take a look at Southampton. A team that even when they lose (and there have been many losses) it is clear that they are attempting to play their brand of football. Southampton is perhaps most interesting as for many the appointment of Hassenhuttl was seen as a shrewd move, but his team were getting beat week in week out, nonetheless when you watched them you could see exactly what they were trying to do. They didn't deviate from this now they are clicking, and only 2 points behind us having been bottom of the table (and poor last season too).

When Poch first arrived it took him time too but we didn't have to wait too long before there was a kernel of identity to witness and game by game, with certain players understanding and buying into it the results began to come in.

Jose isn't a project manager. He arrives at clubs that have already invested heavily in the market. The premise of his appointment is that he can get this squad of players, with a minor number of churn of course, into Title contenders for next season, these are Jose words BTW!!!

So, the concern is this team needs to be overhauled, that it's run its course, it, therefore, needs a new project manager to do this. Jose isn't a project manager. I believe we need to find us a project Manager, there are loads of managers that fit this bill (I've listed them in previous posts but I'm talking about a Naaglseman style coach a progressive football manager).

You're entitled to your opinion but I would say that for at least half of the first season under Poch it was very average- seem to remember some awful performances losing at home to Newcastle and West Brom and losing 3-0 at home to Liverpool when they had Balotelli up front -so it's very easy in hindsight to sugar coat everything.

In Poch's first season we finished 5th on the last day.

Point is - you're judging Mourinho way too quickly - compared to that first season under Poch he hasnt had 5/6 weeks of pre season and barely any opportunity to get rid of or sign any players.

The two are not comparable in my opinion -you have to judge it further down the road.

Can you be absolutely sure Nagelsman or whoever you want is going to do a better job than Mourinho - no, beacuse nobody can predict that.

You clearly have an anti-Mourinho agenda

You're entitled to your opinion but I would say that for at least half of the first season under Poch it was very average- seem to remember some awful performances losing at home to Newcastle and West Brom and losing 3-0 at home to Liverpool when they had Balotelli up front -so it's very easy in hindsight to sugar coat everything.

In Poch's first season we finished 5th on the last day.

Point is - you're judging Mourinho way too quickly - compared to that first season under Poch he hasnt had 5/6 weeks of pre season and barely any opportunity to get rid of or sign any players.

The two are not comparable in my opinion -you have to judge it further down the road.

Can you be absolutely sure Nagelsman or whoever you want is going to do a better job than Mourinho - no, beacuse nobody can predict that.

You clearly have an anti-Mourinho agenda
I'm not judging him, I'm critiquing him. He can be judged at the end of this season.

We were largely crap under Poch for the last season and a half. The point is both Jose and The Board believed this team was still good enough to win the league and that a change of manager was required to rejuvenate the training sessions, the message and the team as a whole. This being the case then fine make the call, change the manager, in fact, Jose is a good hire because he should be able to quickly turn around the side.

But this team looks like it needs rebuilding, Jose isn't a rebuilder.

I want to see some signs of us playing to an identity, there have been none. We've had a small handful of games where we play a good half of football, but it's not been repeated, are we a pressing side, a possession team, a counter-attacking team? I'm not talking about results, we can lose games and still show signs of an identity emerging. There is zero evidence that we are developing into a side that's trying to play a certain way. Klopp didn't have a great first season but everyone watching them could see a clear identity of how he wanted them to play from the very first game which was against us.

I don't have an agenda, I do think he's past it as a manager though so don't confuse the two. I'd like nothing more for him to prove me wrong.

Maybe wrong thread but just to add to Klopp's first game against us the stats: only ONE current player (Henderson) was in that starting line up. We had TEN current players in that lineup. In that 4.5 yrs klopp has transformed that side. In that same time we've stayed the same with a new manager even! In 2 yrs JM will have gone and we'll achieve NOTHING !!! Mourinho is 10 years behind !!

I think the plan was to get to 70 minutes without conceding and then unleash Lamela and GLC.
I'd feel the same.

It isnt about yesterday. It's about the style of play, the strange selections, strange comments and I'm really worried about how the transfer policy will play out.

I've said all along him and levy are a match made in hell and nothing I've seen so far makes me think that's wrong. New manager bounce has worn off, 1 point from 18 , he already looks tired and is getting grumpy.

What happens in the summer if we sont spend a fortune and we start badly next season, he will be throwing tantrums left right and centre.

Oh man up for god sake. Worried about this, worried about that blah blah. Your wife must be proud of you.

Whatever manager we brought in would have exactly the same issues. Have you ever thought for one minute the issue is the players and not the manager?

This EPL season is over, for me he's trying to figure out who can be trusted and who can't. Problem is he doesn't seems tô figure Alli and Eriksen can't be trusted. Hope now, that we saw inprovements in defense agains Liverpool, he changes the midfield and attack next games, I can't stand Eriksen and Alli losing every ball anymore.

One thing I like about Jose is he will build a squad. He wont settle for this Kane can play every game nonsense.

To win trophies you need 2 good players in every position.

That is what we will move to. Its fundamental to his beliefs.

Give the man time and money and we will win trophies.

Maybe wrong thread but just to add to Klopp's first game against us the stats: only ONE current player (Henderson) was in that starting line up. We had TEN current players in that lineup. In that 4.5 yrs klopp has transformed that side. In that same time we've stayed the same with a new manager even! In 2 yrs JM will have gone and we'll achieve NOTHING !!! Mourinho is 10 years behind !!
Yet he has won trophies at every single club he has been at. Nonsense to think he's past it or 10 years behind. Is it 10 years since his last trophy? No it isn't. Even at a shite Utd he won 3 trophies.

One thing I like about Jose is he will build a squad. He wont settle for this Kane can play every game nonsense.

To win trophies you need 2 good players in every position.

That is what we will move to. Its fundamental to his beliefs.

Give the man time and money and we will win trophies.
We'll see

Football has moved on since Jose's pomp, it's not about going out and spending big on the best players. Jose might improve us, he might not. He might stay long enough to build a team, he might be away sooner than expected. Jose complained about defenders making mistakes then put Alderweireld and Vertongen together and watched them concede the same type of goals three matches in a row, the same goals they conceded earlier in the season when they played together.

And the whole Eriksen situation, what the fuck is going on there? Both managers this season persisting with a player offering nothing because.....

To get two good players in every position, how many will we need to sign? 12? 14?

Mourinho HAS to put faith in youth, it's how teams cope with heavy fixture schedules, it's how teams adapt and go forward. He has to go into games without his favourites and pick what's best for the team. Ultimately that was Poch's downfall, a reliance on 3 or 4 players. Tanganga showed he can step up and take over a position, he should now be a regular starter. Who knows, if he give Skipp or Parrott the same chance, he might get the same result from them.

Yet he has won trophies at every single club he has been at. Nonsense to think he's past it or 10 years behind. Is it 10 years since his last trophy? No it isn't. Even at a shite Utd he won 3 trophies.
He won two minor trophies (is the Charity shield a bigger trophy that say the Audi cup?) and the Europ League, a trophy most big teams don't want to be in.

And the cost for this??

Back
Top Bottom