Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Apologies mate, my previous answer to you was a childish attempt at point scoring. I was tired and pissed off last night. Not at you but in general.
So, I'm going to be totally genuine here, no games, no point scoring and no trying to be funny and I would appreciate if you (and others) answer in the same way. I know you have previously, just saying is all.

Of course Jose didn't use those words but the fact remains other teams with more spending power and, arguably, more attractive were also unable to get a striker. Saying that it's Levy's fault we didn't doesn't make sense and I'll explain why:

Our recruitment process has been a joke for a number of years. Who that is down to is debatable IMO. Yes Levy as CEO is ultimately responsible but we haven't had a DOF for a while now. I don't know who's "decision" that was. But I do have a number of questions that I honestly don't know the answer to, maybe someone on here does:

Did Levy agree to what Poch wanted in regard to a DOF ?

If so, is that still Levy's fault or should he be given credit for doing what the manager wanted, even if in hindsight it was a bad decision ?

How does our recruitment process work. Obviously we have scouts who have been given parameters to work under, such as age, sell on value, price and wages. Obviously some on here just shout "spend more money" but that's not going to happen under Levy. So how does it actually work ?

A scout identifies a player and submits a report to this "committee" we keep hearing about. ?
The player is discussed and Levy, the same as any chairman, has the final say regarding costs. ?
The manager at the time (Poch or Jose) then agrees or disagrees on signing the player ?

And this is really my issue;
If the above is true (or somewhere near the truth) Why do we keep buying fucking midfielders when everyone knows we've been crying out for a DM, CBs, FBs and yes another striker for the last two windows.
Whose fault is it really ?

Have the scouts not identified a striker, within the parameters set ?
If so they should be sacked, there are strikers out there, albeit they are the most expensive type of player.

Levy's for not "spending more money" ?

The manager at the time, for not saying "I don't want that lad, I want the money to be spent on a striker ?

Or is it (as I believe) a combination of all of the above ?

Levy has been reported as being a very tough negotiator but also as a very honourable one. Once a deals been agreed, nothing changes. Indeed an agent of a player we were after (Coutinho ?) even came out and said that a deal had been agreed with Levy, all the financials were agreed and it was Poch who then said he didn't want him and the deal didn't happen. So,obviously Levy listens to his managers.

If we look at the facts, we've bought in midfielder after midfielder, which were not needed. Spending over £130m in the last two windows without addressing the areas of the team which are desperately short.

If Poch or Jose really, really (desperately) wanted a striker and as any good manager should be, was in constant communication with Levy about it why wasn't at least some of that money used to buy one ?

That is the thing I really can't get my head around, if our managers were desperate for a striker why did we spend £130m needlessly (mostly) on midfielders, when we have evidence that Levy listens to his managers regarding signings ?
Your apology speaks volumes for you mate.

I, and others on here could learn a lot from people like yourself.
A better man than me. And I genuinely salute your for your integrity.

:adesalute:

As for your other points, I know you passionately believe in what your saying.
I disagree with a lot of your sentiments, but as we've been over them so many times, I'd prefer to let things lie and see how the next window turns out.

Then we can start all over again ;)

Your apology speaks volumes for you mate.

I, and others on here could learn a lot from people like yourself.
A better man than me. And I genuinely salute your for your integrity.

:adesalute:

As for your other points, I know you passionately believe in what your saying.
I disagree with a lot of your sentiments, but as we've been over them so many times, I'd prefer to let things lie and see how the next window turns out.

Then we can start all over again ;)
Fair enough and thanks.

TBH I'm not expecting much for the next 2 windows due to Covid.
I had previously said I would judge Levy/ENIC on how they did after the stadium was completed and the debt was put into long term bonds (hence happy with spending £130m+ in the last 2 TWs), but this Covid has fucked everything up for a lot of teams.

And this is really my issue;
If the above is true (or somewhere near the truth) Why do we keep buying fucking midfielders when everyone knows we've been crying out for a DM, CBs, FBs and yes another striker for the last two windows.
Whose fault is it really ?

We don't 'keep buying midfielders'.

Ndombele - replacing Dembele
Gedson - Sissoko, Lamela and Winks injured, Ndombele unift.
Lo Celso - Replacing Eriksen
Bergjwin - Moura turns 28 next month. Squad rotation/competition.
Clarke - One of the future. Potential to turn a profit if we don't use him.

Do we need to buy a DM? - We have Skipp, Winks and Dier. Its up to our coaches to make them good enough.

CB - Tanganga promoted from academy is essentially like a new signing. Assuming Jan leaves, we need a signing here this summer.

FB - We signed Sess, extended Davies contract. Cover for Aurier remains an issue.

Do we need to buy a DM? - We have Skipp, Winks and Dier. Its up to our coaches to make them good enough.

CB - Tanganga promoted from academy is essentially like a new signing. Assuming Jan leaves, we need a signing here this summer.

FB - We signed Sess, extended Davies contract. Cover for Aurier remains an issue.

Yes we do.... Winks was never a DM to begin with (failed experiment). Maybe Dier can refind some form as a backup, but our rebuild cant be reliant upon that idea.... Skipp needs gametime desperately (imo that means a loan even if that's in the championship).

Yes we do.... Winks was never a DM to begin with (failed experiment). Maybe Dier can refind some form as a backup, but our rebuild cant be reliant upon that idea.... Skipp needs gametime desperately (imo that means a loan even if that's in the championship).

I think he will start Dier in midfield with Winks against Man Utd. If we look back to his first game against West Ham that was his starting midfield.

I think he will start Dier in midfield with Winks against Man Utd. If we look back to his first game against West Ham that was his starting midfield.

If, after 3 months with nothing to do apart from get fit, Ndombele hasn't made himself irresistible as a starter then we may as well get rid.

Last edited:

Eh ?

In the last two windows we have bought, as in paid money for;
Ndombele
Gedson
Lo Celso
Bergjwin
Clarke
Sess (I would class as a LW/wide midfielder)

They are all midfielders.

RBs
Aurier

LBs
Davies
That's it, no cover for either FB, so it means putting square pegs in round holes.

DM,
Choosing from Winks/Dier/Sissoko/Skipp. None are either good enough or natural DMs. Skipp could be but he wasn't rated good enough by either Poch or Jose, so desperately needs a loan to see if he is good enough.

Not forgetting of course, the elusive, lesser spotted, back up striker.

Last edited:
Eh ?

Ndombele
Gedson
Lo Celso
Bergjwin
Clarke

RBs
Aurier

LBs
Davies
That's it, no cover for either FB, so it means putting square pegs in round holes.

DM,
Choosing from Winks/Dier/Sissoko/Skipp. None are either good enough or natural DMs. Skipp could be but he wasn't rated good enough by either Poch or Jose, so desperately needs a loan to see if he is good enough.

Tbf we did buy a fair few defenders in the poch era just most turned out rubbish

Season 14/15

Davies
Fazio
Yedlin
Dier

Season 15/16

Toby
Wimmer
Trippier

Season 17/18

Sanchez
Aurier
Foyth

plus defensive midfielders like Wanyama & Stambouli and tbh Sess should be counted as a defender

Tbf we did buy a fair few defenders in the poch era just most turned out rubbish

Season 14/15

Davies
Fazio
Yedlin
Dier

Season 15/16

Toby
Wimmer
Trippier

Season 17/18

Sanchez
Aurier
Foyth
Yeah, you're right we did but I was talking about the most recent years.
We did buy players in different positions previously only now it "appears" to be midfielders only.
Of course we had to replace Dembele and Erikson but that's only 2 and we bought, or loaned, 6.

I would have preferred that money to be spent on one of two things;
Sign 2 top quality midfielders (not saying Lo Celso isn't, Ndombele good be great if fitness is sorted)
or
Sign players where we are short.

Yeah, you're right we did but I was talking about the most recent years.
We did buy players in different positions previously only now it "appears" to be midfielders only.
Of course we had to replace Dembele and Erikson but that's only 2 and we bought, or loaned, 6.

I would have preferred that money to be spent on one of two things;
Sign 2 top quality midfielders (not saying Lo Celso isn't, Ndombele good be great if fitness is sorted)
or
Sign players where we are short.
No doubt the next two window we need to go for defensive players only.

If after 3 months with nothing to do apart from get fit, Ndombele hasn't made himself irresistible as a starter then we may as well get rid.

It seems like GLC isn’t ready so I expect he will come in next to those two. Might be quite interesting to see what he could do in a midfield in a freer role with the 3 of Son, Kane and Bergwijn together.

It seems like GLC isn’t ready so I expect he will come in next to those two. Might be quite interesting to see what he could do in a midfield in a freer role with the 3 of Son, Kane and Bergwijn together.

Yes, I'm keen to see that; either as a #8 in a 433 or #10 in a 4231.... We haven't got a suitably dominant DM to facilitate playing him in a duo.

Last edited:
Eh ?

Ndombele
Gedson
Lo Celso
Bergjwin
Clarke

RBs
Aurier

LBs
Davies

DM,

Again, we don't 'keep buying' midfielders. We are replacing outgoing players. Not always like for like; but squad places all the same.

Dembele -> Ndombele
Wanyama -> Gedson
Eriksen -> Lo Celso
N'Koudu -> Bergjwin
Onomah -> Clarke
Rose -> Sess (for now, his is a left back)

Not replacing Trips and Llorente has been a big issue.

Again, we don't 'keep buying' midfielders. We are replacing outgoing players. Not always like for like; but squad places all the same.

Dembele -> Ndombele
Wanyama -> Gedson
Eriksen -> Lo Celso
N'Koudu -> Bergjwin
Onomah -> Clarke
Rose -> Sess (for now, his is a left back)

Not replacing Trips and Llorente has been a big issue.
So, we don't keep buying midfielders, but all we've bought is midfielders. (Sess is a LWB at best).
It's true we have replaced those outgoing players but did we need to replace all of them is the question.

Again, we are/were short in DM, FB. Our CBs need replacing, no back up striker (the least of our worries imo) and we just did not and have not addressed those issues.
We have 13 1st team midfielders in a squad of 25, to fill 5 places if we're playing 4-2-3-1. Ten would be enough IMO leaving 3 places for a RB, a LB and a DM.

Our defence is shite, we have no cover for our FBs ,we haven't had a proper/good DM, for years and nothing has been done about it.

Back
Top Bottom