Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think you are right in terms of competing for a championship, the players are not good enough. But changing Mourinho for a manager that doesn't set up to play for a 0-0 draw and focus so much on negative tactics could definitely improve the club for the short term.

For example if instead of what we put out yesterday we went with something like:

Lloris
Doherty-Toby-Sanchez-Davies
PEH-Ndombele
Son-Alli-Bergwijn
Kane
We are likely in a much better position to threaten Everton. I would persoanlly take Alli out but we really don't have a great option for him. Maybe move into a 4-4-2 with Son and Kane up front and Bergwijn and Lamela on the wings.

Having a manager that doesn't insist on keeping Davies at LB to fit a silly LB does nothing formation would immediately help us be more competitive.

Not sure he's setting up for a 0-0 but I am sure he needs to figure out who shouldn't ever be starting matches for us. He seems hung up on 3 or 4 players being first on the team sheet that I wouldn't put on the bench.

Your answer basically helps my point.

The fact that you think Bergwijn should start instead of Lucas (which I agree) has nothing to do with the fact that Lucas is performing better under Jose than he was before him. And the fact that Aurier played more matches last season doesn´t change the fact that his contribution per game was his best since the 2013-14 season, playing for Tolouse.

About Jose being the man for the job - or not. Again, you basically agreed with my point. We don´t have enough facts to answer this question yet. The fact that you believe he is not right for us based on his previous experiences is not different at all from someone who believes in the opposite - that he will be the man for Tottenham, based on his previous successful experiences. As I was answering someone else, I´m not saying Jose is good now/right for Tottenham because he´s been good for other clubs. I´m saying there wasn´t enough time to judge him, so to back him or to criticize him, please, let´s use the current facts - and not a book wrote in 2011.
I listed quite a few reasons that he is not right for us based on current experiences. Sure I threw in a bit of his past for context but when you say “you think he is not right for us based off previous experiences” this is in correct.

The fact that Bergwijn is and hasn’t been starting ahead of lucas ties in to my over arching point that Jose is not the right man for us as it’s jose that picks the teams.

I don’t see how anyone can look at the performances we have churned up (barring the initial 5-6 game new manager bounce) and take any positives from his time here.

Even with poch there were signs at the beginning of what was to come, I have seen nothing in almost a year from Jose. The only part I did like was the new manager bounce I mentioned and that was just simply Jose coming in and telling the team to pick themselves up and get on with it. As soon as he actually had time with the team to make his mark the performances went to shit.

We don’t have the players for the system he is trying to implement and a better manager would see this and adapt. . .

I listed quite a few reasons that he is not right for us based on current experiences. Sure I threw in a bit of his past for context but when you say “you think he is not right for us based off previous experiences” this is in correct.

The fact that Bergwijn is and hasn’t been starting ahead of lucas ties in to my over arching point that Jose is not the right man for us as it’s jose that picks the teams.

I don’t see how anyone can look at the performances we have churned up (barring the initial 5-6 game new manager bounce) and take any positives from his time here.

Even with poch there were signs at the beginning of what was to come, I have seen nothing in almost a year from Jose. The only part I did like was the new manager bounce I mentioned and that was just simply Jose coming in and telling the team to pick themselves up and get on with it. As soon as he actually had time with the team to make his mark the performances went to shit.

We don’t have the players for the system he is trying to implement and a better manager would see this and adapt. . .
I considered what you wrote about the current situation, but I thought it was not enough to build a case/form a definitive opinion on whether he is the right manager for us - or not. In resume, you believe he is not based on previous experiences - which is ok; I believe in the opposite for the same reason, I just try to judge him exclusively by his work at Spurs. With all the problems you´ve listed, the truth is that we went from 14th to 6th without almost half of a team last season, and, after half of a pre-season, we only had one game (a terrible one) to judge the evolution of his work.

p.s: you didn´t mention Aurier´s contribution per game - your argument before was the amount of matches he played, which was not my point.

What if they don't?

I am talking about playing better players over weaker players. I guess it could not work out but more often than not playing your best players is the best plan.

I also said it would be a short term fix to improve the squad not a solution, I have been as loud as anyone about the squad needing a major overhaul.

I am not sure about a mentality problem that seems like a cop out. There is a lack of talent problem in the squad and management. We can change the mentality all we want if we don't bring in talent it won't mean shit.
Watch the Last Dance on Netflix and you will understand what I mean about mentality. There are players in this team who are skillful but have never pushed themselves to win something.

It says he got away with it with the likes of Hazard and Ronaldo.
I countered with we only have Kane with a (football) brain.
No one else will close to working this shit out for themselves like his other players.
Even Son.
We had one of the most lethal attacks in Europe, they are STILL here.

What we are seeing is a managerial problem. Take a look at how RB Leipzig play, how Leeds play. I'm watching Brighton play Chelsea right now, they are losing 1-0 to a pen but play better than us. These are championship level players, coached brilliantly and it shows. There are many more teams to add to that list.

Spurs were also once in that mould. They were coached well, played well and competed way above their level as a consequence. Competed with teams who spent many multiples of monies more than us, they were better than the sum of their parts. With individual players improving. Beisla has taken a Championship side that's barely had any new additions since he's been there but he has improved almost every player and has them playing better football than us. This is COACHING.

Watch the Last Dance on Netflix and you will understand what I mean about mentality. There are players in this team who are skillful but have never pushed themselves to win something.

I'll pass on anything to do with that prick Jordan.

I don't buy that at all. If we switched some of these players onto to City the past 5 years I doubt that City would all of a sudden be dropping trophies or not winning titles. I don't think they would have to change a single thing about them to all of sudden have a winning mentality.

I also doubt that if you took someone with a winning mentality and dropped them into Burnley that all of a sudden Burnley is racking up the trophies either.

With individual players improving. Beisla has taken a Championship side that's barely had any new additions since he's been there but he has improved almost every player and has them playing better football than us. This is COACHING.

Its probably why is his 40 years of coaching Bielsa has so many titles, trophies and amazing seasons of outstanding results.

Graham Potter too, just an amazing record of results and successes.

What if they don't?

I am talking about playing better players over weaker players. I guess it could not work out but more often than not playing your best players is the best plan.

I also said it would be a short term fix to improve the squad not a solution, I have been as loud as anyone about the squad needing a major overhaul.

I am not sure about a mentality problem that seems like a cop out. There is a lack of talent problem in the squad and management. We can change the mentality all we want if we don't bring in talent it won't mean shit.
N’Dombele pretty much passed the ball to Everton with every touch??

I'll pass on anything to do with that prick Jordan.

I don't buy that at all. If we switched some of these players onto to City the past 5 years I doubt that City would all of a sudden be dropping trophies or not winning titles. I don't think they would have to change a single thing about them to all of sudden have a winning mentality.

I also doubt that if you took someone with a winning mentality and dropped them into Burnley that all of a sudden Burnley is racking up the trophies either.

Fair enough, you don’t like Jordan. The thing is, Guardiola was beaten 2-0 by this team. Wonder where all his wizardry tactics and god levels were that night he was spanked by Spurs.

N’Dombele pretty much passed the ball to Everton with every touch??

He made at least 4 passes that cut right through the Everton midfield and are the exact type of passes we need and the exact kind of passes Winks can't (or won't) make.

Yes he was poor but as mentioned before he wasn't any worse then guys like Moura, Winks, Sissoko, Alli and at least to go with his poor peformance he had those 4-5 great passes that they did not.

Its a very low bar but that is where we are at right now.

We had one of the most lethal attacks in Europe, they are STILL here.

What we are seeing is a managerial problem. Take a look at how RB Leipzig play, how Leeds play. I'm watching Brighton play Chelsea right now, they are losing 1-0 to a pen but play better than us. These are championship level players, coached brilliantly and it shows. There are many more teams to add to that list.

Spurs were also once in that mould. They were coached well, played well and competed way above their level as a consequence. Competed with teams who spent many multiples of monies more than us, they were better than the sum of their parts. With individual players improving. Beisla has taken a Championship side that's barely had any new additions since he's been there but he has improved almost every player and has them playing better football than us. This is COACHING.
Totally agree ! Instead we have a manager who deemed it that bringing on sissoko from a bench of lamela , Bergwijn and ndombele was the way to win the game with score at 0-0. Replace a malfunctioning attacking player with a malfunctioning ‘footballer’ who offers absolutely no creativity and ball retention. It’s like playing with 10 men. He should have put on lamela and stuck him on Janes to do his dirty fouls. That is the most shocking thing that this serial winner thought having davies, dier, winks, sissoko and Moura was going to win the game !

Fair enough, you don’t like Jordan. The thing is, Guardiola was beaten 2-0 by this team. Wonder where all his wizardry tactics and god levels were that night he was spanked by Spurs.

Teams lose.

I may have missed it but in the big European leagues teams lose all the time. Are we now pointing to one loss for a team that has multiple titles and trophies over the past 5 years as some sort of evidence that talent and skill don't win.

I guess his skill that night was taking a night off from running rampant over the league since arriving in the PL. But I'm sure if WBA just change their mentality it will be them taking the title this year and not loser teams like City and Liverpool relying on their stupid skill.

Its probably why is his 40 years of coaching Bielsa has so many titles, trophies and amazing seasons of outstanding results.

Graham Potter too, just an amazing record of results and successes.
I find it absolutely bizare that this level of analysis exists.

We are playing fucking shit mate! Can you not see this? Seriously can you not see how utterly shit we are? Can you not see that BRIGHTON are playing better than us? Can you not see that WOLVES played us off the park? That EVERTON played us off the park? We are SHIT. We are NOT improving and he's been here TEN MONTHS!! TEN!! What has he done in this time? What has he improved? Do you think we are good?

He made at least 4 passes that cut right through the Everton midfield and are the exact type of passes we need and the exact kind of passes Winks can't (or won't) make.

Yes he was poor but as mentioned before he wasn't any worse then guys like Moura, Winks, Sissoko, Alli and at least to go with his poor peformance he had those 4-5 great passes that they did not.

Its a very low bar but that is where we are at right now.
Definitely ‘not worse than Sissoko’. Sissoko was at least energetic for a bit. However, game had fallen apart even at that stage.

I was really hopeful that Tanguy would have come on and taken on their MF, perhaps cut some passes through. In reality, he did it about twice, then kept passing it to Everton. After that, I think he decided to sit back and resort to sideways / Winks-style passes as he didn’t want to take the responsibility of pushing on.

Very little to praise from anyone, really.

Would we have been worse with him on for 90? Dunno, he was pretty invisible after he’d been on for 5 minutes - but the same - as you say, can be said for everyone.

Shit-show.

We are playing fucking shit mate! Can you not see this? Seriously can you not see how utterly shit we are? Can you not see that BRIGHTON are playing better than us? Can you not see that WOLVES played us off the park? That EVERTON played us off the park? We are SHIT. We are NOT improving and he's been here TEN MONTHS!! TEN!! What has he done in this time? What has he improved? Do you think we are good?
You should lie down.

That is a lot of ranting about us and Jose when I didn't mention either. I have stated elsewhere that I would change the manager and would have in the "summer."

But to address some of your points. No I have not seen Brighton playing better than us, not even close. I haven't even really seen them playing that much better than they did under Hughton who was there before Potter, much like Swansea didn't play a whole lot better when he got there either.

I was not happy with our play on Sunday but I think Everton playing us off the park is a bit extreme.

As I have mentioned before Wolves played so much better than us that they have finished behind us each year they have been in the PL, gone out earlier than us in Cup competitions and lost to worse teams in Europe than we did in a lesser competition than us the one time they managed to qualify for Europe. So great if they PLAYED US OFF THE PARK, but not great in terms of what that actually means.

I know people love to talk up Potter and Bielsa as some sort of amazing coaches and tactical genius' but at some point you would think that would translate to results and both are very thin on those. If you are happier watching that style and sacrificing winning go right ahead, but there is no need to overrate them in the process.

I personally would prefer to watch good football and win.

Back
Top Bottom