Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't think Jose was at all at fault for Salah flopping at Chelsea (he was somewhat at fault for De Bruyne imo) but he did only play him 11 times in all competitions so he was going to leave if Mou stayed regardless.

Anyhow, if anyone remembers Salah's games from back in 2014 or whatever you'll remember that he was fucking shit.

Jose Joins Chavs: Aug 13
Signed Salah: Jan 14 - 19 apps (13 EPL)
Loan Florentina: Jan 15
Loan Roma: Aug 15
Jose left: Dec 15
Sold: Aug 16

Jose Joins Chavs: Aug 13
Signed Salah: Jan 14 - 19 apps (13 EPL)
Loan Florentina: Jan 15
Loan Roma: Aug 15
Jose left: Dec 15
Sold: Aug 16
Right not 11 but 19. Anyway, he played like twice in the league in 6 months. I think you're right anyway.

Salah was very poor in most of those games and didn't deserve to start more games

Genuine question, not trying to dig him out or start a jose out debate.

Why do we persist with hoofing the ball up field so often? Kane has never been an aerial monster or a physically dominant striker. Sure he scores headers and is reasonably strong but that doesn’t mean he is suited to these sorts of tactics.

We also insist on playing this way even when Kane isn’t on the field. Is there a chance that Jose will move away from this tactic? We now have midfielders that are more suited to playing out from the back then before, and when we do progress the ball this way we tend to have more success.

Im not a tactics expert so I honestly would like someone to explain this to me, why does Jose instruct them to do this so often? Am I missing something?

Why do we persist with hoofing the ball up field so often?

I'm not a tactics expert so I honestly would like someone to explain this to me, why does Jose instruct them to do this so often? Am I missing something?
I am no expert but we hoofed v Soton and won 5-2.
We didn't hoof tonight.

Why do we persist with hoofing the ball up field so often? Kane has never been an aerial monster or a physically dominant striker. Sure he scores headers and is reasonably strong but that doesn’t mean he is suited to these sorts of tactics.

We also insist on playing this way even when Kane isn’t on the field. Is there a chance that Jose will move away from this tactic? We now have midfielders that are more suited to playing out from the back then before, and when we do progress the ball this way we tend to have more success.

Im not a tactics expert so I honestly would like someone to explain this to me, why does Jose instruct them to do this so often? Am I missing something?
Funnily, best player to hoof it to is Dele making a run. Maybe spraying it out wide to the fullbacks. Not only is long ball suboptimal, we are doing it in an especially bad way at the moment.

That said, I'm not going to fuss much if Lloris blasts it out occasionally - sometimes we just need to win a 50/50.

I am no expert but we hoofed v Soton and won 5-2.
We didn't hoof tonight.
No we didn’t hoof it vs Southampton. Kane played balls over the top to son after the ball had already progressed through midfield or on one occasion was passed straight to him along the ground from sanchez.

That is NOT hoofball, I’m talking about us smacking the ball aimlessly up field from the CB area and hoping we win second balls. It barely ever works and we don’t have the players for it.

Funnily, best player to hoof it to is Dele making a run. Maybe spraying it out wide to the fullbacks. Not only is long ball suboptimal, we are doing it in an especially bad way at the moment.

That said, I'm not going to fuss much if Lloris blasts it out occasionally - sometimes we just need to win a 50/50.
I don’t mind Lloris doing that either when we are under pressure, I’m not saying never do it just why do we do it so often when it doesn’t bear fruit?

We're not an elite level Club such as Bayern, we've won our domestic League twice, the last time was almost 60yrs ago. We've only qualified to play in Europe's top competition six times, they've won it as many times from qualifying for it just the 36 times.
Yeah we are shit midtable club so let's keep that up ?
No , we have to remodel ourselves to the big clubs around , those club who banging on about youth are usually only feeder for the bigger club and that's what we should avoid to be

I don’t mind Lloris doing that either when we are under pressure, I’m not saying never do it just why do we do it so often when it doesn’t bear fruit?
We have an entire starting back 6 who literally can not play out from the back. We have no other choice. Also, I'm not sure Mourinho can coach a team well enough t play out of the back in the current PL. His style simply doesn't lend itself to it. It requires too much positional play and rehearsed patterns.

Either way, if we start Lloris; Doherty, Toby, Dier, Reguilon; PEH, Sissoko... That is maybe 2 players who are technically capable of it. The rest simply can not do it. It's not an option for us. So it's dribble or long balls.

We have an entire starting back 6 who literally can not play out from the back. We have no other choice. Also, I'm not sure Mourinho can coach a team well enough t play out of the back in the current PL. His style simply doesn't lend itself to it. It requires too much positional play and rehearsed patterns.

Either way, if we start Lloris; Doherty, Toby, Dier, Reguilon; PEH, Sissoko... That is maybe 2 players who are technically capable of it. The rest simply can not do it. It's not an option for us. So it's dribble or long balls.
We are worse at winning second balls up field than we are playing out from the back. Dier and Toby can quite easily make 10-15 yard passes facing forwards, they did it all the time under poch. Every fullback we have at the club is perfectly comfortable passing out from the back, and sissoko shouldn’t really be starting anymore so I don’t see the problem.

Surely a manager of Jose’s experience can coach a simple “pass out from the back” Routine. It doesn’t always have to be used, I’m fine with us going long sometimes but pick our moments and make them count.

Use the hoofball as a tactic to keep the opposition guessing, don’t make it our main point of attack because if we end up conceding first against lesser teams then we are fucked. We spend so much time hoofing the ball up field that we aren’t used to playing through a team and it makes it easy for them to sit back and defend. We become so predictable.

It’s the main reason we are struggling against farmers, we look like strangers in possession,

Mourinho never fancy playing it from the back because it's risky, most of the time you are done for if your player get dispossessed in the back , we have seen team like madrid , barca , city conceded because of their attempt to play it from the back.
Beside it requires good technical player to do so.

No we didn’t hoof it vs Southampton. Kane played balls over the top to son after the ball had already progressed through midfield or on one occasion was passed straight to him along the ground from sanchez.

That is NOT hoofball, I’m talking about us smacking the ball aimlessly up field from the CB area and hoping we win second balls. It barely ever works and we don’t have the players for it.

We don't do it that much. Usually it's the defenders being pressed and not having enough options in front of them to pass too, midfielder hiding and not showing for the ball so the defenders play safe and hoof it forward. Also our defenders are not very confident on the ball which doesn't help

Basically yes , they don't have a single one of their graduation starts
Thomas Muller is from their academy.

They have just opened (2017) a brand new academy that they spent €100m on build it, but yeah just ticking a box.
1140930_imgw968.jpg

Back
Top Bottom