Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Why shouldnt he of not won more with those teams? If he did so well? If he was this amazing manager your declaring why didnt he get a bigger job instead of those teams? What kind of excuse is he was at smaller teams so we shouldnt expect him to win anything lol your talking rubbish!

You can remember the ajax semi final if you want but a one off game doesnt make him a great manager either, he eventually lost the final! Then got sacked 5 months later...

Why should he have?

I told you why he didn't get bigger jobs.

I never said Pochettino was a great manager. Again, what's that got to do with anything. You said no one will talk about Bielsa in 20 years. And I said that was bollocks.

Again, you seem to be equating success or team honours as a way of measuring a good coach. No. Its what separates great coaches from the elite. But Bielsa isn't elite and not a single person in this thread has said he is

He is however, a brilliant coach. As some of the best managers and footballers of all time will tell you. Though I guess you know more than them, so why are we discussing it?

Your argument is a bit disingenuous. Prior to him leaving South America, when managing sides with reasonable chances of "success" he won things. Two (and a half - weird system in Argentinian league) league championships with different teams, as well as a Copa Libertadores (South America's CL). He didn't win anything major with Argentina (Olympic gold) or Chile, but what he did with that Chile side was exceptional and they subsequently won a Copa I think, heavily influenced by the work he'd done. he changed their whole ethos and they started winning against teams they hadn't beaten away for literally decades, got them to a WC for the first time in three attempts and they were really unlucky to go out to Brazil, after largely being the better side.

Since then the clubs he's managed (ignoring Lazio and Lille who he barely had any time at) Bilbao, Marseille and Leeds have had no realistic expectation to win trophies, but he took Bilbao to two finals, got a pretty ordinary Marseille team to the top of the league for a chunk of the season (yes they faded to 4th but were up against much better teams that year) and won Leeds a Championship (getting them to the PL after years of failing to do so).

He has never taken the "cushty" CV job.

More (much more) importantly is how he believes the game should be played and coaches those football teams. His Chile side were great to watch, young, voracious, incredibly high tempo football. When I watched his Bilbao team obliterate Ferguson's Utd it absolutely blew my mind. That a humble team like that could not just skank a flukey win against a team like that, but comprehensively savage this uber club, expected to just roll them over. Those two games, especially that first leg, are ensconced in my brain forever. We'd seen Guardiola's Barca dismantle everyone, but they had all these wonderful footballers too, what Bielsa did with humble ingredients was astounding.

From some of the shit I've read about him, he probably has some kind of borderline personality disorder.
His methods are not flawless, they possibly don't suit uber clubs full of high net worth prima donnas, he can be manic and obsessive and demand things of players that are sometimes impossible to maintain, his teams often struggle to maintain his relentless methods for entire seasons, and his high risk football can be punished, but the fans of nearly all of those teams enjoy the ride and often forgive the failings because they can see a coach who actually coaches something tangible, it's often ferocious, aggressive and about taking the game to the opposition and ramming it up their arses, not bending over or trying to sneak wins, and attempts to extract the absolute maximum out of the players.

I think he's influenced (directly and/or indirectly) a lot of the type of energetic, aggressive football we are seeing in Germany the last few years (including the current Bayern coach) people like Klopp who has married some of the Bielsa type approach to a smarter, tactically more astute, periodised approach, Gasperini's Atalanta, not to mention the obvious Guardiola, Pochettino etc. Some of those may not even be directly influenced, but I'm sure there's maybe an indirect influence there, where his coaching ideas have permeated their way around football.

I think your iconoclastic tendencies are massively misguided here.
Great post

I love Bielsa. And I think football needs some maverick like him or like Lobanovskyi I the 80s. It makes it much more fun and exciting

Bielsa to me is a romantic. He is also obsessed to the verge of some mental disorder, and it's great to have somebody different in the game. My boss is a Leeds fan, and I really enjoy listening to so many stories about him since he joined the club.

I think Bielsa is more interested in implementing his ethos than in wining trophies, and probably he is not interested in managing anymore sides that are supposed to win major trophies. He has done it already in South America.

Would I want it at Spurs? No. I think it wouldn't be a good match because we (rightly) want also to win major trophies. Would I have loved him at Spurs in the past? Absolutely yes.

Our manager has a completely different approach. I was totally against him when there was the rumour about him joining us (because of his history and because of his obsession to look good, an obsession that sometimes makes me think that he is much more of an insecure person than he wants to project), and I have been siting on the fence for all last season.
Now I see that in several games we have made the most of his pragmatism and his winning mentality and I believe that we can achieve something big under him, also while seeing some pretty exciting football. We will see... the last two games have risen some justified question, but I think we are moving into the right direction. We will see...

Question regardless of whether this would lead to a trophy or not but redknapp get a more attacking team out of the players we have now and stick to that format? Rather than the stop / start tactics we seem to employ now?

So your whole point is big bad Mourinho made mistake, and shifted the blame?

Football is not just scoreline. Couldn't score but didn't concede is better if you're all about nit picking.

if you're about to discuss performance then the first half team struggled to even progress up the pitch, and being forced into hoofing. No support to provide passing options, leading to players dwelling on ball, which is the catalyst to the conceding goal. The change was to give the players in deeper positions some passing options, which CV needed to make way as Kane was destined to be bring on when Bale reached his 60 minutes for this game. Keep CV longer then, it's delaying other subs through domino effect.
I think Jose knows what he’s doing but a funny post from Steve73 Steve73 nonetheless!

So your whole point is big bad Mourinho made mistake, and shifted the blame?

Football is not just scoreline. Couldn't score but didn't concede is better if you're all about nit picking.

if you're about to discuss performance then the first half team struggled to even progress up the pitch, and being forced into hoofing. No support to provide passing options, leading to players dwelling on ball, which is the catalyst to the conceding goal. The change was to give the players in deeper positions some passing options, which CV needed to make way as Kane was destined to be bring on when Bale reached his 60 minutes for this game. Keep CV longer then, it's delaying other subs through domino effect.
Don't be a dick with the 'your whole point ' and ' big bad Jose ' crap, it's not hard to have a civilized discussion without resorting to that sort of shit.

My point is clear, he over reacted, blew it up, culminating in posting shit on instagram making it pretty clear where he thought the blame lay. He's got form for this, I don't like it, I don't think it's helpful, I don't think he does it because he thinks it helps and he's not ' a winner ' because of it.

You disagree, fine.

Don't be a dick with the 'your whole point ' and ' big bad Jose ' crap, it's not hard to have a civilized discussion without resorting to that sort of shit.

My point is clear, he over reacted, blew it up, culminating in posting shit on instagram making it pretty clear where he thought the blame lay. He's got form for this, I don't like it, I don't think it's helpful, I don't think he does it because he thinks it helps and he's not ' a winner ' because of it.

You disagree, fine.
But he didn’t ‘throw his side under the bus’
Way OTT imv but hey we disagree

But he didn’t ‘throw his side under the bus’
Way OTT imv but hey we disagree
A little maybe Baz but it's his willingness to apportion blame so readily and so publicly that I don't really like as I think it's counter intuitive to creating a circle of trust between him and the squad.

I don't want them pampered at all, just bollock them behind closed doors, drop them, do whatever it takes but keep it in house. It's better for everyone that way, the players know what's expected of them but also respect the fact that the manager has their back publicly. It creates trust and respect. They don't have to like him but a boss I respect I'll run through brick walls for.

A little maybe Baz but it's his willingness to apportion blame so readily and so publicly that I don't really like as I think it's counter intuitive to creating a circle of trust between him and the squad.

I don't want them pampered at all, just bollock them behind closed doors, drop them, do whatever it takes but keep it in house. It's better for everyone that way, the players know what's expected of them but also respect the fact that the manager has their back publicly. It creates trust and respect. They don't have to like him but a boss I respect I'll run through brick walls for.
Apparently throughout his career the vast majority of his players would do that
Samuel Eto
Zlatan

You got the odd cunt like Hazard but he isn’t pulling up trees now is he?

He’s done a really good job balancing the new signings and squad so far in regards to rotation and fitness. Particularly Bale, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Kane, Reguilon, and Hojbjerg.

But it’s time now to start playing the not fucking around crew in the league:

Lloris; Doherty/Aurier, Alderweireld, Dier, Reguillon; Lo Celso, Hojbjerg, Ndombele; Bale, Kane, Son

West Brom is the worst team in the division, let’s batter them next week with this side. Take that confidence into the international break and then push on.

If Bale, Lo Celso, and Ndombele can only play 60 minutes, start them and then take them off. No more half measures, time for our best 11.

He’s done a really good job balancing the new signings and squad so far in regards to rotation and fitness. Particularly Bale, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Kane, Reguilon, and Hojbjerg.

But it’s time now to start playing the not fucking around crew in the league:

Lloris; Doherty/Aurier, Alderweireld, Dier, Reguillon; Lo Celso, Hojbjerg, Ndombele; Bale, Kane, Son

West Brom is the worst team in the division, let’s batter them next week with this side. Take that confidence into the international break and then push on.

If Bale, Lo Celso, and Ndombele can only play 60 minutes, start them and then take them off. No more half measures, time for our best 11.
I think he'll save Bale for after international break. Bale will have to navigate Wales, too, I assume so if he can get through that unscathed, then he'll be more comfortable.

Not sure Jose will ever play GLC and Tanguy simultaneously, unless we're maybe playing 3CBs, but then you'll lose Bale or Son as there's no way he'd go without a DM of some sort.

Dunno.

I think Jose is right about the fitness of some of our players. I worry that Ndombele will never be as fit as he needs to be. Hope I'm wrong about that.

I think our players are still trying to understand what it is that Jose is asking them to do in some games, when it doesn't flow right the players on the pitch don't seem to know how to fix it themselves. I guess that will improve in time but I also worry that some of the players look scared to make a mistake so are playing it safe too often and that might cost us.

Players play better when they know their role and they are relaxed. Looking forward to us getting there at some point this season. If we can keep grinding out results until then then we will ahve a very good season.

I think he'll save Bale for after international break. Bale will have to navigate Wales, too, I assume so if he can get through that unscathed, then he'll be more comfortable.

I was just thinking that myself.... Give him another cameo against WBA and see how he fairs for Wales knowing they'll want to play him as much as is feasible.

The hope being that he's at least ready for a start against Man City even if he doesn't last the full 90.

You disagree, fine.
So it's all about you think. Your right. But let me disagree.

Try to analyze the two half. Just over react subbing to blame certain players?

"Has form for this". You included when he's right with his . Look at Man U, or Eden Hazard carried himself at Real Madrid.

Back
Top Bottom