Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This isn’t an overreaction to the status quo, but I’d take Hasenhuttl over Bielsa right now.

Every game I watch Southampton I’m impressed by their tactical setup and approach. The only limitation they have is their personnel.

There’s always a question mark over these mid-table managers about how well they’d transition to the pressure of a top 6 job, but I can really see his approach working perfectly.

Obviously we have no idea about his eye for talent right now, but to lose 9-0 to City, stay true to your principles as a manager and turn a lower mid-table team into one of 2020’s form sides is incredible.

Last edited:
This isn’t an overreaction to the status quo, but I’d take Hasenhuttl over Bielsa right now.

Every game I watch Southampton I’m impressed by their tactical setup and approach. The only limitation they have is their personnel.

There’s always a question mark over these mid-table managers about how well they’d transition to the pressure of a top 6 job, but I can really see his approach working perfectly.

Obviously we have no idea about his eye for talent right now, but to lose 9-0 to City, stay true to your principles as a manager and turn a lower mid-table team into one of 2020’s form sides is incredible.

Except the obvious suicidal tactics against our front line by playing an extremely high press against Kane & Son which got exposed 4 times? lol

Personally I thought that was one of the worst cases of tactical mismanagement I'd seen in the PL for a long time. Their CBs are slower than ours and he thought they could get away with that approach?!

Still, I do rate Hassenhuttl, but that was pretty unforgiveable.

Except the obvious suicidal tactics against our front line by playing an extremely high press against Kane & Son which got exposed 4 times? lol

Personally I thought that was one of the worst cases of tactical mismanagement I'd seen in the PL for a long time. Their CBs are slower than ours and he thought they could get away with that approach?!

Yeah, the second half was poor. But the first half tactics were similar with a better intensity, and they bossed the game, could have went in at half time a goal or two up were it not for Tanguy magic and a brilliant Son finish.

Last edited:

I still admired their approach. They weren’t out coached, we simply had better players.

I always find it incredible when limited sides show ambition. They’re called “naive”. They never get the same criticism when they park the bus.

Last edited:
Agree - rate Hassenhuttl. I live in Hampshire and have seen a bit of the Saints in person as well as on TV. Doing a very good job on limited resources. There's some naivety in his approach but if you are committed to playing open football that will happen every so often. Swings and roundabouts.

As for Bielsa, really like him, but perhaps a bit more in theory than in practice. But the practice ain't at all bad.

I still admired their approach. They weren’t out coached, we simply had better players.

Well, sure, but isn't part of coaching finding a way to mitigate that? If the tactics played right into our hands and didn't allow Saints to be competitive with us in that game, then that really is pretty naive coaching, no?

I think the reason why limited teams are not called naive when they park the bus is precisely because they are attempting to neutralize the other team's quality. Almost by definition, that's a savvy approach, and the opposite of being naive.

I would take Hassenhutl over Bielsa as well but really neither guy should ever come close to being in consideration for our manager.

I always find it incredible when limited sides show ambition. They’re called “naive”. They never get the same criticism when they park the bus.

Really?

I think the opposite happens. Look at all the credit a guy like Potter gets with zero results versus Dyche who gets better results with less resources or support.

Bielsa throws away leads because of dumb tactics and he is excused because he is a progressive genius.

Hassenhutl stupidly leaves his MF weak as fuck and has the top teams walk right through but gets excused because he showed ambition.

Any time a team parks the bus there is nothing but moaning about it.

.....Of course trophies are important here!!!
Woy hodgson just pumped him 4-1 with his crystal palace team , most overrated coach ever like jose said "there are a lot of poets in football , they don't win many" people who speak about all the tactic and philosophy but an absolute bottler in practice

We already have the best manager we can have in football, all the guy you guys mentioned ( bielsa , hasenhuttl etc ) aren't better than Jose Mourinho. Maybe people thought he lacks at implementing "attractive football" but the guy is an absolute tactician who almost always spot on at identifying enemy weakness or strength and deal with it the right way or also very good at controlling the tempo to favor our. In 90 minutes there has to be a time where you let your squad took a breath and slow the tempo down while searching for opportunities to strike. Everton lost against manure because they rightly play into their hand by keeping the tempo high Mourinho doesn't really cares about style , all he cares about is how to win the game

Last edited:
Well, sure, but isn't part of coaching finding a way to mitigate that? If the tactics played right into our hands and didn't allow Saints to be competitive with us in that game, then that really is pretty naive coaching, no?

I think the reason why limited teams are not called naive when they park the bus is precisely because they are attempting to neutralize the other team's quality. Almost by definition, that's a savvy approach, and the opposite of being naive.
It’s myopic. You can only mitigate by defending? Ridiculous. It really doesn’t make sense.

It’s silly picking on this game. It’s like saying Klopp got tactically outmanoeuvred when Watford beat them last season. He didn’t. These games happen, the tactical approach to games by Hasenhuttl and Saints has been spot on since he got there.

Hence their exceptional results in spite of pretty average players.

Really?

I think the opposite happens. Look at all the credit a guy like Potter gets with zero results versus Dyche who gets better results with less resources or support.

Bielsa throws away leads because of dumb tactics and he is excused because he is a progressive genius.

Hassenhutl stupidly leaves his MF weak as fuck and has the top teams walk right through but gets excused because he showed ambition.

Any time a team parks the bus there is nothing but moaning about it.
His team were top of the league yesterday, with barely a player that would get in a top 6 side.

His work is borderline beyond reproach....

Genuinely what more could he have done with these set of players?

If anyone is watching Southampton and isn’t impressed by how they’re setup you don’t know football.

His team were top of the league yesterday, with barely a player that would get in a top 6 side.

If anyone is watching Southampton and isn’t impressed by how they’re setup you don’t know football.

8 games into the season and solely due to more games played. We’ll see how it ends up for them. Last season they were an amazing 11th.

In their two games against Big 6 opponents they looked awful.

He’s doing a fine job for Southampton but has t shown anything great at all and hasn’t shown any indication that he should be anywhere near a team like ours.

Mourinho watched their team for 45 minutes , identified their weakness straight away and slot in 4 similar goals which hasenhutl failed to adapt , and apart of penalty which came from ridiculous handball they didn't even create much against us at that second half. We already have the best guy for the job, let's enjoy it while we can

Woy hodgson just pumped him 4-1 with his crystal palace team , most overrated coach ever like jose said "there are a lot of poets in football , they don't win many" people who speak about all the tactic and philosophy but an absolute bottler in practice

What you waffling about???

....You said trophies aren't important for us.

Its been bloody 8 games 😆, everyone were licking leeds ass after 4 games look at them now...

I judge a manager on a season not after less than 10 games, if he gets them playing great football all season and finishes top 10 then yeh ill kiss his ass ..

All the bielsa lovers are a bit quiet atm... i wonder why..

Its been bloody 8 games 😆, everyone were licking leeds ass after 4 games look at them now...

I judge a manager on a season not after less than 10 games, if he gets them playing great football all season and finishes top 10 then yeh ill kiss his ass ..

All the bielsa lovers are a bit quiet atm... i wonder why..
He is like players who do well in training and then drop absolute stinker when playing actual match
Too much theory , 0 practice , has been like that for 20 or something years , his football theory has never been proven effective in actual football

Last edited:
It’s myopic. You can only mitigate by defending? Ridiculous. It really doesn’t make sense.
Thankfully I didn't say that defending is the only way to mitigate talent difference, but certainly it's one of the most effective. So is pressing. It's not rocket science.

It’s silly picking on this game. It’s like saying Klopp got tactically outmanoeuvred when Watford beat them last season. He didn’t.
So they just got lucky? I'm sure they'd be glad to hear you explain that to them.

These games happen, the tactical approach to games by Hasenhuttl and Saints has been spot on since he got there.
Well, perhaps except for that time when we ripped them apart. Might have been a little naive to not take into account the counter-attacking firepower we have.

Hence their exceptional results in spite of pretty average players.
And maybe the fact that they've only faced two teams yet from the Big 6, taking only one point from those games. Could be a factor.
:gallashmm:

8 games into the season and solely due to more games played. We’ll see how it ends up for them. Last season they were an amazing 11th.

In their two games against Big 6 opponents they looked awful.

He’s doing a fine job for Southampton but has t shown anything great at all and hasn’t shown any indication that he should be anywhere near a team like ours.
Conversely could say one of the form teams of 2020 in spite of having a crop of very middling mid-table players.

Mourinho watched their team for 45 minutes , identified their weakness straight away and slot in 4 similar goals which hasenhutl failed to adapt , and apart of penalty which came from ridiculous handball they didn't even create much against us at that second half. We already have the best guy for the job, let's enjoy it while we can
This is nothing to do with Jose, there was no call for Hasenhuttl to replace Jose in my messages.

Although if we used the binary and rudimentary way you analyse games, could easily say “Moyes realised Jose would sit deep, stuck Coucek up top and tactically outmanoeuvred him to pull the comeback off”.

See how easy it is to talk bollox?!

Back
Top Bottom