Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You're basing your opinion of how we pass and move the ball on games where we are set up ultra defensively - we didn't move the ball well v Wolves because we camped on the edge of our own box and didn't allow numbers forward to support any rare counter attacking opportunities if you only send teo or 3 players forward, what hope do they have of keeping the ball/creating chances? I'd suggest looking at the Palace game, this is a good example as our opener came later in the half which meant we pressed forward for longer and their equaliser came early enough for us to push again for goals. We created plenty at 0-0 and again at 1-1 with their keeper having a blinder but inbetween there was nothing as we sat back and couldn't counter as teams have realised that marking Kane when he drops deep totally nullifies our threat.

No I'm not. I listed about 20 Poch games a couple of pages ago. Games where we dominated possession and did fuck all with it.
Our players don't know what to do when they have a full opposition defence in front of it. We can catch them on the break when we can outnumber them, but we can't play through or around them.

No I'm not. I listed about 20 Poch games a couple of pages ago. Games where we dominated possession and did fuck all with it.
Our players don't know what to do when they have a full opposition defence in front of it. We can catch them on the break when we can outnumber them, but we can't play through or around them.

We've moved on from Pochs team, you can't reference his team when he didn't have the benefit of an intergrated Lo Celso, Ndombele and Hojberg to choose from.

I do not accept at all that a team with those 3 to choose from in the middle of the pitch cannot play football. Like i said we are just not set up the majority of time to benefit possession football and when we are we look fine

I guess old habits die hard, but it’s not about possession or bombing up the pitch for me, it’s about learning to trap a fucking ball and play a simple pass again.

Yep. Noticing this quite a bit lately. Can’t seem to do the basics. Makes it even harder to stomach when they finally do launch a legitimate attack and then fuck it up with fundamental errors.

Some perspective.

All based around points/results/table position rather than the football being played and the issues our game has - as usual is the case with those weird Mourinho fanbois

All based around points/results/table position rather than the football being played and the issues our game has - as usual is the case with those weird Mourinho fanbois
As mentioned in the other thread our main issue is not scoring goals.
Everyone keeps blaming the defence but had Reggie scored a simple tap in or squared it we go 2-0 up and game over.
It’s about the fifth time this season he’s done it but he’s everyone’s hero.

I like the guy, but that attack cost us as much as Davies not winning the header did.

You can concede 5 and win a match, but you will never win a match if you don’t score.
Reggie also missed a simple header, and Kane has missed copious chances the last few games.

We are on the back foot not by choice but because our attackers have gone to shit and can’t keep the ball in attack

We've moved on from Pochs team, you can't reference his team when he didn't have the benefit of an intergrated Lo Celso, Ndombele and Hojberg to choose from.

I do not accept at all that a team with those 3 to choose from in the middle of the pitch cannot play football. Like i said we are just not set up the majority of time to benefit possession football and when we are we look fine

We haven't moved on. We have added a few players, sure, but we still have shit like Dier, Aurrier, Davies, Winks, Sissoko, Moura, Lamela etc stinking up the place.

You seem to think our players are capable of a style of football that they're clearly not.
The only 2 genuine footballers in our starting 11 against Wolves were Ndombele and Kane. Son is goo d at taking chances in front of goal. But give him the ball far enough away from it and 9/10 times he's gonna give it away.
Kane can't pass to himself and Ndombele can't seem to last a whole match.
Almost everyone else on the pitch is poor at passing, poor-average at dribbling and completely inept at movement and tactics.
If you doubt this, go back and watch these games

18/19 season
Burnley 2-1 Tottenham 23/02/2019
Chelsea 2-0 Tottenham 27/03.2019
Tottenham 1-1 Woolwich 02/03/2019
Southampton 2-1 Tottenham 09/03/2019
Liverpool 2-1 Tottenham 31/03.2019
2 wins
City 1-0 Tottenham 20/04/2019
1 win
Tottenham 0-1 West Ham 27/04/2019
Bournemouth 1-0 Tottenham 04/05/2019

19/20 season
Tottenham 0-1 Newcastle 25/08/2019
Leicester 2-1 Tottenham 21/09/2019
Brighton 3-0 Tottenham 05/10/2019
Tottenham 1-1 Watford 19/10/2019
Liverpool 2-1 Tottenham 27/10/2019
Everton 1-1 Tottenham 03/11/2019
Tottenham 1-1 Sheffield United 09/11/2019

As you may have guessed, those are all Pochettino games. Every last one of them was pitiful. Painful to watch. Turgid. Whether we had 20% or 80% we were utterly shit.
The vast majority of players then are the same as now.

There is literally no point at all aiming abuse at Mourinho. The squad is shit.
The level of delusion here is off the charts.

To think we sat back and were outplayed for spells by Palace because we have inferior players really takes the biscuit for dog shit I’ve heard on this site over the last few days. It’s borderline embarrassing.

We aren’t Liverpool or City, there isn’t a fan here that thinks that’s the case, but we are MUCH better than this manager is showing us to be.

Indeed the one person who seems to think our players are capable of a system they aren’t is Jose. We do not have the personnel to “shut up shop” for 89 mins once we take a lead. Anyone that has taken a passing interest in this team over the last 3 years knows that, except Jose apparently.

I’ve posted this a few times now, but the objective assessment of Jose so far is that he has made us stronger defensively, managed the big games well, but failed outside of that.

He has yet to develop an attacking identity for this team other than swift counter, and his overly pragmatic tendencies have cost us points in games outside of the top 6. Forget possession, his tendency to cede territory is excruciating for me.

What is very apparent reading these last few pages is that the so called “Jose supporters” do the following:-

1) Never once offer up any tactical insight into what they see from Jose that impresses them.

2) Call everyone out as being bad fans for criticising the manager, whilst simultaneously abusing the squad and making out it’s a borderline championship team that no one can do better with.

It’s beyond a joke mate. The assertion seems to be that Jose will do well only with a perfect squad. What the fuck are we paying him £15m for?! If you’re backing Jose for a “long term project” you must have been sleeping during the Jose history lesson because that isn’t what he does.

I’m not a huge fan, but have praised him for games (Utd, City, Newcastle) and will continue to criticise him for his abject tactical performances like the one we saw against Wolves.

I have a real feeling he’ll deliver us a league cup this year, and I’ll be delighted for that. It still doesn’t stop the genuine concerns I and other posters have about what we are seeing tactically game to game that cause great concern.

I want him to succeed and I hope he analyses what he is doing wrong and rectifies it. But make no mistake, he is getting plenty wrong right now and there’s no shame in admitting it.

We haven't moved on. We have added a few players, sure, but we still have shit like Dier, Aurrier, Davies, Winks, Sissoko, Moura, Lamela etc stinking up the place.
Davies, Winks, Moura, Lamela = squad players not regular starters.

Jose loves Dier and gave him a new contract? He's his man on the pitch.

Jose signed Doherty and chooses to play Aurier ahead of him.

Poor argument mate, sorry

The level of delusion here is off the charts.

To think we sat back and were outplayed for spells by Palace because we have inferior players really takes the biscuit for dog shit I’ve heard on this site over the last few days. It’s borderline embarrassing.

We aren’t Liverpool or City, there isn’t a fan here that thinks that’s the case, but we are MUCH better than this manager is showing us to be.

Indeed the one person who seems to think our players are capable of a system they aren’t is Jose. We do not have the personnel to “shut up shop” for 89 mins once we take a lead. Anyone that has taken a passing interest in this team over the last 3 years knows that, except Jose apparently.

I’ve posted this a few times now, but the objective assessment of Jose so far is that he has made us stronger defensively, managed the big games well, but failed outside of that.

He has yet to develop an attacking identity for this team other than swift counter, and his overly pragmatic tendencies have cost us points in games outside of the top 6. Forget possession, his tendency to cede territory is excruciating for me.

What is very apparent reading these last few pages is that the so called “Jose supporters” do the following:-

1) Never once offer up any tactical insight into what they see from Jose that impresses them.

2) Call everyone out as being bad fans for criticising the manager, whilst simultaneously abusing the squad and making out it’s a borderline championship team that no one can do better with.

It’s beyond a joke mate. The assertion seems to be that Jose will do well only with a perfect squad. What the fuck are we paying him £15m for?! If you’re backing Jose for a “long term project” you must have been sleeping during the Jose history lesson because that isn’t what he does.

I’m not a huge fan, but have praised him for games (Utd, City, Newcastle) and will continue to criticise him for his abject tactical performances like the one we saw against Wolves.

I have a real feeling he’ll deliver us a league cup this year, and I’ll be delighted for that. It still doesn’t stop the genuine concerns I and other posters have about what we are seeing tactically game to game that cause great concern.

I want him to succeed and I hope he analyses what he is doing wrong and rectifies it. But make no mistake, he is getting plenty wrong right now and there’s no shame in admitting it.

Palace stats, FYI
More posession
More shots on target
More passes
More corners
Less fouls
Less offsides
We had the better of every stat bare overall shots.

The only reason we didn't win that game, comfortably., was because their keeper, having let a blundergoal in, played an absolutely WORLDIE. He'll never do that again.

So you ranted for ages about a game we were by far better in than them.

Jose needs to stop relying on winning by defence if we can’t defend under intense pressure at the moment.

I don’t think the hysterics about our style of play is totally warranted, and I’ve seen people losing it after 6 minutes of a game.

The other day we scored after 1 minute......by the 4th minute there were posts about we “have stopped playing already”. Sorry, what?
The game hasn’t even started.

Im not feeling his subs recently, but one thing I do notice is how annoyed he gets on the sideline with some of the decisions of our players and is usually pointing them forward.

I guess old habits die hard, but it’s not about possession or bombing up the pitch for me, it’s about learning to trap a fucking ball and play a simple pass again.
That’s fair. Their is some hysteria but he has got stuff wrong.

For me, possession I can take or leave, but Jose’s insistence on moving the defensive line back and giving up territory makes me pull my hair out.

I’d love us to play just slightly higher up the pitch with a touch more press. We don’t win the ball in enough dangerous positions to spring attacks for me (see Hojbjerg against Utd). I want him winning it more there and not on the edge of our own box.

Palace stats, FYI
More posession
More shots on target
More passes
More corners
Less fouls
Less offsides

The only reason we didn't win that game, comfortably., was because their keeper, having let a blundergoal in, played an absolutely WORLDIE. He'll never do that again.

So are we capable of playing on the front foot or not because this suggests we can? As stated a rare GK worldie of a performance stopped us from scoring 3 or 4 goals here in a game in which we dominated, but you want us to believe we can't play this way...

The period in which the game was at 1-0 i would guarantee the stats above would all be reversed btw

Davies, Winks, Moura, Lamela = squad players not regular starters.

Jose loves Dier and gave him a new contract? He's his man on the pitch.

Jose signed Doherty and chooses to play Aurier ahead of him.

Poor argument mate, sorry

I have no idea why he gave Winks or Dier a contract but neither are good enough. I presumed at the time it was Levy making sure neither went on a free.
I presume Jose needed to see Dier up close, week after week to realise he was a complete dunce, I presumed he needed to see Winks actually causes more problems than he solves with his insular passing game, lack of tackling, lack of scoring, lack of key passes and often visibly hiding from the ball.
Lamela would be a great squad player if we could call on him, but mostly we can't.
Moura is no use to us in the PL. He is ok in the ropey league group stage but that's about it.
Davies is average. He can play in the lower level games, may be, but he's just so middle of the road it's boring seeing him. He's the polar opposite of Rose, who was all action. Davies is no action.

The big thing for me, is Jose needs to figure these things out and if he doesn't, he's not all he's cracked up to be. He may have said to Levy he would first try to improve on what he had, but if that fails, or if an opportunity comes up, then the market has to be used.

1vJKea0.png

Our Champions League run tempered our crap football from January 2019 onwards.

Dembele was sold in January, but played his last match for us in November. We had an incredible holiday fixtures period which enabled us to backdoor our way to 4th because Woolwich are Woolwich.

I have no idea why he gave Winks or Dier a contract but neither are good enough. I presumed at the time it was Levy making sure neither went on a free.
I presume Jose needed to see Dier up close, week after week to realise he was a complete dunce, I presumed he needed to see Winks actually causes more problems than he solves with his insular passing game, lack of tackling, lack of scoring, lack of key passes and often visibly hiding from the ball.
Lamela would be a great squad player if we could call on him, but mostly we can't.
Moura is no use to us in the PL. He is ok in the ropey league group stage but that's about it.
Davies is average. He can play in the lower level games, may be, but he's just so middle of the road it's boring seeing him. He's the polar opposite of Rose, who was all action. Davies is no action.

The big thing for me, is Jose needs to figure these things out and if he doesn't, he's not all he's cracked up to be. He may have said to Levy he would first try to improve on what he had, but if that fails, or if an opportunity comes up, then the market has to be used.

I want to see more from the manager between now and the end of the season because if more money is going to result in a more efficient version of this all out defense caper then i'm not sure it's worth investing in.

Palace stats, FYI
More posession
More shots on target
More passes
More corners
Less fouls
Less offsides

You’ve proven my point perfectly, thank you.

A game where, as evidenced by your post, we were in compete control until we tactically decided to drop to the edge of our box and defend the lead, allowing Palace both the ball and territory.

It’s proof surely that we do have the players to win that game, and that the tactics cost us?!

So are we capable of playing on the front foot or not because this suggests we can? As stated a rare GK worldie of a performance stopped us from scoring 3 or 4 goals here in a game in which we dominated, but you want us to believe we can't play this way...

The period in which the game was at 1-0 i would guarantee the stats above would all be reversed btw
Precisely, the stats show we have the ability to dominate this mediocre Palace team, but we decided with 35 mins to go to sit on our box, concede possession and territory try to “see out the win”.

It illustrates perfectly that we have the quality, but the tactical decision was wrong.

You’ve proven my point perfectly, thank you.

A game where, as evidenced by your post, we were in compete control until we tactically decided to drop to the edge of our box and defend the league, allowing Palace both the ball and territory.

It’s proof surely that we do have the players to win that game, and that the tactics cost us?!
It is entitely possible it wasn't a tactical decision and was down to the fact Palace were huffing and puffing as the game wore on because, contrary to popular belief, they're also a professional football team, who play in the same league as us and, just like us, need to play for points.

If you wish to watch a team that only needs to turn up to win, watch Juve, Real, PSG etc (yes, I'm aware this season isn't panning out that way)

The premier league is competetive. Did the Liverpool fans have a total fucking meltdown when Fulham and WBA showed up and dared to have a go?

Back
Top Bottom