Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm an adult, I don't hate JM at all.
The style of play the team adopts under his management is the problem that I'm at odds with.
It might be mental gymnastics for you, but for a large amount of posters on here it's a simple case of being tired of watching this defensive, hit them on the break system, that is so ingrained that we tried it after going one up in the first minute against Wolves.
When we finally conceded to palace we went back to attack mode, and got a dose of our own medicine, but proved that we didn't need to sit back against a pedestrian side like them - who promptly shipped 7 goals to Liverpool, to prove the point.

In fairness to JM the current squad quality isnt great. Our MF isnt as creative as it needs to be, as GLC lacks the presence to dominate games and we seem unable to retain possession against top sides.
Add in Auriers suicidal tendencies (we should play Sissoko at RB because he contributes nothing going forward) if we can identify a replacement for Toby before his legs go completely (JT looks promising) maybe with a strong right sided AM we could stop the slide. At the moment we seem to be unravelling and it will be a test of JMs experience to hold it together.
Took the words out of my mouth regarding JM. I couldn’t give a flying toss about JM as a person, good or bad. I don’t “hate” him at all, but at the end of the day it’s him that has to take the flak for us playing in the way that we are. No agenda against the man whatsoever and I don’t really understand that narrative from some posters on here.

Im not sure I agree about us not having a good squad. At the start of the season most were saying we had good depth and cover for all positions more or less. We’re a couple short in terms of top quality first team players but I think it’s more a case of players not performing as they can. Now some of that also has to lie with the manager and the way he’s motivating/setting them up to play.

At the moment nobody could argue he is getting the best of out these players

I really don't care about José or another one but if we can win and use his relations to attract the best young players , it's ok.

Took the words out of my mouth regarding JM. I couldn’t give a flying toss about JM as a person, good or bad. I don’t “hate” him at all, but at the end of the day it’s him that has to take the flak for us playing in the way that we are. No agenda against the man whatsoever and I don’t really understand that narrative from some posters on here.

Im not sure I agree about us not having a good squad. At the start of the season most were saying we had good depth and cover for all positions more or less. We’re a couple short in terms of top quality first team players but I think it’s more a case of players not performing as they can. Now some of that also has to lie with the manager and the way he’s motivating/setting them up to play.

At the moment nobody could argue he is getting the best of out these players
Hes not getting the best out of Alli, he is way better than what we are seeing. Bale?
I dont think this is a poor squad, it just has weak areas. Why does he play GLC on the right of MF?
RB position is a worry and central defence is ok but slow

edit

Mindless disagrees - I must be right, phew.

Last edited:
But it's not a comparison.

We signed Poch following seasons of trying and trying to be a top 4 regular.

He hadn't won anything before. And he was signed because he had a project and we saw potential in him and what he could achieve.

In fact, we all know for the most part he had us over achieving.

Mourinho on the other hand is a winner. We signed him to get us top 4, which he failed in his first season. And I suspect the idea of getting Jose in was to win us a trophy.

Again, if he goes 17 months without one. With our squad. Questions would have to be asked.
As long as he gets top 4 and doesn't lose the dressing room i think he is still safe here, we arent Chelsea or Madrid who sacks everyone and their mother whenever they want

Yes. And no.
Aurrier, Alderwiereld and Dire were already at the club.
I suspect Doherty was an oportunistic signing, as was Reguilon. Tbh, the latter has been a decent signing IMO. The former a bit disappointing but may just need to be bedded in. Also used to a different set up to what we're playing. Believe Wolves played 3 CB's with wingbacks, of which Dogerty was one.
This is only a guess, but I suspect Mourinho told Levy he would work with what he had as best he could and if that doesn't work, then he'd need to recruit.

I suspect Levy was conscious of losing assets on a free. Our policy is always going to be to sign them up or sell them on, and not allow them to go on a free, to a rival. Dier, Alderwiereld and Winks are all worth a few quid even if they're not the best. (Bit unfair as a slightly younger Toby was, IMO, the best CB in the league)

Like i said previously he's handed out 2 contracts and signed 3 further players for the defense - you can't really start to argue whether he wanted them or not facts are it's on his watch and managers, rightly or wrongly, live or die by those.

He was over the top in praise for the clubs work in the transfer market too don't forget. They got his seal of approval.

Yep, a CB and a new RB would be ideal. GLC has to be in the middle for me.
Bale has to have more in the locker as well. At the moment Alli is exactly the kind of player we’re crying out for so should be given a shot in my opinion

Yep, a CB and a new RB would be ideal. GLC has to be in the middle for me.
Bale has to have more in the locker as well. At the moment Alli is exactly the kind of player we’re crying out for so should be given a shot in my opinion
Aurier has been one of our best players this season, i don't think there's even a remote possibility that we will be buying another RB in the summer

I’m loving that for 5.5 years we “didn’t have the quality” and the tactics were perfect and Levy was Satan, but now Levy is Jesus, the squad is impenetrable but the tactics are all wrong.

So I won’t see any more posts in the January Transfer thread then?

:mourthumb:

Aurier has been one of our best players this season, i don't think there's even a remote possibility that we will be buying another RB in the summer

The problem with Aurier is that he absolutely always has errors in him. Bad ones. Really, really costly ones.
I don't think it should have been a free kick agains West Ham, but his poor first touch put him in trouble, he then had to fight for the ball and ended up in the tustle.
He gave away the free kick against Palace
He gave away the penalty against Leicester, under no pressure with no need to do it at all.
Sure there's more and probably incidents similar that didn't lead to goals so get forgotten about.

Having just signed Doherty you're probably right.

Aurier did have a decent run of games, but for me never gonna be reliable enough over the course of a season.

Considering our current 4 games without a win and the whole Jose vs Dele thing it is nice to see some stories that showcases the fact that he does get along with the squad overall and that he does care about them.

Title race ... come on
I know , but if we did get 12 points from our next 4 games and Liverpool drop 3 then us beating them at the lane would put us on the same points , surely if that happened then we would be right back in the mix? Sadly I can’t see us picking up 12 from our next 4 even though the fixtures on paper look favourable

Having just signed Doherty you're probably right.

Aurier did have a decent run of games, but for me never gonna be reliable enough over the course of a season.
Doherty has also made a ton of mistakes and been dogshite in general. On the other side Reggie has had a run of bad games in a row as well. Dier and Toby always give out 1 glorious goalscoring chance tothe opposition every single game. None of our defenders are reliable enough over the course of the season.

Back
Top Bottom