Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

To be fair, he is a problem at times.

I think our defence has looked really strong. Take away a stupid free kick against Newcastle and a Lanzini worldie and we look even better, just because of two goals. Our front two look great too, just want Kane to be less of a central midfielder.

Pretty sure Jose is also happy with the defence now and is presently trying to work on the midfield. Not easy when we can’t really spend time training properly.
“at times” as is any player whether a striker misses a chance a defender gets out muscled at a set piece a midfielder other than Winks loses a tackle in a crucial part of the pitch which leads to a goal anyone can be at fault not always Winks and he’s not regularly at fault......scapegoat perhaps.

I'll go even further if Brendan Rodgers had our squad we would be launching a convincing title charge. As did Poch twice untill he ran out of steam hobbled by lack of investment. Anything less than top 4 will be a failure.
And if you were handsome you would have that Beyoncé won’t you? Bollocks.

I’ll wait until the same Rogers and Poch win this league with the teams given to them. None of this, if only he has this team or that team.

Really don't believe Jose at all when he says he tells the team to attack when 1 up.

My United m8s said the exact same shit used to happen with them, score, sit back and invite pressure, concede and then desperately try to go for it (& fail).

If we give Jose the benefit of the doubt then it's even worse as that means the players are ignoring him and he commands no respect. Where I'm from that's called losing the dressing room lol.

I will give Jose one thing though- £15m a year to bus park and rely on brilliance from a few players. He Levy'd Levy lmao.

Do wonder what a good manager could do with this squad. There's this fella at PSG who hit the ground running and won a trophy immediately during a pandemic (whereas Jose got us knocked out of every fucking cup last year like a failure). Now that's a winner. And it happened less than a week ago in this modern football age so is more relevant than say a dinosaurs achievement 15 years ago.
The fella at PSG got us knocked out at Colchester last season but had you forgot that?
And the one here has got us too the first cup final of the year did you also forget that?

The fella at PSG got us knocked out at Colchester last season but had you forgot that?
And the one here has got us too the first cup final of the year did you also forget that?
Poch got us to the CL final after 1.5 yrs no spending.

Jose got us to the league cup final after bringing in like 9 players lol.

Now imagine Poch here but with Jose's backing

That fella at PSG also managed to get a League Cup final in his first season here...

The only full time manager who hasn't got us to a cup final in their first seasons in the last decade is AVB.

He hasn't achieved anything yet.

Let's hope our bye in the 3rd round, penalty win against Chelsea and beating two Championship sides was worth it and we can show up in a final!

With Serial Winner in charge, I'm almost expecting it. That's why we're paying him 15m a year.

Poch got us to the CL final after 1.5 yrs no spending.

Jose got us to the league cup final after bringing in like 9 players lol.

Now imagine Poch here but with Jose's backing
And then went and spent £120 million and we went into massive decline.
What £50+ million players has Jose been backed with.
Doherty-£15 million.
PEH-£15 million.
Regy-£25 million.
Hart-free.
Bale-loan
Rodon-£15 million.
Vini-loan
Bergwjin=£25 million.
£95 million hardly massive backing wouldn't you say?
I think he is doing a decent job

That fella at PSG also managed to get a League Cup final in his first season here...

The only full time manager who hasn't got us to a cup final in their first seasons in the last decade is AVB.

He hasn't achieved anything yet.

Let's hope our bye in the 3rd round, penalty win against Chelsea and beating two Championship sides was worth it and we can show up in a final!

With Serial Winner in charge, I'm almost expecting it. That's why we're paying him 15m a year.
We never turned up in any big game under Poch and in big games I mean finals.
Semi finals are not big games.
Jose beat us twice at wembley 2015 against Chelsea and 2018 against Man Utd.

Jose hasn't won a big game in 4 years.

Let's hope that changes in April!
Yes 4 years in May the Europa league.
The same year the mighty Gent knocked us out of the exact competition that Jose won for Man utd.
The Man utd team that finished 17 points behind us in the table.
He had a far poorer team than us at the time but still won 2 trophies that season.
Lets hope he brings the same winning mentality to us.

Last edited:
Just an observation after listening to the radio. When eas the last time we actually came out really fired up. I can’t recall hardly any games under Jose we were pumped and come out aggressive fast and with intent?
also does he actually look bothered about our results and performances? He seems to happy in the press conferences.? He touchlinr in game management hardly inspires any confidence and belief into the team.
one more is going out to play to win and playing progressive attacking football mutually exclusive. We are probably one of a handful of teams who play this low block park the bus bollocks. No need to name the other teams. And we pay this guy £15M/yr!

Mourinho is never going to change his idea of football, he believes that the team that makes the fewest mistakes is the most likely to win the game. He believes that when you have the ball there is a greater chance of a mistake. Therefore let the opponent have the ball and punish their mistakes instead.

I don't have a problem with that as long as the team shows attacking intent when we manage to get on the ball, but we only seem to do that in the first half of matches. Only at Anfield did we look lively in the second half and that's because we weren't in front. We always need to be positive when we are on the ball. That should be the case even in Mourinho football.

His a dick, conned levy, no real idea of how to coach the team with any style of play. We have become from peoples 2nd team ie playing attacking football with youngsters to one of the most vilified. His just laughing all the way to his eventual pay off. He doesn’t care about spurs it’s about him. Once the top players leave see what happens then? I’m sure we could have played a better style of football and probably better off points wise or at least the same. I just don’t see any inspiration or fight in this team. If you gonna protect a 1-0 at least show some fight to do so. We rarely lay a finger on anyone. Also are we saying we don’t have the players to go head to head with Chelsea goons Leicester Everton even utd and pool that we have play as if we are in the bottom 3 scrapping for a result. We have just as good players as these teams. Unfortunately our coach has decided not to actually coach and create a passing style of play. Instead just just been lazy and decided to park the bus. The most easiest ways to coach as it’s much harder to actually work on transitions and playing through the thirds. I defo reckon any half decent footballing coach would have us playing much better football and still be able to defend. Just requires extra effort from the players and the manager actually working on this.

I think it is a problem, when that’s the most important basis of Jose’a tactical master plan.
His whole mantra is defence. So to concede the way that we are is a massive problem..
But we hardly concede any goals. Less than everyone except City.

The midfield isn’t working right now, which is why we are having to defend so much and have fewer chances up front.

The midfield isn’t working right now, which is why we are having to defend so much and have fewer chances up front.
I’ve spent about 10 minutes trying to copy&paste the league table with goals scored for and against and gave up. I’m clueless with tech.

I still feel that we’re sacrificing a lot for not a lot of return.
We’ve scored 30 and conceded 16.
6 GF were in a freak game against United.

to put it into perspective
City have conceded 13 goals
Southampton have conceded 19
Leicester, Everton, Liverpool all 21
Villa honourable mention with 16 goals conceded but I appreciate they have more games to play.

there is not much difference in them figures and all them sides in my opinion play much more attractive football and are all our rivals so are comparable.

What bothers me the most is Mourinho knows more about football than 99.9% of the world but cannot and will not change his mantra, even when its not working. I dont know why he thinks that giving the opposition the ball wilfully for 60%+ of a game is a sensible idea as it invites pressure and therefore inevitably, chances. Even with the best back 4 and keeper in the world it will still happen, deflections, set pieces, mistakes etc. It all seems based on 2 principles :

1) out of the 4/5 chances you make a game, your forwards will score at least half on average
and
2) your defence is infallible and will never concede

The second is the real problem, as no-one is infallible. Hes banking on 1) coming up trumps every time which it pretty much has in the BIG games. Fulham was an example (again for us) of a goalie putting in a shift and making two or three great saves. We've seen this story before. 2) is always the let down, and that not because we are defending badly, its because its pure attrition that results in goals. And by then its too late to get 1) up and working again along with the mental "fuck weve conceded again" that then courses through your side and gives the oppo a lift.

Remove the "1-0 is good enough" mentality and Jose can win stuff here as well as keep the fans and the team happy. The WHU game was an aberration which I fear has seriously clouded his thinking when in fact it was just a massive slice of bad luck (OG, worldie). I get it against the sides better than us, or away from home for the last 15 of a game defending a thin lead, but not for 60% of the game against any opposition.

Last edited:
I’ve spent about 10 minutes trying to copy&paste the league table with goals scored for and against and gave up. I’m clueless with tech.

I still feel that we’re sacrificing a lot for not a lot of return.
We’ve scored 30 and conceded 16.
6 GF were in a freak game against United.

to put it into perspective
City have conceded 13 goals
Southampton have conceded 19
Leicester, Everton, Liverpool all 21
Villa honourable mention with 16 goals conceded but I appreciate they have more games to play.

there is not much difference in them figures and all them sides in my opinion play much more attractive football and are all our rivals so are comparable.
Those other teams are more open than we are, so they are going to concede more. And that’s proven. With the exception of City who have scored a few less than us and have been playing without a striker recently. So they are hardly playing free flowing attacking football either.

And we are fifth in goals scored too. Fair, we had a freak result at United (or we just played really well), but also consider that United scored 6 in a match, Liverpool had a 7, Leeds 5 twice, Palace got a 5, as did City, Villa got 7, Everton 5, several teams including West Ham and Leicester have at least one match where they got 4. Do we not count any of these results either?

You don’t have to copy and paste anything, we are second in goals conceded, fifth in goals scored and second in goal difference.

XG has us conceding 31% more goals than we actually have, Man City, Villa, Chelsea and Liverpool all with expected goals conceded less than ours.

In other words continue as we are, as with everything over a longer period you would expect to regress to the mean, meaning we will concede a lot more than we have been based on the opportunities opponents are getting. XG would have us in 7th at the moment with 2 less points than we have.

Basically we have been fortunate not to concede more, is what the data is saying,

Back
Top Bottom