Kieran Trippier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He. Is. Shit! NOTHING I have seen from him since he joined us suggests otherwise.

IMO he is championship level FB, if you don't want to accept that then I am just fine with that. But it will not for a second change my opinion on him. Maybe he's going to play as a back-up at Napoli or Atletico, just a thought. Maybe they are just going to play him as an AM???? I don't care.

Those far superior RB's have been injured (Aurier) and I would guess not deemed experienced enough (KWP), can you think of a game where KWP has been worse than Tripps.........I'll wait.

Let's just assess the players abilities rather than build strawmen around us making up a 30point deficit if player 'X', 'Y' or 'Z' is or is not playing, that proves the square root of fuck all. Let's just focus on his ability to defend, build up from the back, take on a player, cross the ball, pass, tackle and not pass the ball into the fucking net, get beaten in the air on his back post, have oppo players run off him, be unable to play the role of a modern FB bombing up (and back) the pitch, Link midfield, find an Spurs player with a pass.

He's shit and it pleases me that he's the first player that looks likely to be on his way, that to my mind makes sense, you know get rid of the shit if you want to build a better squad than the one you already have.

Earlier today I rewatched the extended highlights of when we beat Real at Wembley. Tripps put in some very good crosses, one of which Alli put in to score our first. Its easy to forget the decent performances and remember the mistakes.
We all accept he isn’t the greatest RB and his recent form has dipped, but he’s not as bad as you are making out. With luck his form will improve for the final.
As a side note Walker had awesome athleticism and was able to get back to defend and attack like no other, but don’t you recall that his delivery was nearly always terrible.

Earlier today I rewatched the extended highlights of when we beat Real at Wembley. Tripps put in some very good crosses, one of which Alli put in to score our first. Its easy to forget the decent performances and remember the mistakes.
We all accept he isn’t the greatest RB and his recent form has dipped, but he’s not as bad as you are making out. With luck his form will improve for the final.
As a side note Walker had awesome athleticism and was able to get back to defend and attack like no other, but don’t you recall that his delivery was nearly always terrible.
That was probably his best game for Spurs, one of arguably 5 games that could be included in that category, aided and abetted by the tactics of Madrid I might add where Marcello was playing the furthest man forwards, vacating a void that Tripps enjoyed. (FWIW I acknowledged that performance, just as I have the other 4 or so and I also think he was probably Englands best player at the Wolrd Cup).

There have been so, so, so many goals at his door in this CL campaign that he has to improve or we will lose the game. We are coming up against a better defence than City.

I will not go on and on about what Walker brought to the team as I've done it in detail for ages but Walker gave us balance, Walker was best asset in attack was he gave us width, could take on and get behind the oppo and just like Rose it wasn't about crossing it was about committing the oppo, they would often cut the ball back or lay it off for Eriksen or Dele. With Walker and Rose pre-injury we didn't just lump it into the box, we played good football.

Yes they do, literally, scores and scores of players are poor and play for their National side.

What's being reported is quite widespread and by some serious Jorno's not seeking a click. Assume that the stories carry some weight, just go along with them for the hell of it, what does it tell you if he was sold to Napoli? What would it mean?
Yeah, that’s why I put the word “successful” into my post. Loads of shite players have played for Djibouti and Liechtenstein but not many shite players have had great tournaments leading to the latter rounds for their national sides.

Ok, I’ll assume that the stories are correct and he moves to another successful club side for around £30m. This would lead me to think that another manager also believes Trippier is a very good player. Maybe not the best RB ever, but certainly not shite.

Assists are not the same as chances created. He created 49 chances this season, more than any other RB.

We are looking to move him on for the right price because he is 28 and had a poor season, and we can only sell players people want to buy. That doesn’t make him shit. Why would teams like Napoli and Atletico want to buy someone shit?
I wasn't talking about assists, you said chances and that is what I went on, although I have gone for "big chances". Premier League Player Stats - Big chances created

Yeah, that’s why I put the word “successful” into my post. Loads of shite players have played for Djibouti and Liechtenstein but not many shite players have had great tournaments leading to the latter rounds for their national sides.

Ok, I’ll assume that the stories are correct and he moves to another successful club side for around £30m. This would lead me to think that another manager also believes Trippier is a very good player. Maybe not the best RB ever, but certainly not shite.
Not in the realms of Walker money +£50m more in the region of Wimmer at £20m yeah, he's in that territory I guess.

I wasn't talking about assists, you said chances and that is what I went on, although I have gone for "big chances". Premier League Player Stats - Big chances created
Chances created is a very poor quality stat to derive any conclusions from. Big chances created requires a human to actually see the chances and pick out ones which are real chances for goals to be scored from. So you are definitely looking at the correct stat if checking for how many goalscoring chances are actually being created by a player.

If we do a (big chances created - big chances given away), Trippier would surely be in a negative.

Chances created is a very poor quality stat to derive any conclusions from. Big chances created requires a human to actually see the chances and pick out ones which are real chances for goals to be scored from. So you are definitely looking at the correct stat if checking for how many goalscoring chances are actually being created by a player.

If we do a (big chances created - big chances given away), Trippier would surely be in a negative.
I think stats are only useful when used as part of the discussion describing what a player does and doesn't do. Unfortunately, we now live in a stat driven world where the numbers are used without any context and actually form the opinion rather than the other way around. The classic case of this was Tripps assist stats that got trotted out during the season following Walkers departure, where he got loads of assists, unfortunately, the majority came against just two sides (Hull and Watford), those that weren't nearly half where from thow-in's (I've forgotten the exact figures so guessing somewhat, but at the time I did post on here the exact numbers). His crossing is a myth, lumping ball after aimless ball into the box.

Davies and Rose don't create a load of chances statistically but I'd have both over Tripps, both offer us so much more than Tripps.

And I don't rate Tripps, I think he's our worst player by far. Walker went for a World record fee for a defender at the time, paid for buy one of the richest clubs on the planet, doubling his salary as he went.

This isn't the case with Tripps, or are you saying it is?

I’m saying that Poch sold walker who was 6 months into a new six year contract.
You asked “why is Trippier being sold” to say he must be shit.

Do you think Poch gives a toss that Walker was going to triple his wages?
If he wanted the player, he wouldnt have sold him.

He signed Aurier, but stuck with Trippier for the next three seasons. How is Aurier far superior in your view, yet Poch has shown zero incompetence to you?

You asked what it meant if he goes to Napoli....it means he isn’t shit, it means he isn’t Champo, and it means he’ll be challenging for honors at a big European club and playing CL football next season.
Maybe you think WBA would finish 2pts behind Juve.

Last edited:
It’s funny because every single stat that proves Christian Eriksen is world class, means nothing for Trippier
Just chances created means you pass it to someone and they have a shot , without looking at where they had the shot from. It means nothing. Even the big chances created might not be completely correct but at least a real human has gone through those to see if a genuine goalscoring chance was created and its on the premier league website, so its (hopefully) not a complete idiot noting down those .

In the big chances created for the premier league, Eriksen has been in the top 5 in 3 out of the last 5 years with us while Trippier has been in there never in his life.

Just chances created means you pass it to someone and they have a shot , without looking at where they had the shot from. It means nothing. Even the big chances created might not be completely correct but at least a real human has gone through those to see if a genuine goalscoring chance was created and its on the premier league website, so its (hopefully) not a complete idiot noting down those .

In the big chances created for the premier league, Eriksen has been in the top 5 in 3 out of the last 5 years with us while Trippier has been in there never in his life.

How many times has Walker been there, out of interest?
Or Azpilucueta? Or Arnold?
The three RBs that finished above Trippier?

I’m gonna go with none also

Last edited:

XA90 is a qualitative and quantitive measurement of chances created per 90 minutes. Of our players who started more than a handful of league games only Eriksen (0.27) had a higher XGA per 90 than Trippier (0.19) in our team.

XA is the qualitative and quantitive measurement of expected goals from the chances created by a player. Of all our players over the course of the whole season, only Eriksen had a higher XA (7.88) than Trippier (4.58).

For comparison, Walker's XA at City this season was 1.94. His XA90 was 0.06.

Danny Rose XA 2.59. XA90 0.13.

Last edited:
I’m saying that Poch sold walker who was 6 months into a new six year contract.
You asked “why is Trippier being sold” to say he must be shit.

Do you think Poch gives a toss that Walker was going to triple his wages?
If he wanted the player, he wouldnt have sold him.

He signed Aurier, but stuck with Trippier for the next three seasons. How is Aurier far superior in your view, yet Poch has shown zero incompetence to you?

You asked what it meant if he goes to Napoli....it means he isn’t shit, it means he isn’t Champo, and it means he’ll be challenging for honors at a big European club and playing CL football next season.
Maybe you think WBA would finish 2pts behind Juve.
So to be clear selling Walker for a World record fee for a defender to one of the (biggest/richest/best clubs in the World *insert your own descriptive) is the same as selling Tripps to Napoli (not the biggest/richest/best club in Italy let alone the Wolrd) for half the price 3yrs after the sale of Walker in a rising market is the same?

I'm saying that Walker left for the "double whammy", more money and an improved chance to win things at City than at Spurs - This has proved to be the case has it not? A classic case of being tapped up and a player then wanting to leave. Tripps going to Napoli reeks of us saying see ya lad your time is done here find a new club. Let's not forget that Vlad Chiriches is their CB! (I'm delighted that an Englishman is looking abroad to play his football, this could be really good for him).

IMO he is nothing than a Championship level player. I'm allowed to have this opinion, I've always held this opinion, nothing I have seen from him in watching him since he signed for us has changed this opinion I have of him. I'd go further and that this year he's been worse than any previous season with us, he's garbage, absolute shite.

I'm no Napoli expert, I see a half dozen games of theirs each season, IMO he's not replacing their first choice RB Hysaj, I do see him replacing their 2nd choice RB Malcuit who has been heavily linked with a move to Woolwich. There are a lot of assumptions being made by you that he is going to be their first choice. My assumption is that he will be their 2nd choice RB.

So to be clear selling Walker for a World record fee for a defender to one of the (biggest/richest/best clubs in the World *insert your own descriptive) is the same as selling Tripps to Napoli (not the biggest/richest/best club in Italy let alone the Wolrd) for half the price 3yrs after the sale of Walker in a rising market is the same?

Yes it’s the same because a club doesn’t sell a player it wants simply to benefit the player and buying club.
If someone offers 100M for Kane should we sell?
No? Why not? It’s a record fee after all.
If Poch wanted Walker, he’d still be here. We all know that.

I'm saying that Walker left for the "double whammy", more money and an improved chance to win things at City than at Spurs - This has proved to be the case has it not? A classic case of being tapped up and a player then wanting to leave. Tripps going to Napoli reeks of us saying see ya lad your time is done here find a new club. Let's not forget that Vlad Chiriches is their CB! (I'm delighted that an Englishman is looking abroad to play his football, this could be really good for him).
You seem to have a bizarre view that because Walker won stuff, it means that we didn’t want to sell him.....are you saying that he was sold above Pochs head?

There’s only two scenarios here....Poch didn’t want him (backed up by the fact he was dropped for Trippier towards the end of the season and then sold)

Or he was sold without Pochs consent.
Pick one.

IMO he is nothing than a Championship level player. I'm allowed to have this opinion, I've always held this opinion, nothing I have seen from him in watching him since he signed for us has changed this opinion I have of him. I'd go further and that this year he's been worse than any previous season with us, he's garbage, absolute shite.
It’s not an opinion though, it’s a factually incorrect statement.
He is a PL player and has been for 5 years.
Again, bizarre you keep avoiding the part where you should be finding massive levels of negligence on Pochettinos part regarding this massive oversight of his.

I'm no Napoli expert, I see a half dozen games of theirs each season, IMO he's not replacing their first choice RB Hysaj, I do see him replacing their 2nd choice RB Malcuit who has been heavily linked with a move to Woolwich. There are a lot of assumptions being made by you that he is going to be their first choice. My assumption is that he will be their 2nd choice RB.

So we’ve gone from Napoli are on a par with Norwich and Leeds, to you haven’t seen them play (but last year they were elite under Sarri you said), to it doesn’t matter because he will be second choice.
So what if he’s second choice?
I thought top teams had quality back up?
Aurier and KWP are behind Trippier but you think they are far superior.....now bench players are on the bench because they are shit?

And as you say, who knows....maybe he will be starter. What will you mould your view into then?

Is Trippier actually for sale? Or do we think he is? Don’t think there’s a response to this that can be founded in fact.

What is fact is that our manager chose him to play the majority of our matches. What is also fact is he plays for the national side too.

Shite players don’t play so many games for successful clubs and countries.

I've accepted the fact the Poch doesn't envisage KWP pushing on, but I have the impression that Serge's injuries this year have gifted Trippier a number of 'second chances' that otherwise would have meant less game-time.

QUOTE="bus-conductor, post: 1876959, member: 6078"]
XA90 is a qualitative and quantitive measurement of chances created per 90 minutes. Of our players who started more than a handful of league games only Eriksen (0.27) had a higher XGA per 90 than Trippier (0.19) in our team.

XA is the qualitative and quantitive measurement of expected goals from the chances created by a player. Of all our players over the course of the whole season, only Eriksen had a higher XA (7.88) than Trippier (4.58).

For comparison, Walker's XA at City this season was 1.94. His XA90 was 0.06.

Danny Rose XA 2.59. XA90 0.13.
[/QUOTE] I dont doubt Trippier lumps a lot of pointless balls into the box which adds up to some of the probability based numbers . Instead look at facts like assists per 90 minutes.

Trippier also is in 10th in our team for assists per 90 minutes far behind KWP, Aurier and Rose. Theres a reason why trippier's passes/crosses dont turn into goals as much even though he puts in a ridiculously high number of crosses, because most of them are shite crosses .

Yes it’s the same because a club doesn’t sell a player it wants simply to benefit the player and buying club.
If someone offers 100M for Kane should we sell?
No? Why not? It’s a record fee after all.
If Poch wanted Walker, he’d still be here. We all know that.

You seem to have a bizarre view that because Walker won stuff, it means that we didn’t want to sell him.....are you saying that he was sold above Pochs head?

There’s only two scenarios here....Poch didn’t want him (backed up by the fact he was dropped for Trippier towards the end of the season and then sold)

Or he was sold without Pochs consent.
Pick one.

It’s not an opinion though, it’s a factually incorrect statement.
He is a PL player and has been for 5 years.
Again, bizarre you keep avoiding the part where you should be finding massive levels of negligence on Pochettinos part regarding this massive oversight of his.

So we’ve gone from Napoli are on a par with Norwich and Leeds, to you haven’t seen them play (but last year they were elite under Sarri you said), to it doesn’t matter because he will be second choice.
So what if he’s second choice?
I thought top teams had quality back up?
Aurier and KWP are behind Trippier but you think they are far superior.....now bench players are on the bench because they are shit?

And as you say, who knows....maybe he will be starter. What will you mould your view into then?
We wanted to sell Walker because he was approached by City, offered a deal we couldn't match or deemed not right for us to match. HE WANTED OUT. I support this approach, I support selling a player that doesn't want to be at the club, I support us extracting the very best price possible we can get from the buying club. I supported us selling Walker under the circumstances and will do again if a similar scenario presented itself. But make this crystal clear, Walker was NOT for sale, he had only just been offered him a new improved contract which he signed.

I make no reference about Walker leaving winning stuff means that we didn't want to sell him. I merely state that certain clubs (City being one) can approach your/our player and make a pitch not only to improve his earnings but also increase his chances of winning something, which in the case of Walker has proved to bear fruit. The reality is that I doubt he left to "win stuff" even if he might say this, as he decided to notify the gaffer of his intentions as we approached an FA Cup Semi, his chance to win stuff with us. (Players going to Man Utd right now aren't going there to "win stuff" they are going there to earn stuff).

I said Napoli were "great" under Sarri, I made no such claim they were elite, they were far from fucking elite and even further away from that this year. Watching 5 or 6 games is more than I watch Brighton, Huddersfield, Southampton, Fulham, Cardiff, Burnley, Bournemouth, Newcastle, Watford, West Ham, Leicester and Everton. Over the course of a season, I think that's a fair amount, in fact, I'd be surprised that most people would see more games for any of those teams I mentioned over a course of a season if there wasn't a family connection or link to said club. Seen the same number of Norwich and Leeds this season too as they seemed to be the clubs to watch. And I haven't changed my opinion based on what I've seen, let's remind us what I said before you come back to me with me making some outlandish claim comparing teams from different countries and different leagues: "Hard to tell and make direct comparisons, last year under Sarri no, they were great. This year not so much, I think Norwich and Leeds (around Xmas) would give them a good game, if Woolwich can beat them then there is your comparison". (FWIW I think they would give most PL side a good game too like Wolves have this season, another good footballing side that was playing well in the Championship).

No Tripps is shit because he's shit. All reports support the possibility that it's us selling not him requesting a move having been tapped up for more money and a "chance to win something". There is your difference.

Back
Top Bottom