Kyle Walker-Peters

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not to fussed with this. Just because he’s a spurs youth, doesn’t mean he’s going to be the next big thing. Southampton are his level and I hope he has a good career, but he’s going to be no better than Kyle naughton for me. We really need to be aiming bigger at Right back sorry. Southampton can have him, then hopefully we can speed this Hojberg deal up.

From what I've read, it seems like Soton have been working on KWP's physical conditioning. And so he's become stronger. Spurs should have done this long before now. It drives me crazy.

They think he's mustard and more importantly is well suited to the modern progressive pressing game Ralph plays.
The interesting question is why Ralph seems to see him as fitting a high pressing game but Poch didn't seem to.

both Poch and Ralph like to play with a high press and a decent bit of tempo. Heck, KWP even got a few games under Poch where he performed decently, even got a few MOTMs. But was then almost immediately dropped.

If Ralph sees something in him long term then he would be stupid not wanting to go there permanently.

Time for him to move on
When I've watched him for Spurs he's looked alright but apart from those 2 games v Bournemouth and Leicester where he got a handful of assists he hasn't looked particulary amazing.

He enjoys it at Southampton they like him and we need some money.

The interesting question is why Ralph seems to see him as fitting a high pressing game but Poch didn't seem to.

both Poch and Ralph like to play with a high press and a decent bit of tempo. Heck, KWP even got a few games under Poch where he performed decently, even got a few MOTMs. But was then almost immediately dropped.

If Ralph sees something in him long term then he would be stupid not wanting to go there permanently.
Because we dropped our high press at the time KWP was starting to knock on the door?? His debut was on the opening day of the season against Newcastle in season 17/18 (3 games), following season 6 games).

I don't profess to have the lowdown on how Ralph uses his FB's but there appears to be a difference between Poch and Ralph use them when thier teams press high. Under Poch (when we pressed high) his were very physical and were used to stretch the oppo so both FB's would play high and wide together (at the same time). They were also asked to track back too, highly demanding roll physically and why they were rotated frequently.

I think(??) Ralph uses his FB's more like Pep, which is to have them play (or one of them) play narrow and use a winger/AM to create the width. I don't think Ralph pushes both of his FB up high at the same time, meaning that when KWP is pushed up (I think he's the one that is the preference to play more advanced) the other FB is deeper (he might also use a CB or Midfielder to cover, as I say I've not by any means spent any time analysing Southampton, so just going off 5,6,7? games I've seen of theirs this season but during these games I've not witnessed both FB's pushed high and wide together they way Poch deployed Rose and Walker).

Also, whilst a huge fan of KWP's since his academy days he clearly wasn't anywhere ready physically to play at the same physicality of Walker or Auirer. I will always maintain that he was even then a better footballer (better technically on the ball and able to take-on the oppo) than Tripps. But it's probably fair to say that Tripps was better physically developed than KWP (I'm having to assume this as there were so few games played by KWP to actually witness this in practice) but as I'm sure you all know by now I don't rate Tripps at all and I would have played KWP over him.

From what I've read, it seems like Soton have been working on KWP's physical conditioning. And so he's become stronger. Spurs should have done this long before now. It drives me crazy.

I can never understand it when players lack strength or fitness. Those are basically the easiest things you can improve on any player and inexcusable if a Premier League club can't sort that out.

He's not the only Spurs player whose physical condition has been questioned so you have to wonder if it's an area we need to revamp.

Agreed. KWP always needed to bulk up and improve his upper body strength to avoid being shrugged off the ball. I just don't know why the coaches/medics don't see it.

In my view the same goes for Winks, Skipp and Foyth. They need to hit the weights. None of them are particularly fast so adding a few pounds shouldn't affect their mobility/speed.

Agreed. KWP always needed to bulk up and improve his upper body strength to avoid being shrugged off the ball. I just don't know why the coaches/medics don't see it.

In my view the same goes for Winks, Skipp and Foyth. They need to hit the weights. None of them are particularly fast so adding a few pounds shouldn't affect their mobility/speed.

Agreed stick them on the Adama Traore workout plan :)

Can't blame that in Poch as he is a big believer in players working with weights to grow physically and to work on those overall conditioning with extra sessions on the training field

The only difference is KWP has been given regular games in the PL. He has simply adapted to the pace and physicality of the players around him.

I can never understand it when players lack strength or fitness. Those are basically the easiest things you can improve on any player and inexcusable if a Premier League club can't sort that out.

He's not the only Spurs player whose physical condition has been questioned so you have to wonder if it's an area we need to revamp.
There's a massive difference though when you are young. Also, "Physicality" in my book absolutely doesn't translate into "being fitter". It means (for me anyway) the ability to play at a high intensity for long durations in the 90 mins, whilst also holding off your opponent.

This was archetypal Rose, he would simply wear out his opposite number. The best example I can give of this is Bellerin vs Rose. I think Bellerin is the more technically gifted footballer but over the 90mins of a game Rose always had his number, he physically dominated him. Quite often Bellerin would always have the better of him in the early exchanges in a game (first 20mins), but the pendulum would always swing in Rose's favour who by the end off the first half would have already started to assert himself on him, by 2nd half it was usually all Rose, first to every ball, winning every 1v1. This wasn't because Rose was faster but because Bellerin couldn't live at the intensity of Rose anymore and with every passing min Bellerin got worse, Rose wasn't getting better he was just maintaining his level.

A massive plus to Chelsea this year was having young legs do a lot of their pressing, however, it was also their downside too and not their defence which is the narrative, it's the ability to have the likes of Mount maintain their press throughout the game (keeping the intensity high), when this drops it means the oppo see more time on the ball and can manufacture better attacks than they were doing when they were being pressed high. Ergo Mount doesn't have the required physicality for them yet. The same as I would have said with KWP 2 years ago.

They are very fit young men but lack the overall conditioning to sustain a high press for long periods.

Back
Top Bottom