Lack Of Depth

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's gotten to the point now were Lamela would be more appreciated and supported if he was from our youth academy..funny how that works.

"Tim's son" could have done with half the support Lamela got in his first few months in the team.

Anyway..

Lamela has been improving quite a bit in his all round game. Finds himself just slightly behind the run of play but that will come..i hope.

Every year the Transfer market is 1 step forward and 2 back. (In-going and out-going players.)
It's all about the balance sheet, mate

Then the ENIC propaganda spinners come and preach how the 'next' Transfer window all will be well. We had an excellent platform last month to push for 4th - would be mighty disappointing if we piss it away.

Last edited:
We all realised there was nothing on the bench that would have had the
slightest impact . Taking a player off is usually a downgrade .
Liverpool had players in reserve that we only could dream of .
As others had said quality should be bought over quantity .
Another cheap squad , prospect , end of contract player should
not be our only strategy .
I just hope there is the will to invest significantly , to give Poch
a couple players he wants , that play his system and more importantly
have an impact . I am not so sure there is the will above to do this
unfortunately .

It's all about the balance sheet, mate

Then the ENIC propaganda spinners come and preach how thr 'next' Transfer window all will be well. We had an excellent platform last month to push for 4th - would be mighty disappointing if we piss it away.

I don't think it's LEVY/ENICs fault that our fans love a transfer. I really think if Levy was giving the choice of keeping the money from Bale for the Stadium and playing youth players vs 7 new players he go with the former. If he hadn't done what he did he would of been torn apart.

Every year we've been bringing in sup-par players when the right players were under our nose this whole time.

You could argue they weren't far enough developed at that stage but no one thought Bentaleb was ready to play and he fit in better than most of our senior players.

It's been discussed in the Winter Transfer thread.

There is a lack of depth but that really needed to be addressed before the start of the season. Now the problem with that is Pochetino had only just begun and had probably not drawn any final conclusions on the squad. He needs to make his mark over this summer and dispose the players he doesn't trust and bring in those he does.

WALOB

I can't stand people who refer to themselves in the third person.

:pochlol:
mr. siggy quite rather dislikes you too.
Like-A-Sir-Meme-LOLs.gif

We have decent goalie depth and we have decent coverage in the back line (right back depth is a concern). We have two-three decent midfield options off the bench. We have one striker and two huge question marks. So yes there is a depth issue - but that will be sorted in the summer I'd wager.

Also, bundling up Lamela with Paulinho and Soldado is hardly fair. Lamela is 22 and we paid a fee reflecting both his potential, performances and our Bale Money-status. Thus, inflated fee. Furthermore he has consistently outperformed them and is in my view a deserved starter. Obviously I want more from him but he's one to keep. Assist leader and all that. Lastly, stop saying he's had "two seasons" when we know full well he was injured more than half of last year + the fact we are in February. We have 20 ish games left this year and he is noticeably improving.

I don't think it's LEVY/ENICs fault that our fans love a transfer.
Transfers for the sake of buying players are pointless, imv

I rather bring one quality unit who improves our squad directly than signing 3 average ones instead (who would mostly likely cost more in wages anyway)

Last edited:
We do have a lack of depth in the deep CM and ST positions. Only got Mason, Bentaleb & Stambouli who can carry out Poch's style at CM, Dembele is so much better advanced it's not even funny, and only Kane up front. It's one of the reasons Poch sent out the same XI from 3 days earlier because the trust in the squad isn't there. Yes the big result could have given us a little buzz in this game but that wasn't apparent with the likes of Rose, Walker, Mason & Bentaleb looking tired and error prone. As much as we love the Mason, Bentaleb & Kane, Poch really has to be careful with them in the closing months of the season but also has his hands tied because of the shit competition for their places

I agree with the topic thread. There is no doubt we have a lack of depth, even some weakness in the starting list.
We need to recognise though that the lack of depth can imo be placed on the strategy of using Baldini to acquire players.
We/most said that getting Baldini was a step in the right direction, particularly as we were completely done with Levy undertaking this role. In hindsight most of the Baldini pick's whether first, second or third prefs have been less than our expectations.
Now our process is to use Mitchell, his black box and someone from MK Dons. Will this work ? , but that aside I am trusting Poch in his squad selection - does this mean Capoue is poorer than Paulinho - perhaps.
Next summer Poch gets to push on the one's he does not want.

We should revisit this next season, just pissed off again this is another season of lost opportunities

Well we know we have a starting eleven who can beat anyone on their day, but because we play with such a high intensity we are going to struggle in beating anyone else a few days later. A couple more midfielders in the Mason/Benteleb mould should see us right...and someone who can handle pace down the left side would be nice too.

and someone who can handle pace down the left side would be nice too.
You don't only need pace to handle pace - something which Rose proves almost every game. You need positional sense, above-average reading of the game and a good defender's 'brain

I disagree.

Rodgers had the luxury? He put on Ballotelli and Lovren, ffs. Ballotelli! He scores less than Soldado, and has detrimental body language, barely moves, and quite obviously don't give a fuck. Lovren has been quite a disaster since joining Liverpool. It's as if we'd brought on Chiriches.

Lallana, I guess, was a good sub. But why was he on the bench at all? It would be like us starting Eriksen on the bench.

We have a better squad than Liverpool, and definately better depth at the moment. We did, however, have an off day, and they got two goals from very unlikely players; Ballotelli and Markovic. They were lucky, they had a good day, we had a bad day. Simple as that.

Regarding our subs:
Paulinho, I suspect, was picked because Poch wanted three points. But he did come on as we ran out of energy, which didn't help neither Pauly nor Poch.

Chadli was brought on for the same reaso, knowing that he is capable of both creating and scoring. He is a bit off his game at the moment though, which is very natural given the circumstances. Can't blame Poch for wanting him involved and giving him game time to get back to where he was though.

Soldado, in my opinion, definately has something to offer. It won't be goals, but assists and attacking combinations. He came on at a bad time though, when we were out of energy, when livercunts started time wasting, and when that fat ref decided he'd see Liverpool win it by regarding their bullshit and time wasting.

The problem with the subs were mainly that Eriksen and Dembele were pulled. In the latter case I think it's simply because the big guy runs out of energy. Dunno about Eriksen..

What really screwed us over towards the end, though, were all the shitty long balls. When asker earlier about our ability to score late winners, Eriksen has pointed to the fact that we haven't become stressed. We've played our game untill the end. Yesterday we didn't do that. The last 10 minutes of the game were long balls, panicky football. That shit won't make any of our subs look good.

We all realised there was nothing on the bench that would have had the
slightest impact . Taking a player off is usually a downgrade .
Liverpool had players in reserve that we only could dream of .
As others had said quality should be bought over quantity .
Another cheap squad , prospect , end of contract player should
not be our only strategy .
I just hope there is the will to invest significantly , to give Poch
a couple players he wants , that play his system and more importantly
have an impact . I am not so sure there is the will above to do this
unfortunately .
I was watching with a Liverpool fan, when they brought on Lovren he told me that was it, we were going to win, and when they brought on Balotelli he said we were definitely going to win...cunt...

I disagree.

Rodgers had the luxury? He put on Ballotelli and Lovren, ffs. Ballotelli! He scores less than Soldado, and has detrimental body language, barely moves, and quite obviously don't give a fuck. Lovren has been quite a disaster since joining Liverpool. It's as if we'd brought on Chiriches.

Lallana, I guess, was a good sub. But why was he on the bench at all? It would be like us starting Eriksen on the bench.

We have a better squad than Liverpool, and definately better depth at the moment. We did, however, have an off day, and they got two goals from very unlikely players; Ballotelli and Markovic. They were lucky, they had a good day, we had a bad day. Simple as that.

Regarding our subs:
Paulinho, I suspect, was picked because Poch wanted three points. But he did come on as we ran out of energy, which didn't help neither Pauly nor Poch.

Chadli was brought on for the same reaso, knowing that he is capable of both creating and scoring. He is a bit off his game at the moment though, which is very natural given the circumstances. Can't blame Poch for wanting him involved and giving him game time to get back to where he was though.

Soldado, in my opinion, definately has something to offer. It won't be goals, but assists and attacking combinations. He came on at a bad time though, when we were out of energy, when livercunts started time wasting, and when that fat ref decided he'd see Liverpool win it by regarding their bullshit and time wasting.

The problem with the subs were mainly that Eriksen and Dembele were pulled. In the latter case I think it's simply because the big guy runs out of energy. Dunno about Eriksen..

What really screwed us over towards the end, though, were all the shitty long balls. When asker earlier about our ability to score late winners, Eriksen has pointed to the fact that we haven't become stressed. We've played our game untill the end. Yesterday we didn't do that. The last 10 minutes of the game were long balls, panicky football. That shit won't make any of our subs look good.
Tiredness was a definite factor last night.

I don't think there was much we could do in the January window. From what I've read Poch wasn't bothered about getting anyone in as there wasn't anyone available. With Mitchell and the scout from Leicester who has come in, we need to make sure we back their judgement and Poch's in the summer.

Paulinho is shite and we need to find a team stupid enough to take him off our hands. Levy might need to bite the bullet on that one and take a hit. We need some new full backs this summer as we have the thickest full back pairing in the league.

I don't think there was much we could do in the January window. From what I've read Poch wasn't bothered about getting anyone in as there wasn't anyone available. With Mitchell and the scout from Leicester who has come in, we need to make sure we back their judgement and Poch's in the summer.

Paulinho is shite and we need to find a team stupid enough to take him off our hands. Levy might need to bite the bullet on that one and take a hit. We need some new full backs this summer as we have the thickest full back pairing in the league.

You're kidding, right? I mean seriously, you must be fucking joking. I'm a long time lurker here, and never before have I seen a post so blatantly annoying. You don't rate Ben Davies? You don't rate Kyle Walker? You don't feel that DeAndre Yedlin has the makings of a fantastic full back?

Frankly, your statement just strikes me as ridiculous. Our full backs are fine. We just lack adequate depth in the team. Ideally our full backs and our central midfield pairing would have good cover, which luckily right now, one of our full backs does. The question that should be asked, is why Pochettino would start Rose again after what Welbeck did to him in the Woolwich game for their first goal.

Back
Top Bottom