Lack Of Depth

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This summer needs to be the summer where we buy class, and I mean class in positions we are weak. We do that and depth will come. Coentrao at LB, Moutinho at CM and Mussachio at CB. That'll demote Mason, Dier and Rose/Davies to the bench giving us a stronger bench and improving vastly our starting XI. The bench is where we lost it last night.

This summer needs to be the summer where we buy class, and I mean class in positions we are weak. We do that and depth will come. Coentrao at LB, Moutinho at CM and Mussachio at CB. That'll demote Mason, Dier and Rose/Davies to the bench giving us a stronger bench and improving vastly our starting XI. The bench is where we lost it last night.
You want to demote the players that stuffed Chelsea and the scum to the bench and bring in players that could end up like Paulinho, Capoue and Soldado? WHAT?

Moutinho will cost far too much and isn't that great a signing considering his age. He also lacks the required stamina/energy for Pochetino's style. Fabio Coentrao hasn't quite been the same since his breakthrough World Cup in 2010. And let's face it, signing players from the Spanish League rarely seems to work out for Spurs now, does it?

You want to demote the players that stuffed Chelsea and the scum to the bench and bring in players that could end up like Paulinho, Capoue and Soldado? WHAT?
I want experienced players that our younger players can learn from. Like Davids did Carrick. We are aiming for the Champions League right? We need players who've been there and done it. Coentrao is far, far superior to Rose and Davies, Moutinho is a world class CM who could be excellent for Ryan and Nabil's development and Mussachio next to Vertonghen would be excellent.

Lol at the comparisons to Paulinho, Capoue and Soldado. You've names two CM's and a ST to my suggestion of a LB, CM and CB. The risk is far less than those three anyway, all CL experienced.

Are you suggesting just because we beat Chelsea we shouldn't look to improve the side? that we shouldn't buy anyone in the summer because of a single result. WHAT?

Moutinho will cost far too much and isn't that great a signing considering his age. He also lacks the required stamina/energy for Pochetino's style. Fabio Coentrao hasn't quite been the same since his breakthrough World Cup in 2010. And let's face it, signing players from the Spanish League rarely seems to work out for Spurs now, does it?
Age and experience is why I want him, 3-4 years alongside Nabil and Ryan to help their development like Davids did Carrick. He's 28 anyway, not exactly old.

I want experienced players that our younger players can learn from. Like Davids did Carrick. We are aiming for the Champions League right? We need players who've been there and done it. Coentrao is far, far superior to Rose and Davies, Moutinho is a world class CM who could be excellent for Ryan and Nabil's development and Mussachio next to Vertonghen would be excellent.

Lol at the comparisons to Paulinho, Capoue and Soldado. You've names two CM's and a ST to my suggestion of a LB, CM and CB. The risk is far less than those three anyway, all CL experienced.

Are you suggesting just because we beat Chelsea we shouldn't look to improve the side? that we shouldn't buy anyone in the summer because of a single result. WHAT?
Didn't say that we shouldn't buy anyone in the summer. I find it absolutely laughable that you want to bench the side that dicked Chelsea and the Scum, we went toe to toe with them and battered them. I want more of the players like that in the team, not over priced fucks that don't play for the shirt. It's as simple as that.

Last edited:
Age and experience is why I want him, 3-4 years alongside Nabil and Ryan to help their development like Davids did Carrick. He's 28 anyway, not exactly old.

He's a deep lying playmaker. Not the highest of energy roles. In a system that seems to rely on two dynamic, box to box midfielders, I don't see why outlaying £20+ Million on a 28 year old player who doesn't fit the system, or have premiership experience is even being discussed.

Just because a player has Champions League experience, doesn't mean they're the right mold for the Premier League, let alone the right mold for Spurs.

Didn't say that we shouldn't buy anyone in the summer. I find it absolutely laughable that you want to bench the side that dicked Chelsea and the Scum, we went toe to toe with them and battered them. I want more of the players in that team, not over priced fucks that don't play for the shirt. It's as simple as that.
''bench the side'' - 3 players?! Stop being such a drama queen. 3 young players who have much to learn and can do from experienced players coming in. Christ, the way you're reacting you'd think I'd suggested putting a bullet between their heads. It's also the same side that just lost to Liverpool.

Im getting the general pattern now.

Win, cracking squad with a bright future.
Lose, need players, Levy wont invest.

We need today what we needed back in September. 2 new strikers.

Since the window, we have lost Lennon, so a wide player would be nice. Seeing as we have dropped Capoue altogether, then a replacement for him and Paulinho would be an idea, but we only need one player in for those two.

We do not need wholesale changes, we are building. The players were knackered last night, but we were all very happy to see the same line up that beat The Scum. No point complaining afterwards.

Some people were happy with Soldado and Paulinho up until the last few weeks. They claimed they were top class players. Now they are going to bemoan squad depth and a weak bench?

Where were these concerns back in September? Everyone just wanted a marquee DM...

A US style depth chart shows how far away we are from being able to compete in the league as we'd all like (Poch included). Italics indicates “ currently useless”. Chiriches still useful only as backup RB while Yedlin develops.

GK: Lloris, Vorm & Friedel
RB: Walker, Yedlin
CB: JV, Fazio, Dier, Chiriches* & Kaboul
LB: Davies, Rose
Deep CM: Mason, Bentaleb, Stambouli, Paulinho & Capoue
Behind the striker: Eriksen, Dembele, Chadli, Lamela & Townsend
ST: Kane, Soldado & Adebayor

Read somewhere he ideally would like a 23 man squad in his early days. Which means we’re about 5 short of being where we need to be. Ideally 2 in each full-back position, 4 CB, 4 deeper midfielders, 5 players capable playing off the striker & 3 strikers. Hopefully Yedlin does push on in the next 12 months so it really leaves us needing 1 CB, 1 CM, 1 winger/#10 & 2 strikers. Alli potentially to come into that deeper role or an experienced short-term fix (Cabaye season loan?) while he develops, another young CB who can be a long-term partner with Dier, perhaps Pritchard to deputise the 5 mentioned in a role in that three behind the striker, definitely MUST buy a striker who we can rotate with Kane and another young guy who we can slowly blood in.

Until then this trusted squad of 18 we have will not be able to compete in the 38 game competition and must focus on the cups!

''bench the side'' - 3 players?! Stop being such a drama queen. 3 young players who have much to learn and can do from experienced players coming in. Christ, the way you're reacting you'd think I'd suggested putting a bullet between their heads. It's also the same side that just lost to Liverpool.

3 young players who will learn more from playing a vital role in the team, as opposed to rotting away in the under 21s and on the bench.

He's a deep lying playmaker. Not the highest of energy roles. In a system that seems to rely on two dynamic, box to box midfielders, I don't see why outlaying £20+ Million on a 28 year old player who doesn't fit the system, or have premiership experience is even being discussed.

Just because a player has Champions League experience, doesn't mean they're the right mold for the Premier League, let alone the right mold for Spurs.
You say that, but you wouldn't have seen Moutinho losing the ball like Nabil and Ryan did over and over again last night. He would have slowed the game down, taken control of the ball and shown a sense of calm that was deeply lacking in us last night.

The be all and end all is, we must always look to improve our side, to enhance depth, and people like that will give us that. We can't rely on just Ryan and Nabil for 50+ games a season. Because fuck having Paulinho, Capoue as our backup.

I think the drama is with you fella, after one lose you jump on a thread and demand we buy more players.

You're kidding, right? I mean seriously, you must be fucking joking. I'm a long time lurker here, and never before have I seen a post so blatantly annoying. You don't rate Ben Davies? You don't rate Kyle Walker? You don't feel that DeAndre Yedlin has the makings of a fantastic full back?

Frankly, your statement just strikes me as ridiculous. Our full backs are fine. We just lack adequate depth in the team. Ideally our full backs and our central midfield pairing would have good cover, which luckily right now, one of our full backs does. The question that should be asked, is why Pochettino would start Rose again after what Welbeck did to him in the Woolwich game for their first goal.
I was referring to last night's pairing. Davies has had games where he's looked good and games where he's looked bad but hasn't had a consistent run of games. I haven't seen enough of Yedlin to judge.

Kyle Walker's pace gets him out of trouble so many times. His positioning is poor and he often loses his man. He hasn't improved on these since he joined us.

You say that, but you wouldn't have seen Moutinho losing the ball like Nabil and Ryan did over and over again last night. He would have slowed the game down, taken control of the ball and shown a sense of calm that was deeply lacking in us last night.

The be all and end all is, we must always look to improve our side, to enhance depth, and people like that will give us that. We can't rely on just Ryan and Nabil for 50+ games a season. Because fuck having Paulinho, Capoue as our backup.

You also wouldn't see Moutinho having been nearly as effective against Chelsea because once again, he does not fit Pochetinos system. Pochetino should be looking for more young players with potential, that he can mold into the players he wants. Mason and Bentaleb didn't get in the team because they were world beaters. They got their chance because they adapted to his system quicker than any experienced player could.

They have energy to burn and they will do everything they can to put out fires, something Moutinho doesn't excel at and isn't likely to adapt to.

rotting away?! so we're going to play the same XI every match are we?!

Moutinho, Bentaleb, Mason would all play 30+ games. Hardly rotting.
We only need 4 players for those 2 deeper CM roles. With 2 seasons of top flight English football under Bentaleb's belt, 1 each for Stambouli & Mason, I don't think we need to be making too many rash decisions in the centre of the park. Let's not forget Dele Alli is set to come in next season also. If Poch and his team don't think he is ready for first team football next season I agree a good short-term experienced player in that position should come in like Davids, Parker & Gallas (granted different position) did. Moutinho is a bona fide starter and doesn't fit that criteria. Perhaps a De Jong or even older type to help them out but no way should it be a guarantee starter over what we have.

Back
Top Bottom