Lack Of Depth

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You also wouldn't see Moutinho having been nearly as effective against Chelsea because once again, he does not fit Pochetinos system. Pochetino should be looking for more young players with potential, that he can mold into the players he wants. Mason and Bentaleb didn't get in the team because they were world beaters. They got their chance because they adapted to his system quicker than any experienced player could.

They have energy to burn and they will do everything they can to put out fires, something Moutinho doesn't excel at and isn't likely to adapt to.
I don't see the point of buying loads of players in the same mould. I appreciate the thought of Poch's system, but we also need a diverse range of players. We can't just have the same type of CM coming off the bench. Look at Chelsea and City, they have different types of players who play the same position, not so sure having the same type of players is the way forward.

We only need 4 players for those 2 deeper CM roles. With 2 seasons of top flight English football under Bentaleb's belt, 1 each for Stambouli & Mason, I don't think we need to be making too many rash decisions in the centre of the park. Let's not forget Dele Alli is set to come in next season also. If Poch and his team don't think he is ready for first team football next season I agree a good short-term experienced player in that position should come in like Davids, Parker & Gallas (granted different position) did. Moutinho is a bona fide starter and doesn't fit that criteria. Perhaps a De Jong or even older type to help them out but no way should it be a guarantee starter over what we have.
I'd take a De Jong too. I suggested Moutinho because I rate him. It just seems glaringly obvious atm the one thing we lack in our side is experience. Got bags of potential, just need a bit more leaders to learn from.

I have the mindset that transfers in and out is going to take a while, the whole process is like Tom Huddlestone's mobility (turning an oil tanker).

We have to dispose of players and get new ones in either via acquisition or youth squad and then we have to bed them in, this is why teams like Chelsea have a jump on us because they have an established nucleus of a squad and system, we're further back from that state, we're still building a new nucleus and getting our system to work, we'll get there but it's not just going to happen over one transfer window and the changes we make won't always reap instant rewards.

The problems are there to see, we all know we're short of a dangerous striker and we need to cut some of the dead weight in the squad. Who wants to buy an underperfoming player? Who wants to sell an in form player?

I know that doesn't answer the lack of depth question but as I've said before if the answers were simple and easy they would have been answered long before now.

Schniderlin, Moutinho and now de Jong?

Spin off a few more names eh? A midfielder is a midfielder is a midfielder......do people even remember what it is they claim we need anymore?

"We need a Pirlo, Gazza, Bale, Lineker type DM/winger type, who can play as a 10 or 9 and box to box and chip in with goals and experience and be a captain who gets stuck in"

LOL

Cool. Look forward to the side that played against Chelsea playing every game from here and forever. No need to improve anymore, we're there!

Cos thats what he believes isnt it....he could just a s well type "so you want a whole new starting 11"....but because thats not what you said, it would be truely pathetic wouldnt it...

I've been clear with my answers mate, I don't need to repeat myself over and over.
I think we need to bring one quality attacking player (wide forward / striker) - possibly 2 if finances allow. Someone who would improve our starting 11/18 and offer real quality and game-changing ability

If that makes me a fucking melt - happy to live with the shame on here, mate

Schniderlin, Moutinho and now de Jong?

Spin off a few more names eh? A midfielder is a midfielder is a midfielder......do people even remember what it is they claim we need anymore?
We need some sort of alternative to Mason, Bentaleb & Stambouli that is not Paulinho. We will once again be competing in 4 competitions next season and these 3 guys can't hold down those 2 spots in the XI on their own. None of us know if Alli will be ready or if Veljkovic will step up so at this stage it does look like we lack depth in that role no?

We need some sort of alternative to Mason, Bentaleb & Stambouli that is not Paulinho. We will once again be competing in 4 competitions next season and these 3 guys can't hold down those 2 spots in the XI on their own. None of us know if Alli will be ready or if Veljkovic will step up so at this stage it does look like we lack depth in that role no?

Im sorry, but name one team with 5 CMs of top 4 PL first team quality playing for two spaces, with 3 sitting happily on the bench.

The levels of delusion are incredible. Maybe we should just sign Yaya Toure as back up?

Schneiderlin would be immense but possibly Goon-bound at this stage. CL football next season would be a massive factor

Alternatively we can opt for Kovacic - immense potential (cheaper too). Internazionale won't even make Europe next season at this rate plus the league is regressing slowly

Was that supposed to be proof that he said we should play the chelsea side forever and never sign another player or something?
No, it wasn't. You know what it was showing.

Anyway, I find it ridiculous I get criticized for wanting to bring in top notch players to improve our squad and get told it's not needed. There's a reason we lose more often than not after EL games and a reason we bring on Paulfuckinginho as a sub. Depth, which 3 class signings will provide. It's not throwing our youngsters by the wayside as suggested. It's trying to improve a good side.

Im sorry, but name one team with 5 CMs of top 4 PL first team quality playing for two spaces, with 3 sitting happily on the bench.

The levels of delusion are incredible. Maybe we should just sign Yaya Toure as back up?
Central midfielders I'd take over Paulinho:

Chelsea: Fabregas, Ramires, Mikel (yes even Mikel), Matic
City: Yaya, Fernando & Fernandinho (yes even those spuds), fat Frank, even Milner as a CM
United: Carrick, Blind, Herrera, Fellaini (at least offers aerial ability)
Southampton: Wanyama, Schniederlin, Ward-Prowse, Cork, Davis
Liverpool: Gerrard, Henderson, Can, Allen, Lucas

Each side has at least 4 players I'd trust or who can offer something different unlike Paulinho. We currently have 3. But no depth in central midfield isn't a problem at all

Central midfielders I'd take over Paulinho:

Chelsea: Fabregas, Ramires, Mikel (yes even Mikel), Matic
City: Yaya, Fernando & Fernandinho (yes even those spuds), fat Frank, even Milner as a CM
United: Carrick, Blind, Herrera, Fellaini (at least offers aerial ability)
Southampton: Wanyama, Schniederlin, Ward-Prowse, Cork, Davis
Liverpool: Gerrard, Henderson, Can, Allen, Lucas

Each side has at least 4 players I'd trust or who can offer something different unlike Paulinho. We currently have 3. But no depth in central midfield isn't a problem at all
Agreed, but Cork just joined Swansea. God forbid we get injuries.

Back
Top Bottom