League Cup Quarterfinal: Tottenham vs West Ham | Wednesday 22 Dec | 19:45 KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

For the next time you see a West ham fan mention our trophy drought.

FHTYAcqXMAUEvRM

Sorry about the double reply - fat fingers! The word ‘pikey’ is a derogatory, abusive term for people of Romany heritage I believe. Romanies are a distinct ethnic group.

I would say it is a word used for travellers who are generally Irish. I don't use it (check my posting history) but I would suggest it offensive rather than racist.

It originated as a nickname for workers that operated Turnpikes on canals in the same way as Chippy, Sparky etc.

Last edited:
Saw west ham fans as they normally do antagonising us and people on train. They must be exhausted always feeling inferior to us and behaving like that. Getting a bit embarrassing being better than them all the time.

For all those rightly condemning Spammers using racist language seen on social media. Luckily this media wasn't so prevalent at the height of the Sol hate?

It’s a load of bullshit made up by Westham fans to justify a large majority of their supporters being anti Semitic chavs. Every time we get an incident of this nature, all they ever fire back at us is “ but, it’s ok for you lot to be racist with Sol Campbell “ , which like clockwork, they spout back every single time their rotten supporters get caught out. I’m sure Sol Campbell received vile racist abuse by a very small minority, but Sol Campbell getting abused was literally nothing to do with his colour. He was hated for joining our fiercest rivals. Westham fans are bunch of chavvy anti Semitic pieces of shit

The "famous" song about Sol was tarnished as racist and homophobic. It was neither. Non black people have been hung from a tree, Including Judas himself, who supposedly hung himself. So the idea we wanted him swinging from a tree because we're racist isn't even in keeping with the rest of the song, let alone real life.
The reference to having HIV was labelled homophobic. Last time I checked heterosexual people get HIV too. more to the point though, HIV happens to rhyme with tree. That's it. Don't think there's special underlying meanings. It rhymes and is in keeping with the hate level.
I wish Sol had been white... Cos he STILL would've got the same level of abuse.

Colour had NOTHING to do with the vitriol of hate aimed at him.

I would say it is a word used for travellers who are generally Irish. I don't use it (check my posting history) but I would suggest it offensive rather than racist.

It originated as a nickname for workers that operated Turnpikes on canals in the same way as Chippy, Sparky etc.
Interesting; I was wondering where the term came from and after reading your post looked it up. Wiki gives a definitive history, including your info. As always, it is a complex issue, and not exclusively about race, but class, lifestyle etc. I suppose I feel it is a reductive term that diminishes people to a stereotype that makes us feel better about hating them. Which, I think, is at the root of racist slurs too. Anyway, I’m on the whisky mac now and quickly losing the power of coherent thought. Have a good evening!

Interesting; I was wondering where the term came from and after reading your post looked it up. Wiki gives a definitive history, including your info. As always, it is a complex issue, and not exclusively about race, but class, lifestyle etc. I suppose I feel it is a reductive term that diminishes people to a stereotype that makes us feel better about hating them. Which, I think, is at the root of racist slurs too. Anyway, I’m on the whisky mac now and quickly losing the power of coherent thought. Have a good evening!

I have read in the past that the term Gypsy has origins in Egypt where the travellers were thought to have come from?

Apart from inbreeding this text puts the Isle Of Sheppey on the map again!

The Oxford English Dictionary traced the earliest use of "pikey" to The Times in August 1838, which referred to strangers who had come to the Isle of Sheppey as "pikey-men".[10] In 1847, J. O. Halliwell in his Dictionary of Archaic and Provincial Words recorded the use of "pikey" to mean a gypsy.[10] In 1887, W. D. Parish and W. F. Shaw in the Dictionary of Kentish Dialect recorded the use of the word to mean "a turnpike traveller; a vagabond; and so generally a low fellow".[10]

Back
Top Bottom