Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Ooohh! I've been called a teenager! 😊

uggo-ron-ogden.gif

It is definitely a compliment. Like being asked for ID past the age of 30 :)

That's really not correct. Had we just "tagged along proportionally," as you suggest, we wouldn't have closed the gap on Utd, overtaken the goons, outstripped Everton and Villa, clubs that a decade or two ago were in a similar position to us, if not better.

Yes, I know that's not the Footballing side of things, but let's look at that under Enic's tenure.

Sugar sold a club that hadn't seen European Football for nigh on 2 decades. Under Enic we progressed from that to regular European qualification, with a CL final thrown in. The first in our history. We went from bottom half regulars to top 4 regulars. We challenged for the title twice, something not seen since the 80's.

Since 1991, our last FA cup win, we have been in 8 semi finals, losing them all.
Since 2008, our last trophy, we've been in 3 League Cup finals, losing them all to Utd and Chelsea twice. We've been in numerous semi final losses too.

We made it to a Champions League final for the first time in our 137 year history.

We've been competing for top silverware regularly over Enic's tenure, we just haven't gone that final step.

What else happened over the timeframe of the tenure? Chelsea were bought by Abramovic, who pumped a shitload of cash into the team, no regulation/FFP at that time, and proceeded to hoover up trophies regularly. Prior to him, the teams that weren't financially doped (Utd, goons, Scouse) we were beginning to compete properly with. Man City were bouncing between divisions back then. So Liverpool and the goons get frozen out of the title running, with only Utd able to match their finances.
Then the Qataris buy City, and the landscape changes again.

We're now arguably better than Utd, better than the goons, but have fallen behind Chelsea, City and Liverpool, one team actually deservedly where they are through good management, with the other two obscenely financially doped.

Now imagine the scenario where the financial doping were removed, and clubs would only be able to compete with their own raised revenue. Our competition financially would be Utd and Liverpool. We'd be top 3 and challenging far more regularly, of that I have no doubt.

Even so, we've been challenging regularly, just failing at the last hurdle. There's an argument that had Enic spent more it could have taken us over that last hurdle, I accept that and even agree to an extent. But I'd also say that the players have to be questioned. The CL final was a prime example of this. We knew we were good enough to beat Liverpool, we all believed that was going to be our first CL. The players didn't though, they played with fear and lost. That's not on Enic.

Apologies for the long windedness of the post, so I'll close it by saying that I hope the above is evidence enough to at least make you stop and think that Enic have done far more than you give them credit for.

Whether they are right for us going forward I think is something we'll have to wait and see, now the money is transparently available.

Better than United? Better than the Goons? Say what? On what evidence is that? Trophies? Average league position?

You can only "compete" for so long without actually being a realistic, credible part of the "competition" by, like, beating someone to something, before it becomes a mumbo-jumbo. In our case 21 years.

I credit ENIC for developing the real estate, but even that is done leveraged in the clubs income, so really this FC has just been exposed to a leveraged takeover by its own owners.

I'll give you one important point, though: Now, if not before (lol), there are money transparently available, now and in future earnings. There are no tangible excuses for not net-outspending anyone but United and the sugar-daddied clubs. Window after window, season after season. No more sell-to-buy. No more no-quality-players-available. No more difficult-to-get-a-deal-across-the-line-in-january.

No more.

No doubt.

Liverpool fans moaning about FSG is funny. I know a few scousers though and they all say they'd never want to switch owners, so maybe more of a noisy social media thing? That's purely anecdotal though. The guys I've spoken to were more annoyed about the super league business than spending. They view FSG as tight fisted, stereotypical American ownership but recognise they've been ran competently and can't argue with the results. Where they were when taken over compared to now is night and fucking day.

To be fair to ENIC, I'll give them this:

When FSG finally get to building a new stadium, you can be pretty sure they aren't gonna pay it out of their own good pockets.

The FC will have to leverage that as well.

The worst thing Levy did in one sense is give fans hope. We got close to being successful. Some understand that is an achievement and see it as part of the development of Spurs, others lament it, and want to blame someone.

Better than United? Better than the Goons? Say what? On what evidence is that? Trophies? Average league position?

You can only "compete" for so long without actually being a realistic, credible part of the "competition" by, like, beating someone to something, before it becomes a mumbo-jumbo. In our case 21 years.

I credit ENIC for developing the real estate, but even that is done leveraged in the clubs income, so really this FC has just been exposed to a leveraged takeover by its own owners.

I'll give you one important point, though: Now, if not before (lol), there are money transparently available, now and in future earnings. There are no tangible excuses for not net-outspending anyone but United and the sugar-daddied clubs. Window after window, season after season. No more sell-to-buy. No more no-quality-players-available. No more difficult-to-get-a-deal-across-the-line-in-january.

No more.
Did you just edit out the bits you didn't like?

What a waste of time.

"There's none so blind as those that refuse to see"

Did you just edit out the bits you didn't like?

What a waste of time.

"There's none so blind as those that refuse to see"

No.

I replied to the part, that outlines the premise of your argument:

- That we have now overtaken AFC and MUFC as a football superpower.

Simply, I replied there is little if anything to prove just that. Quite the contrary. Even in periods of hillarious ineptitude, they both still managed to regularly win a cup here or there.

Which kind of does shakes up the foundations of it all.

No.

I replied to the part, that outlines the premise of your argument:

- That we have now overtaken AFC and MUFC as a football superpower.

Simply, I replied there is little if anything to prove just that. Quite the contrary. Even in periods of hillarious ineptitude, they both still managed to regularly win a cup here or there.

Which kind of does shakes up the foundations of it all.
Ah, just ignored the bits you didn't like and put your own spin on it. You're a journalist?

I never suggested we've overtaken Utd, I stated we're"arguably" better.

I've put the word you "missed" in inverted commas so you don't miss it this time. As for the goons, yes, we're better than them.

You've totally ignored the premise of my post, which was that Enic have elevated us during their tenure. You couldn't, or wouldn't, offer a counterargument to that, so you focussed on the agenda and spun something out of nothing, trying to alter the premise of the post.

In all honesty you'd have been better off ignoring the entire post.
Fail Melissa Mccarthy GIF by HBO Max

Even in periods of hillarious ineptitude, they both still managed to regularly win a cup here or there.
ENIC don't play football. We got to the finals and bottled it. That's not on them (well...I'd argue the last final is but otherwise...) I have no great love for Levy and ENIC and their weird ways, but they're not to blame for everything. And they absolutely have kept us a long way from relegation territory.

When Nuno was going downhill early in the season, I jumped ship for a couple of weeks and shouted ENIC out because it was becoming a farce. Then again, I'm an emotionally-stunted man-child. Now Conte is in and there's a bit more of a plan, there's no reason to shout for their heads this moment in time.

Levy openly admitted he'd taken his eye off the ball. I guess fundamentally being a property developer and spending too much time choosing the shape of the toilets the VIPs shit in at a super-stadium can cause you to do that. So he got in Paratici, who has now brought in Conte, Romero, Bentancur and Kulu (and Bryan who I think is terrific but I wont go there). He's also shipped out the wage thiefs and kept Kane. Some of us clueless muppets were shouting for Kane to go. Levy was shrewd enough not to listen to our nonsense and finally let Conte win him over.

Right this minute, we're in a pretty good place. If they get this summer window right - and there's no reason to doubt Paratici at this moment in time given what he's achieved so far - we could be a tasty prospect mounting a proper challenge next season.

If they fuck up this summer and Kane and Conte walk, I'll fund the banners myself*

* I wont. I'm tight.

ENIC don't play football. We got to the finals and bottled it. That's not on them (well...I'd argue the last final is but otherwise...) I have no great love for Levy and ENIC and their weird ways, but they're not to blame for everything. And they absolutely have kept us a long way from relegation territory.

When Nuno was going downhill early in the season, I jumped ship for a couple of weeks and shouted ENIC out because it was becoming a farce. Then again, I'm an emotionally-stunted man-child. Now Conte is in and there's a bit more of a plan, there's no reason to shout for their heads this moment in time.

Levy openly admitted he'd taken his eye off the ball. I guess fundamentally being a property developer and spending too much time choosing the shape of the toilets the VIPs shit in at a super-stadium can cause you to do that. So he got in Paratici, who has now brought in Conte, Romero, Bentancur and Kulu (and Bryan who I think is terrific but I wont go there). He's also shipped out the wage thiefs and kept Kane. Some of us clueless muppets were shouting for Kane to go. Levy was shrewd enough not to listen to our nonsense and finally let Conte win him over.

Right this minute, we're in a pretty good place. If they get this summer window right - and there's no reason to doubt Paratici at this moment in time given what he's achieved so far - we could be a tasty prospect mounting a proper challenge next season.

If they fuck up this summer and Kane and Conte walk, I'll fund the banners myself*

* I wont. I'm tight.
How many finals and semi’s have we actually bottled eg been clear favourites? More than half the time, we’ve done well to get there as underdogs

Last edited:
When Kane threatened to walk last summer.......The vast majority turned on Kane.

When Pochettino threatened to walk in 2019.....The vast majority turned on Poch

If Kane and Conte walk this Summr, I think we all know who comes out the shit show somehow smelling of roses :levywtf:🌹 whatever words and bluster they spout beforehand.

To some, the man is invincible. Its genuinely perplexing how a businessman with little interest in football or on the field success can be so admired and loved by so many after so long.

Last edited:
When Kane threatened to walk last summer.......The vast majority turned on Kane.

If Kane and Conte walk this Summr, I think we all know who comes out the shit show somehow smelling of roses :levywtf:🌹 whatever words and bluster they spout beforehand.

To some, the man is invincible. Its genuinely perplexing how a businessman with little interest in football or on the field success can be so admired and loved by so many after so long.
It really doesn’t matter how many times you claim it to be true, but I don’t know a single Spurs fan that “admires and loves” Daniel Levy.

You make yourself look more ridiculous with each post.

JT this "vast majority" is you, Zomb and a few other negative trolls - remember the mass protests? Kane out? Poch out? Levy out? nope nor does anyone else, it's all in your mind ... haters simply gotta hate.

DL is a very good CEO, that's his job, he's probably not a very good Director of Football or EPL Manager, luckily those aren't his jobs ... in my opinion most Spurs fans get that, even if you don't.

Hes not as loved as you think. People were chanting "we want levy out, we want levy out" in the stadium earlier on in this season.

I was wondering what everyone's take on the season ticket renewal date being before the end of the season? Has this ever happened before?
Personally I'm not surprised, its just another snub to the legacy fans and I hope it bites Levy on the arse

I was wondering what everyone's take on the season ticket renewal date being before the end of the season? Has this ever happened before?
Personally I'm not surprised, its just another snub to the legacy fans and I hope it bites Levy on the arse
Tells me that the club realise there's a good chance that Kane & Conte won't be staying this summer , need to shake all the money out of pockets before it dawns on fans.

I’ll have one last go because I’m a decent bloke:

Who/what would you like to see buy Spurs?

Come on mate, you’re an expert on the ownership of premier league football clubs, I’ve asked three times now.

No, you're not.

You're one of the biggest ratbags on here. Nothing decent about you either on here, or in real life.

And yes, I'd happily tell you that to your face then laugh at you whilst you tried to slap my face with all the power that Will Smith just showed.

most the in and out of ENIC swings with the managers.

When we had Graham, AVB, Santini, Ramos, Nuno, past it Jose, Sherwood etc the desire for change was strong.

During Jol, Redknapp, Pochettino in particular and now Conte it swings back other than when we totally fall flat on our arses in the transfer market (see Poch backing!)

Lesson is clear, hire a good manager. Easier said than done but without a good manager at the helm we always look directionless. With a good manager like Poch or Conte we have a path.

Hes not as loved as you think. People were chanting "we want levy out, we want levy out" in the stadium earlier on in this season.
He sacked Nuno the next day didn't he.? :levylol:

You're probably right mate. Although I think some people have some kind of inane love for the man that they themselves aren't even aware of.

It's why they're so quick to jump on here and defend every action he takes.

Whether that be the Super league fiasco..... Stratford..... Aston Villa ticketing scandal..... Self imposed year and a half transfer embargo......Highest paid CEO despite 0 trophies in 15 years......The pathetic DNA statement followed by hiring Nuno.

The list is endless but one word of criticism and they're rallying round their man like their life depends upon it or a family member is being attacked.

And yet.....a few bad results and they'll have no hesitation abusing our players or sticking the knife into our manager....

Maybe some kind of subconscious role-play fantasy is at work🤔 ..After all, 21 years is a long time. It's a very strange situation.

Back
Top Bottom