Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

As with everything it a bit more complicated than we like. PFA and agents have far more to do with the current situation than players. Owners could be putting far more into clubs than they are, but people like Levy are getting the brunt of it.

Not defending anyone's actions, though, because no one is going to come out of this looking good regardless of mitigating circumstances.
Agree with that but the players could do it voluntarily and tell the PFA and agents to fuck off.
This applies to all players /clubs

One thing the Covid-19 crisis is doing effectively is shining a light on the enormity of the gap between the super rich - including footballers - and the rest of us. They won't come out of this looking good - a rethink of our current model is needed. This is an opportunity to hit the reset button, and in any event I'm sure things will change, hopefully for the better.

One thing the Covid-19 crisis is doing effectively is shining a light on the enormity of the gap between the super rich - including footballers - and the rest of us. They won't come out of this looking good - a rethink of our current model is needed. This is an opportunity to hit the reset button, and in any event I'm sure things will change, hopefully for the better.
Whilst I agree with this my man, the truth is I believe nothing will change, there is a race and a desire to "get back to normal" as fast as possible. The "normal" is what is fucked. 90% of us do utterly pointless jobs that serve little true value or worth to society and the desire is to get back to doing that again.

Agree with that but the players could do it voluntarily and tell the PFA and agents to fuck off.
This applies to all players /clubs
I think there are some contractual challenges with this. I don't know, it's a big mess and it's always the people who can afford it the least that suffer the most.

Whilst I agree with this my man, the truth is I believe nothing will change, there is a race and a desire to "get back to normal" as fast as possible. The "normal" is what is fucked. 90% of us do utterly pointless jobs that serve little true value or worth to society and the desire is to get back to doing that again.

Yeah, I get you, more of an idle hope on my part - I do like my job though!

Yeah, I get you, more of an idle hope on my part - I do like my job though!
The next big thing (if this comes to an end) the world has to come together on (not that I think it's together now fighting any pandemic) is the impact of climate change. A threat just as real as the one we are facing today. It will be interesting to see the impact on our climate during these lockdown periods.

Brighton's coaching staff have agreed to a pay cut following 2 weeks of negotiations with the club.
One by one the clubs coaching staffs are starting to fall in line once Howe took the plunge.

The next big thing (if this comes to an end) the world has to come together on (not that I think it's together now fighting any pandemic) is the impact of climate change. A threat just as real as the one we are facing today. It will be interesting to see the impact on our climate during these lockdown periods.

It ain’t going to be fixed, half the world has to many kids, China makes stuff and destroys the planet in the process with pollution and the West is obsessed with consumption and celebrity.

We all know every aspect is probably unsustainable and it goes way beyond climate change. During the age of the dinosaurs the Earth was far warmer but the dinsaurs didn’t have humans in the way destroying their habitat. When you combine increase in consumption, population, loss of habitat and global heating all at once it isn’t the greatest.

Yeah couldn't agree more, the climate crisis is the big issue on the horizon (as well as a present reality, really) which is going to have profound implications on the way we all live, certainly in my own lifetime. As bad as Covid-19 is the systemic change it's going to cause is nothing compared to what's to come in that respect.

I think 90% do jobs that are beneficial. The 10% are the worthless.
Don't lose your faith in the working man. These people keep the world running whether they're street cleaners, shop assistants etc etc
People are fundamentally good. The tiny minority can make the rest of us look bad.
Don't sink to their level.
You're a Spurs fan. That already makes you worthwhile.

Yeah couldn't agree more, the climate crisis is the big issue on the horizon (as well as a present reality, really) which is going to have profound implications on the way we all live, certainly in my own lifetime. As bad as Covid-19 is the systemic change it's going to cause is nothing compared to what's to come in that respect.
Would you mind telling Trump that. 😂

Tax 'obscene' furloughing by football clubs - MPs

Premier League football clubs which do not cut the salaries of highly-paid players while furloughing non-playing staff must be told by the government to pay a windfall tax, says the Department of Culture, Media and Sport parliamentary committee.

DCMS committee chair Julian Knight has written to Chancellor Rishi Sunak urging for sanctions to be brought in to stop clubs pursuing what he describes as "a two-tier system".
"We are facing an obscene situation where top players who aren’t working are continuing to see hundreds of thousands of pounds roll in each week while the staff who keep the clubs going are losing wages," says Mr Knight.

Clubs have come under fire for not deferring the wages of their players, with players' union the Professional Footballers' Association facing criticism for its slow response.
Former England international Gary Lineker says he is "positive" the players will "want to do something to help".

Lineker - now a television presenter - thinks they will "respond in the right way" after agreeing on a course of action, although he thought the PFA rarely gave "great guidance or leadership".

Source - BBC

Good, now the PFA have to start to play ball on agreeing player wage cuts.

Kudos to Levy for bringing things to a head with publicity (which I suspect was his intention as he's seen PFA doing nothing except sit on their hands and write to players telling them not to agree to any wage cuts)

It’s a bit rich the sports media suddenly getting on their high horse about all this.

Normally they are more than happy to fan the flames that have led to football to become a monetised bloated mess.

I do find myself conflicted over the Spurs staff taking a pay cut using the govt scheme whilst our multi millionaire players don't. I'm sure it was done in part by Levy to force the players hands and shame them into action.
There has been plenty of criticism of the clubs who have decided to use the govt scheme to cover part of the staff's wages and I know we are a multi million pound industry but the so again are the airlines who are using it and I don't see them criticised.

I think 90% do jobs that are beneficial. The 10% are the worthless.
Don't lose your faith in the working man. These people keep the world running whether they're street cleaners, shop assistants etc etc
People are fundamentally good. The tiny minority can make the rest of us look bad.
Don't sink to their level.
You're a Spurs fan. That already makes you worthwhile.
Mate I sell and have sold for over 25yrs software solutions to companies to enable them to market their worthless shit that their punters think they need it. Utterly pointless.

Bankers, utterly pointless scum. Lawyers, utterly pointless leaches. Accountants utterly pointless, if they fuck up they still get paid. Cleaners, pointless, don't make the place dirty in the first place. Insurance, pointless, same business model as the protection racket administered by Maffia. Shop assistants, pointless, selling plastic crap made in china for 5p shipped 10,000 miles around the planet to end up in landfill 3 months latter, pointless.

Whilst those (me/you/and everyone else) that carry out these jobs are no doubt lovely people (I hope people think of me that way) what we do in the society that we have created is largely utterly pointless. A service that is provided because someone is to busy to do it themselves because we are too busy earning our coin selling something shit or providing a service to someone else that's too busy to do it themselves because they are to busy to do it themselves because they are.....People paid peanuts in a call centre, chasing a debt of another poor sod just as poor as them who's also being chased by a poor sod working in a call centre.

Workers on the shop floor of a factory making cars that not a single one is ever bought with actual money but sold on credit, that's then just rolled over into the next car and the next one and the next one, all in an effort to keep up with the social standing of how you are judged by the car that you drive. Same workers on another shop floor of a mobile phone company deliberately building into their products batteries that die so you have to replace it with another new one, that does exactly the same stuff the previous model did but it will cost you 20% more and incompatible headphones so you need to buy yet another pair, best get the wireless ones that fallout for your ears and get lost because they aren't secured to the phone anymore, so replace them again 2 months latter.

:levywtf::mourloopy::mourcry::mourcheeks::mourweird::sonhmm::pochsulk::pochserious2::dembelefingers::walker::paulinhobored::avbshock::klinsmann::parker::myword::wansum::angryscouser::wall:

Lockdown day 14.

Up the Spurs!
:dierpochhug:

Mate I sell and have sold for over 25yrs software solutions to companies to enable them to market their worthless shit that their punters think they need it. Utterly pointless.

Bankers, utterly pointless scum. Lawyers, utterly pointless leaches. Accountants utterly pointless, if they fuck up they still get paid. Cleaners, pointless, don't make the place dirty in the first place. Insurance, pointless, same business model as the protection racket administered by Maffia. Shop assistants, pointless, selling plastic crap made in china for 5p shipped 10,000 miles around the planet to end up in landfill 3 months latter, pointless.

Whilst those (me/you/and everyone else) that carry out these jobs are no doubt lovely people (I hope people think of me that way) what we do in the society that we have created is largely utterly pointless. A service that is provided because someone is to busy to do it themselves because we are too busy earning our coin selling something shit or providing a service to someone else that's too busy to do it themselves because they are to busy to do it themselves because they are.....People paid peanuts in a call centre, chasing a debt of another poor sod just as poor as them who's also being chased by a poor sod working in a call centre.

Workers on the shop floor of a factory making cars that not a single one is ever bought with actual money but sold on credit, that's then just rolled over into the next car and the next one and the next one, all in an effort to keep up with the social standing of how you are judged by the car that you drive. Same workers on another shop floor of a mobile phone company deliberately building into their products batteries that die so you have to replace it with another new one, that does exactly the same stuff the previous model did but it will cost you 20% more and incompatible headphones so you need to buy yet another pair, best get the wireless ones that fallout for your ears and get lost because they aren't secured to the phone anymore, so replace them again 2 months latter.

:levywtf::mourloopy::mourcry::mourcheeks::mourweird::sonhmm::pochsulk::pochserious2::dembelefingers::walker::paulinhobored::avbshock::klinsmann::parker::myword::wansum::angryscouser::wall:

Lockdown day 14.

Up the Spurs!
You're describing the ugly face of Capitalism.
You may be cynical but you're right.
Unfortunately. people have to live this way because there isn't another viable option in the world that has been created
I'm trying to do my bit by "furloughing" private patients and doing solely NHS work.
Hopefully everyone is trying to do their bit. Football seems so very unimportant in light of a real emergency. Does put things into perspective doesn't it
Take care and be well.

Lockdown day 14.

Up the Spurs!
...fitter, happier, more productive...

Back
Top Bottom