Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Levy: Offers to privately pay staff out of his own pocket so that he doesn't have to fire them from their actual jobs.

Fans: He just doesn't give a fuck.

Like, Daniel deserves criticism but not for this.

No, it's not. Because if they are not furloughed they will be made redundant. That's what you do when there is NO work and NO revenue. I've unfortunately had to do this a few times over the past 30yrs or so, I've never had the luxury of having to furlough staff through, just bin them off.
It's not that black and white. We're talking about relative peanuts to cover those non-playing staff which tight arse Levy and his cronies could have covered no problem out of their own pockets. Just because a government hand out is there doesn't mean you have to be among the first in line with your begging bowl.

With the obscene wealth in football it looks bad. If you're fine with it then what can I say. Personally I think it reflects very poorly on the club and I'd like to see a u-turn on this all too hasty decision

Last edited:
I don’t believe the idea that there will be no transfers.

Many clubs will be licking their lips as others struggle. We will be looking to take advantage.
The transfers to be done would the firesales from clubs going out of business around, with administrators selling the assets of the business. The market will be depressed as the supply will outstrip demand and those left standing will legitimately be walking wounded with cash reserves probably gone (and all forms of revenue reduced from matchday, commercial and TV). These buying clubs will also have to dispose of their own players however before they can buy in new, so unless they have contracts running out on players they don't wish to renew eg Vertogen then there really will be limited movement.

It will be interesting on the strategy of clubs with huge playing staff, say like Chelsea who have +50 players out on loan, this could be a massive burden on the wage bill, but where clubs have gone smack or about to go smack they could sell their assets and in return take on an entire team of loanees???

It's not that black and white. We're talking about relative peanuts to cover those non-playing staff which tight arse Levy and his cronies could have covered no problem out of their own pockets. Just because a government hand out is there doesn't mean you have to be the first in line with your begging bowl.

With the obscene wealth in football it looks bad. If you're fine with it then what can I say. Personally I think it reflects very poorly on the club and I'd like to see a u-turn on this all too hasty decision
It is absolutely that black and white.

Their wage bill is NOT peanuts given there is ZERO revenue coming in and NO sign, not even a sniff of when it's likely to come in. Just like Hotels, Airlines there is no fucking income, no income means redundances.

People keep on going back to the players and how much they earn, well so far there has been no wage bill cut by them, we are week FOUR into this shut down FOUR!!! and we are still paying their wages which represents 40% of our income.

So yeah, lets act like dicks and pay everybody their full wages just for shits and giggles, let's do absolutely fuck all and put the Club under pressure. Then we can all applaud how brilliant a decision that was whilst it sinks like a ship. At least we paid the staff is a fitting epitaph.

Last edited:
It is absolutely that black and white.

Their wage bill is NOT peanuts given there is ZERO revenue coming in and NO sign, not even a sniff of when it's likely to come in. Just like Hotels, Airlines there is no fucking income, no income means redundances.

People keep on going back to the players and how much they earn, well so far there has been no wage bill cut by them, we are week FOUR into this shut down FOUR!!! and we are still paying their wages which represents 40% of our income.

So yeah, lets act like dicks and pay everybody their full wages just for shits and giggles, let's do absolutely fuck all and put the Club under pressure. Then we can all applaud how brilliant a decision that was whilst it sinks like a ship. At least we play the staff is a fitting epitaph.
Well, I see it very differently. And don't even get me started on the bloody players.

Well, I see it very differently. And don't even get me started on the bloody players.
Our wage bill is approx £15m per month!! Almost all of that is player and Manager Wages (Jose keeping a bit quiet ain't he, best let the players take the flack and no doubt he's spending most of his time with his accountants desperately checking he's not going to face yet another tax evasion trail).

When you run a business in a crisis, you look at all the things that you can control costs on, one of those is wages. It's clear that he can't do anything about the player wages or else they would also have been addressed by now, so he acted swiftly and decisively in addressing the areas that he has control over.

The furlough scheme was set up to cover PAYE wages, it's very existence is to keep these staff in a job rather than have them laid off. It is truly bizarre how people don't understand this. These staff aren't working as there is no work for them to do, that means they would have been made redundant. Having them furloughed has kept their jobs.

In the meantime, we continue to shell out £15m in wages (alone) to players whilst ZERO money comes in. Fingers can be pointed at Levy for all manner of things but from where I stand (a business owner of 30yrs) he's done exactly the right thing. I'd rather Levy run Tottenham in this crisis than ANY other business administrator on the planet.

I also find the hypocrisy of some Spurs fans getting their knickers in a twist over this whilst only 4 weeks ago they were screaming "just pay him what he wants" when Toby's contract was being negotiated. (not specifically aimed at you mate).

How the fuck did you arrive at that conclusion? Rather than sack staff, or have OUR Club pay, he is prepared to pay them himself for work that they do.
I was referring to the PR, it just seems that he's doubling down by allowing Nora the tea-lady keep a wage by digging ditches on his estate...

Our wage bill is approx £15m per month!! Almost all of that is player and Manager Wages (Jose keeping a bit quiet ain't he, best let the players take the flack and no doubt he's spending most of his time with his accountants desperately checking he's not going to face yet another tax evasion trail).

When you run a business in a crisis, you look at all the things that you can control costs on, one of those is wages. It's clear that he can't do anything about the player wages or else they would also have been addressed by now, so he acted swiftly and decisively in addressing the areas that he has control over.

The furlough scheme was set up to cover PAYE wages, it's very existence is to keep these staff in a job rather than have them laid off. It is truly bizarre how people don't understand this. These staff aren't working as there is no work for them to do, that means they would have been made redundant. Having them furloughed has kept their jobs.

In the meantime, we continue to shell out £15m in wages (alone) to players whilst ZERO money comes in. Fingers can be pointed at Levy for all manner of things but from where I stand (a business owner of 30yrs) he's done exactly the right thing. I'd rather Levy run Tottenham in this crisis than ANY other business administrator on the planet.

I also find the hypocrisy of some Spurs fans getting their knickers in a twist over this whilst only 4 weeks ago they were screaming "just pay him what he wants" when Toby's contract was being negotiated. (not specifically aimed at you mate).

So there’s a things to unpack here, but first, 15m/month on wages for a club that has made 260m in profit the last two seasons does not scream that we are a club in crisis. This is a difficult period for us, but we aren’t on the verge of collapse.

Secondly, the season is very much likely going to conclude at some point, and whatever commercial source of income will be there. Match day revenue is likely not going to come back this season imo. The Prem will find a way to get games played because they have too much financial interest to not do it. I’m not sure how they’re going to structure the rest of the season versus the next season, but this could essentially be no different than a period in the summer where we usually go about two months not playing any games.

The uncertainty is far from ideal but we aren’t collapsing, please tone down the rhetoric a bit here.

I was referring to the PR, it just seems that he's doubling down by allowing Nora the tea-lady keep a wage by digging ditches on his estate...
And that a good thing mate. Good for the Club & good for the employee (club gets rid of an overhead, employees gets to keep a job and income).

Fuck the PR! The PR right now is a bunch of football journo's with no football to write about. So now they are having to write about complex legal and complex business ramifications that they know absolutely nothing about.

The media industry is on it's knees, the ad revenue has dropped off a cliff, their very livelihood is at stake. Ther's a good chance that they will be furloughed too, so I'd expect them to turn to their Billionaire bosses with their begging bowls very soon.

And that a good thing mate. Good for the Club & good for the employee (club gets rid of an overhead, employees gets to keep a job and income).

Fuck the PR! The PR right now is a bunch of football journo's with no football to write about. So now they are having to write about complex legal and complex business ramifications that they know absolutely nothing about.

The media industry is on it's knees, the ad revenue has dropped off a cliff, their very livelihood is at stake. Ther's a good chance that they will be furloughed too, so I'd expect them to turn to their Billionaire bosses with their begging bowls very soon.
You just can't see it, there's no point arguing...

Back
Top Bottom