Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Cosmic, we're not yet as bad as we were in the 1920s and 30s.

We were in the Second Division for 11 of the years of that barren period, it's hardly comparable
Your right, they are in no way comparable.

Going without a trophy for 25 years and being in the 2nd division for 11 of those years.

Going without a trophy for 12 years and being regular top 4 contenders and reaching numerous semi's and finals.

I know which one I'd prefer.

An excuse to weaken the squad? 'Tried' for Dybala etc. No defensive midfielder or right back, no striker cover, change of manager etc.? Spent too much on a fat Frenchman?
And then the excuses rolled in in January when we decided to wing it through the season without a recognised striker.
My favourites were the ones blaming Mourinho.

:harrylol:

Some people think this conversation actually happened :

JM "I'm desperate for a striker, please, please, please, buy me a striker, I'm begging you! *

DL" No!! You can have as many midfielders as you want, but you ain't getting a striker. Now fuck off"

JM "OK"

:mourfacepalm:

An excuse to weaken the squad? 'Tried' for Dybala etc. No defensive midfielder or right back, no striker cover, change of manager etc.? Spent too much on a fat Frenchman?

Such a disingenuous reply. That's not what your prev. post implied at all.

We spent significant money in the summer. Added players in jan and spent a fortune in changing the manager cos it was deemed necessary.

Managers come managers go yet the excuses are still there yet there has been one constant through all this.......:memeokay::wansum:
Yep. Never going to go to the next level with these guys. They don't seem that interested in winning things on the pitch. Going backwards from a few seasons ago. Best hope is after joe Lewis departs they sell up. Let someone else have a go at winning things as it's beyond these lot.

Such a disingenuous reply. That's not what your prev. post implied at all.

We spent significant money in the summer. Added players in jan and spent a fortune in changing the manager cos it was deemed necessary.
My post was about this being used as another excuse (as valid as it may be) for a potential lack of improvement to the squad (comparitive to other clubs).

Record profits, highest season ticket sales etc.

My only hope is that as it will be a global recession the club's previous lack of investment into the playing staff can possibly give us more spending power, but I have very considerable doubts about this.

If we don't/can't invest, it increases the likelihood of no trophies and increases the risk of players like Harry getting itchy feet, which further slows our progression.

One constant in the last couple of decades apparently. One constant in the ever changing football scene. Couldn’t make it up.

The only thing that’s been close to constant is our improvement almost every season except the last. Shame some of our fans have the memories of a particularly confused gibbon.

My post was about this being used as another excuse (as valid as it may be) for a potential lack of improvement to the squad (comparitive to other clubs).

My only hope is that as it will be a global recession the club's previous lack of investment into the playing staff can possibly give us more spending power, but I have very considerable doubts about this.

If we don't/can't invest, it increases the likelihood of no trophies and increases the risk of players like Harry getting itchy feet, which further slows our progression.

You said....

"the latest excuse to not invest properly in the squad come a time when the window opens it would seem."

Which implies we never invest in the squad.

....Which is obviously cobblers.

Whether or not Poch/our scouts spent the money poorly is another matter entirely.

You said....

"the latest excuse to not invest properly in the squad come a time when the window opens it would seem."

Which implies we never invest in the squad.

....Which is obviously cobblers.

Whether or not Poch/our scouts spent the money poorly is another matter entirely.

The net spend speaks for itself, we have to be able to give the new manager the tools to do the job, which means spending money and we do not like doing it as much as other clubs.

That is quite clear from history, especially with regards to the size and power of the club.

I did not say we don't spend, my personal opinion is that we all too often vastly underspend and I think there is evidence for my stance on this.

Splurging on what looks like a complete wrong 'un last summer makes it even worse tbh.

The net spend speaks for itself, we have to be able to give the new manager the tools to do the job, which means spending money and we do not like doing it as much as other clubs.

That is quite clear from history, especially with regards to the size and power of the club.

I did not say we don't spend, my personal opinion is that we all too often vastly underspend and I think there is evidence for my stance on this.

Splurging on what looks like a complete wrong 'un last summer makes it even worse tbh.
I honestly believe we’ll see spending. Levy is many things, but stupid isn’t one of them. He’s not going to take on Mourinho, pay him fortunes and ask him to promote from youth. He’s taken on a manager who uses the market and he will surely give him the tools to succeed.

If he doesn’t, I’ll be the first on the protest march.

It would beneficial to have a FSG hierarchy, who would not only sign hopeful sell ons and if any good wouldn't have to leave us to win trophies elsewhere.
Or keep your system and win fuck all forever
Agree with this. So what we are saying is we don’t need new owners, we just need a layer of strong scouting in the club to spend our money better.

Back
Top Bottom