Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Football is fun and meant to be an escape from every day life.

Yesterday. Drove to the station. Delayed because of road works. 30 mins and £6 to park.
Train to London. £30.
Bus to Liverpool Street
Train to WHL.
2.5 hours door to door.
Three drinks. 2 for me and one for a random who had 550 points so thought it was worth keeping in his good books. £16.
Usual Block but 15 rows further back for £60. Total £112. Would have been £120 if not for the free chicken burger. Decent but not as good as Chick King and costs £5 more.
90 minutes of utter garbage.
Northumberland Park to Stratford.
Tube to London Bridge.
Train to T.Wells.
20 minute drive.
Nearly hit 3 deer on the by pass. I still don't know how missed them or how the prick tailgating me did not go in to the back of my car. Miracle.
Got home at 22.15.

I must be out of my nut doing that 20-25 times a season. And yet all I am is a CRN.

Sad times.
You do it, not because you are out of your nut, but because you love the club.

That love started long before ENIC came along or before Kane was even born. It will continue long after they are gone.

You (and other fans) are the club and the club is you.

COYS!

You do it, not because you are out of your nut, but because you love the club.

That love started long before ENIC came along or before Kane was even born. It will continue long after they are gone.

You (and other fans) are the club and the club is you.

COYS!
A sentiment I’ve always striven to echo Spider. You are quite right.

Things do feel a little different this time around though. Putting aside the car crash that is our team/squad/management, there are two further things pushing me out of the door.

The first is ‘modern football’ - a trope that I’m aware has been around for decades. VAR, ESL, Sky, unfettered greed, terrible habits on the pitch, saturation coverage....

The second thing is me. I feel like I’m ‘putting up’ with all of the above out of some loyalty to the past. I’m guilty of mushy nostalgia at the best of times but The Shelf, football at 3 o’clock on a Saturday, magic away days, cheap turnstile prices, Hoddle/Ardiles/Waddle et al aren’t ever coming back. As I sit in a stadium (if I’m honest) I don’t really like (yet?) being deafened by the Star Wars theme and being treated to a ‘light show of constant advertising’ around the pitch I wonder what on earth im doing. And that’s before the game has started.

The two points above are clearly linked to my age and my generation. That isn’t to say I didn’t love Poch and the ride he took our club on. I loved it and the team he built. Maybe I’m just fucking fatigued by it all

Things do feel a little different this time around though. Putting aside the car crash that is our team/squad/management, there are two further things pushing me out of the door.

The first is ‘modern football’ - a trope that I’m aware has been around for decades. VAR, ESL, Sky, unfettered greed, terrible habits on the pitch, saturation coverage....

The second thing is me. I feel like I’m ‘putting up’ with all of the above out of some loyalty to the past. I’m guilty of mushy nostalgia at the best of times but The Shelf, football at 3 o’clock on a Saturday, magic away days, cheap turnstile prices, Hoddle/Ardiles/Waddle et al aren’t ever coming back. As I sit in a stadium (if I’m honest) I don’t really like (yet?) being deafened by the Star Wars theme and being treated to a ‘light show of constant advertising’ around the pitch I wonder what on earth im doing. And that’s before the game has started.

The two points above are clearly linked to my age and my generation. That isn’t to say I didn’t love Poch and the ride he took our club on. I loved it and the team he built. Maybe I’m just fucking fatigued by it all
Superb

I gave mine up at the start of this season. I refuse to give that man anymore of my money. I will continue to go to Tottenham on match days though and watch it in the pub when we occasionally play at 3 PM on a Saturday! Levy will not destroy the friendships I’ve made and the days out I enjoyed!
Quite a few of my crowd are doing / have done that over the last couple of years. Some of my friendships have come about from our away days with the Supporters' Club and still going strong today.
Think that may be the way forward, but what a sad state of affairs.

Great post.
I'm sensing with the Hoddle/Ardiles/Waddle et al part we are similar ages and seen similar things.

Personally, I've been a fan for over 40 years, but (due to circumstance) only a ST for less than 40 months. I can't ever see me not being a ST holder now though.

I can remember going to a cup final for £6 and keeping tokens in programmes and ticket stubs to get tickets for certain games.

Football (the day out) is not the magical experience it once was, is that age or is that evolution? I'm unsure.

UEFA Final 84, £3 through the turnstiles on lower Shelf. Best night ever for me as a Spurs fan.
The UEFA Cup Final in 1972 was only 50p for standing - I was perched on the little fence at the back of the Paxton and hardly saw a thing. But it didn't matter, just being there was enough :)

Great post.
I'm sensing with the Hoddle/Ardiles/Waddle et al part we are similar ages and seen similar things.

Personally, I've been a fan for over 40 years, but (due to circumstance) only a ST for less than 40 months. I can't ever see me not being a ST holder now though.

I can remember going to a cup final for £6 and keeping tokens in programmes and ticket stubs to get tickets for certain games.

Football (the day out) is not the magical experience it once was, is that age or is that evolution? I'm unsure.
Im 48 and you must be around the same age. I do try to reject the rose tinted glasses whenever I fall into that trap. I’m unsure whether it’s age or evolution too mate.

Ive got one foot out of the door but i wouldn’t be surprised if I’m up there in August. We are, after all, addicts...

wow - all downhill from that!

In the main yes.
At least the 84 one I can remember being at both games, don't really remember much about the 72 but think I have spotted myself in the video of the game.

First game I can really remember being at properly was the following season I think, home to Newcastle. 2 down at half time, won 3-2

Last edited:
Everyone is fixated on getting the right manager , quite rightly.

But for me if we don't spend big this summer that's an even bigger problem.. We need to become competitive again.
Yesterday I think showed this. Although bare in mind the squad have no manager because Ryan Mason just picks his friends and makes no subs until the last minute.

We clearly need better players.
Hopefully the new manager is backed. My only worry is if we finish completly outside Europe how much 'pulling power' do we have.

E103yrcWQAM06XP

Back
Top Bottom