Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Of course, I just think it's one thing to want it, but someone has briefed this to the press, and I don't think that right after a 4-0 defeat to a depleted Newcastle, and after a run of unconvincing performances, is the time to be suggesting this group of players belongs at the highest level.

Prove yourself too good for your current level before talking about the level above, whatever your internal wants and wishes.

Well, I guess they've got a big chance to prove it with our remaining fixture list!

Here's hoping.

View: https://x.com/thespursexpress/status/1781193424143864286?s=46&t=DK3x3JffKkqwqcsQdIeO_A

Noises like this coming out of the club?

Are they taking the piss?

Trying to manage expectations when you charge the highest season ticket prices in the country and have the highest paid Chairman in the country…

When they release stuff like this through trusted media you just know they are terrified of fans actually expecting them to be really ambitious….

Sounds like Ange and the coaching staff want to play in EL.

The board want (and need) CL football and the cash it brings.

Like Ange said he’s not about the finances. He’s not stupid. Newcastle and United struggled in CL.

We will have a better season rotating our second string in the EL than trying to rotate our second string in the league and first team in the CL.

Ange has made it pretty clear CL doesn’t matter one solitary fuck to him.

I don't see a problem with the club aiming for CL football providing they release the funds so we can compete in it.

As an aside I find the insistence that we're currently not good enough to play in the competition a bit funny when we have a whole summer to improve and would have by then completed a season under this manager.
I don't have a problem with them aiming for it, I'd have more of a problem if they weren't, it's the phrasing of "test themselves at the highest level" I object to, maybe I'm being fussy but that wording gives of vibes of thinking that's where they belong, and at this stage they haven't really done anything to prove that on the pitch.

We are good enough to be in it, one hundred percent, there's tons of guff in there to begin with, but there's a huge difference between that and being one of the contenders.

When you hear "test yourself at the highest level", they're not talking about being in the group stage with Celtic and Crvena Zvezda, they are talking about Madrid, Munich, Milan :)contesmell:), and I just think that displays a level on unearned ego right now.

View: https://x.com/thespursexpress/status/1781193424143864286?s=46&t=DK3x3JffKkqwqcsQdIeO_A

Trying to manage expectations when you charge the highest season ticket prices in the country and have the highest paid Chairman in the country…

When they release stuff like this through trusted media you just know they are terrified of fans actually expecting them to be really ambitious….

No chance that’s Levy. He 100% wants champions league qualification every season. We know that.

But yes, if true that’s a shocking admission and probably reflects why we are as a club where we are.

Like Ange said he’s not about the finances. He’s not stupid. Newcastle and United struggled in CL.

We will have a better season rotating our second string in the EL than trying to rotate our second string in the league and first team in the CL.

I think you’re guessing there Bernard.

No chance that’s Levy. He 100% wants champions league qualification every season. We know that.
I honestly don't think he's too bothered mate. Yes, of course he likes the money that goes with it. But that brings higher expectations among the fanbase demanding more investment in the team, which as we know is nauseating for him.
Hovering around the European places to keep the fans interested, with an occasional dalliance in the Champions League with the mirage of pretending to be ambitious.....that's his ideal scenario while he continues to grow our non-football Property and Entertainment portfolio of our back.

I honestly don't think he's too bothered mate. Yes, of course he likes the money that goes with it. But that brings higher expectations among the fanbase demanding more investment in the team, which as we know is nauseating for him.
Hovering around the European places to keep the fans interested, with an occasional dalliance in the Champions League with the mirage of pretending to be ambitious.....that's his ideal scenario while he continues to grow our non-football Property and Entertainment portfolio of our back.

Interesting, I thought you’d agree with me in particular. He wants us as a CL club to grow the value of it. He doesn’t want anything more than that though does he, because going for the title is expensive and that isn’t his modus operandi. Doing enough to get the riches of champions league qualification is enough for him and ENIC.

Levy needs to be saying that if a club the size of Tottenham Hotspur don't get to a domestic or European cup final next season then it's been a bad season. Pressure on the coach, pressure on the players
CL qualification means nothing except better financial figures to show off in April

Levy needs to be saying that if a club the size of Tottenham Hotspur don't get to a domestic or European cup final next season then it's been a bad season. Pressure on the coach, pressure on the players
CL qualification means nothing except better financial figures to show off in April
He should but wont because people will instantly be demading he gives the manager the proper calibre of players to achieve that and that will be expensive. Its a lot easier to just do enough, keep us steady in 4th to 7th, just about keeps interest up and the stadium full, get into Europe and round and round we go.

'Test themselves at the highest level'

Ice Cube What GIF

History says we struggle through the europa league and get knocked out in the 1st round or qtr when resting players for a league match.

It all feels so hopeless.

Interesting, I thought you’d agree with me in particular. He wants us as a CL club to grow the value of it. He doesn’t want anything more than that though does he, because going for the title is expensive and that isn’t his modus operandi. Doing enough to get the riches of champions league qualification is enough for him and ENIC.
I partly agree. He's obviously instructed all of his managers to prioritise top 4 over domestic trophy success. Nobody could doubt that. But at the same time, he's not prepared to invest what most clubs would to sustain top 4.

I think he's actually delighted that the way we've dropped like a stone recently has lowered the fans expectations to such a degree that most see simply qualifying for Europe's lesser competitions as progress and, therefore, success.
An unthinkable scenario just a few years back

Rather than heat up the pressure, last season's shit-fest and subsequent appointment of an unproven journeyman has actually brought him more time and, quite bizarrely, somehow got many fans back on his side.

As he stated at the infamous fans forum "We're playing good football again, that's all the fans want. We have our Tottenham back "

To whoops and cheers from those in attendance

Last edited:
He should but wont because people will instantly be demading he gives the manager the proper calibre of players to achieve that and that will be expensive. Its a lot easier to just do enough, keep us steady in 4th to 7th, just about keeps interest up and the stadium full, get into Europe and round and round we go.

And the manager will be demanding for expensive transfers. Set high targets then provide the high calibre signings.

We don’t play in that field. Having long term “project's” is a much easier model to follow.

We just about scraped into the top 20 transfers of last summer.

And I think Ange has already stated we don’t play at the top end of the market?? Expect more of the same.

I partly agree. He's obviously instructed all of his managers to prioritise top 4 over domestic trophy success. Nobody could doubt that. But at the same time, he's not prepared to invest what most clubs would to sustain top 4.

Agree
I think he's actually delighted that the way we've dropped like a stone recently has lowered the fans expectations to such a degree that most see simply qualifying for Europe's lesser competitions as progress and, therefore, success.
An unthinkable scenario just a few years back

I dont think so. You could see at the end of last season he was visibly upset at the Levy out chants. But that is only because I think he didnt believe the fans weren't all delighted with him.

Rather than heat up the pressure, last season's shit-fest and subsequent appointment of an unproven journeyman has actually brought him more time and, quite bizarrely, somehow got many fans back on his side.

As he stated at the infamous fans forum "We're playing good football again, that's all the fans want. We have our Tottenham back "

To whoops and cheers from those in attendance

The fans forum was interesting. Levy was going on about not appointing a "winning manager" yet Ange was sat there obviously miffed as he sees himself as that. It was at that point and looking at Ange's face that he had come here to win the league and he didnt agree with what Levy was saying. Levy massively misjudged Ange then....I wonder if he still has?

and that is why we've won nothing, don't want to play under pressure . It's easy here :contehandshead:

We often hear about managers, players and staff, be they here of having moved on, saying things to the media and the response is always “well, what else is he supposed to say?”

Ex player having a dig at the club? What else is he supposed to say?

Ex players complimenting the club? Must be looking for an ambassadorial role.

The present situation with Ange flies in the face of this. The general consensus of our fanbase seems to be that all Levy cares about is top four and doesn’t care about winning anything. Now his manager is telling everyone who will listen that he doesn’t give a flying shit about that.

Two things can now happen.

TFC have indeed crept into the mind of Levy and are correct about the top four thing, which leaves the only course of action to come next is us and Ange parting company.

Or, as I suspect, nobody on here has a clue what is or isn’t important to Levy and he has no issue with our manager saying what he has said and we will continue along the road we are on.

Let’s see where we are at the end of the season.

Back
Top Bottom