Levy out?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Levy Out?

• Yes

• No

• Not sure. On the fence

Results are only viewable after voting.
For the amount of money involved, it comes over as a bad decision and yet another stick for the media to beat us with.
If this had come into effect after the players had agreed to a pay cut, or after more clubs also decided to put their staff on furlough, or when the authorities had made the decision to void the season, then it might have not 'looked' so bad.
I usually think that Levy tries to do the best for the Club, but he has made mistakes - and this is probably the worst.

How long until the club requests priority usage of North London food banks ? Seeing as we are on the verge of insolvency after 3 weeks of no football

"Who says Spurs don't do transfers?
They've transferred part of their wage bill to the government

Screen-Shot-2020-04-01-at-09.16.25.jpg
Maybe other clubs have done this as well. Have other clubs done this as well?

What revenue streams are currently in place for this multi million pound business? Does Hayward know something nobody else on the planet knows? Is the 'lockdown' likely to end in the next couple of weeks or could it last at least 6 months?

The fact that the club has furloughed staff for all of April and June tells me enough about the liklihood of a ball being kicked in those months. All these journos will catch up eventually, none will apologise to Spurs though.

For the amount of money involved, it comes over as a bad decision and yet another stick for the media to beat us with.
If this had come into effect after the players had agreed to a pay cut, or after more clubs also decided to put their staff on furlough, or when the authorities had made the decision to void the season, then it might have not 'looked' so bad.
I usually think that Levy tries to do the best for the Club, but he has made mistakes - and this is probably the worst.

I think the club is using this to push the PFA into a corner. Or trying to anyway.

this just doesn't look/read well for the club, will the players take a pay cut ? I don't think so they will take a pay deferral ( that means we still have to pay them at sometime)

It's a dangerous game right now. Every club knows if they reduce their players wages and other clubs don't, they risk the players being agitated and leaving when the dust settled.
Unless a governing body tells ALL clubs, in ALL countries to do it, and do it at the same time, a lot will dither.

Oddly, it sounds as though Barcelona players have taken a hit.

the clubs can't reduce the players wages, they can ask the players to take a pay deferral (the players still get that money in the end) or ask them to take a pay cut,

Why are the players getting paid at all, they ain't paying football.

This decision smacks of greed and the premier football bubble of millionaires and billionaires and not living in the really world.

Players should take a pay cut first before the lower non playing staff. End of story.

I was a remain but now I'm a Levy out

It can't be judged now.

If in the next few months 10 PL clubs go bankrupt (along with say a further 40 from the other top 4 leagues in Europe and say 100 other clubs in the football pyramid) would you still be saying it's a bad decision?

The bad taste is the players and the Manager are still receiving their mega-money in full, but he did call them out on it and have urged them and their representatives to do something. I don't pretend to understand the complexities of player contracts but it's clear there are plentiful and are needed to be addressed away from the football club(?) but waiting for them in the vain hope that they might actually reach an agreement is a pitfall. For every day the club isn't receiving an income (and will not do so for what could be many, many months, maybe even over a year) it's burning cash, there is only a small amount of time left, every single day matters and has a material effect on the survival of the club.

The football writers and the likes of Boris and Trump seem to think that this would just blow over, that football clubs are "big" companies (they aren't!) and can pull off a miracle and survive as a going concern whilst not receiving a single penny of revenue now or now even when in the future. They seem to think that this furlough scheme is reserved solely for the "small" businesses. It's not, it's to protect every single PAYE employee in the country, whether they work for the corner shop or a billion-dollar car manufacturer!

Last edited:
How long until the club requests priority usage of North London food banks ? Seeing as we are on the verge of insolvency after 3 weeks of no football
When do you expect football to resume?

How many weeks do you think a football club can last without an income?

When it does resume how many of the sponsors' companies still remain in business? Those that are do you think they will be in a position to pump into the club £50m in shirt sponsorship? Buy corp hospitality packages? etc...

Do you think the TV deal will remain as big as it is now, given people will look to cancel subscriptions so they can pay for food and their advertising money's gone as that business either no longer exists or can't afford the airtime?

"Who says Spurs don't do transfers?
They've transferred part of their wage bill to the government

Screen-Shot-2020-04-01-at-09.16.25.jpg
Cannot believe you prefer the club to pay staff rather than keep money for transfers. The club are not a big business, British Airways is a big business, Virgin Atlantic is a big business and they are looking for Government aid. The villains are the PFA in refusing to let the players take a cut not the club in claiming Government aid. I cannot see crowds being allowed back in the ground for 6 months by which time all cash will have gone. The club are allowing the NHS and food distributors to use the stadium which has received scant praise. This is not the issue to critiscis Levy.

I still can’t get it, sending your loyal employees home make them survive on government handout and 20% reduction on their salaries. Those 550 have families, mortgages, bills to pay. They will get maximum around £500 a Week.
It becomes even worse when the players salaries is not affected and are on average £70,000 a Week.

Daniel Levy you are bringing shame to this club, just resign and go now,

I don’t think so,
But If so then absolutely the wrong way of doing it.
Such business does not do such after few weeks of no football, no excuses.

Football clubs essentially trade for 9/12 months on a normal year.

Other industries look set lose 1/4 turnover, football will lose 1/3 turnover. Best case scenario.

This is exactly the type of business that should be mitigating costs.

It can't be judged now.

If in the next few months 10 PL clubs go bankrupt (along with say a further 40 from the other top 4 leagues in Europe and say 100 other clubs in the football pyramid) would you still be saying it's a bad decision?

The bad taste is the players and the Manager are still receiving their mega-money in full, but he did call them out on it and have urged them and their representatives to do something. I don't pretend to understand the complexities of player contracts but it's clear there are plentiful and are needed to be addressed away from the football club(?) but waiting for them in the vain hope that they might actually reach an agreement is a pitfall. For every day the club isn't receiving an income (and will not do so for what could be many, many months, maybe even over a year) it's burning cash, there is only a small amount of time left, every single day matters and has a material effect on the survival of the club.

The football writers like Boris and Trump seem to think that this would just blow over, that football clubs are "big" companies (they aren't!) and can pull off a miracle and survive as a going concern whilst not receiving a single penny of revenue now or now even when in the future. They seem to think that this furlough scheme is reserved solely for the "small" businesses. It's not, it's to protect every single PAYE employee in the country, whether they work for the corner shop or a billion-dollar car manufacturer!
The fact is we are being judged now, because that's how the world works. Our reputation is tarnished because of the spin by the media, and that won't go away any time soon. I suppose my issue is with the timing, more than the action.

The fact is we are being judged now, because that's how the world works. Our reputation is tarnished because of the spin by the media, and that won't go away any time soon. I suppose my issue is with the timing, more than the action.
I don't think we should give a shit about perceived reputation as dictated by the media.

The timing is, of course, tough, but completely unavoidable. Last years accounts are always filled by 31st March. If we held off to furlough staff until tomorrow(?) would that have changed anything? We can't do anything thing about COVID19 and it's effects of shutting down football. And I don't think we can rely on the PMA & PFA to reach an agreement soon on player contracts and wages.

I still can’t get it, sending your loyal employees home make them survive on government handout and 20% reduction on their salaries. Those 550 have families, mortgages, bills to pay. They will get maximum around £500 a Week.
It becomes even worse when the players salaries is not affected and are on average £70,000 a Week.

Daniel Levy you are bringing shame to this club, just resign and go now,
Quite right. We should keep those staff on, pay then in full for a few months whilst we have no income and then sack them all when the money runs out.

I’m sure they’d all prefer an extra couple of hundred a month for a few months and then nothing at all than a small reduction with a job to go back to later.

Thank Christ I don’t have you as a boss

Back
Top Bottom