Liverpool away

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I know people are worried about Winks and CCV but Winks was our best player in pre-season and good against Gillingham and CCV has been talked up by Poch so maybe we will be in for a surprise.

I'm all for giving these sort of players a run out , I'd like to see Georges start too.
Unlike the Europa League, Poch has to go strong in the CL, so these guys aren't getting much of a look in.

I admire your optimism. I can see Poch making 9 or 10 changes for this - Klopp not so many.
I think he will rotate heavily too. Their squad players need game time as well & this is the competition PL teams seem to favour for using their squad members. I may be wholly wrong but with their gegenpress or whatever they call it, I do think Plopp will rest a lot of his first teamers. They have an away trip to Palace on Saturday & will want to keep their title challenge on track with a win there.

I'm all for giving these sort of players a run out , I'd like to see Georges start too.
Unlike the Europa League, Poch has to go strong in the CL, so these guys aren't getting much of a look in.

Exactly for me the Prem and CL have to be priority, the LC and if we get easy draws in the FA cup on the other hand should give a few players pushing for the first 11 an opportunity. Otherwise how are we going to know if Winks is the new Kane.

i was just wondering which of the three tournaments (efl,cl,pl) you all think we have the most realistic chance of winning.....i would have to go with the e.f.l ....i remember watching the final last year and thinking i wouldn't mind being involved...so i would like to see a strongish team ...hate to lose to lolerpiss at anytime

I think he will rotate heavily too. Their squad players need game time as well & this is the competition PL teams seem to favour for using their squad members. I may be wholly wrong but with their gegenpress or whatever they call it, I do think Plopp will rest a lot of his first teamers. They have an away trip to Palace on Saturday & will want to keep their title challenge on track with a win there.

Fair enough, but he must guard against losing at home to our reserves. That wouldn't go down very well in Dipperville. There's no pressure on us at all. If we lose it will all be forgotten by next Wednesday.

i was just wondering which of the three tournaments (efl,cl,pl) you all think we have the most realistic chance of winning.....i would have to go with the e.f.l ....i remember watching the final last year and thinking i wouldn't mind being involved...so i would like to see a strongish team ...hate to lose to lolerpiss at anytime

Any domestic cup is easiest as you have the luck of the draw, a certain number of games etc. CL would be the hardest just because of the competition, feel we have an even crack at the Prem if we can improve our attack.

Any domestic cup is easiest as you have the luck of the draw, a certain number of games etc. CL would be the hardest just because of the competition, feel we have an even crack at the Prem if we can improve our attack.
yeh i agree with what you are saying but which would you prefer the quarters of the c.l or a dometic cup

--------------------Vorm--------
Trippier-----CCV-----Wimmer---Davies
-------------Winks---Dier-----------
Lamela--------Onomah------N'Kouduo
-------------------Janssen------------

Poch looking to play Winks in the Wanyama role:

Most observers of Tottenham Hotspur expect Mauricio Pochettino to fully rotate his squad for tomorrow’s EFL Cup match against Liverpool. There’s precedent, after all – Spurs hammered Gillingham 5-0 while playing the likes of Cameron Carter-Vickers, Josh Onomah, Anton Wilkes, and Marcus Edwards. Also, Tottenham are in the midst of a brutal stretch of matches that includes another Champions League match against Bayer Leverkusen and a North London Derby.

Going to Anfield isn’t the same thing as hosting Gillingham, but Pochettino is likely to give the fringe members of his first team squad another chance to impress him against what could be a very strong Liverpool side. One player that is likely to get significant minutes tomorrow is Harry Winks, whom Pochettino recently said could play as a lone holding midfielder in Spurs’ new 4-1-4-1 formation, i.e. Victor Wanyama’s position.

“He can play alone, like we play today. In the last games we played Victor like a holding midfielder. [Winks] can play there because he’s strong enough to play in that position alone.

“I am happy with Harry Winks. I think he’s doing well. The pre-season was good, he showed very good skills. For me he’s a trusted player and, like against Gillingham, he played very well and maybe in the next few weeks he will have the opportunity to play again. It’s always important.

“He’s very young, he’s coming through the academy and he will be a very important player for us in the future.”

So Winks in the pivot isn’t at all crazy. Poch clearly likes him, and he worked quite well playing alongside fellow future Ballon d’Or winner Tom Carroll against Gillingham. In the small sample size of matches in which we’ve seen Winksy, he’s shown strength on the ball and good composure, as well as a willingness to put in a good tackle when needed that belies his age.

However, playing him as a defensive midfield in a 4-1-4-1 against Liverpool? That feels a bit crazier to me, if only because we haven’t seen him in that role yet. I like Winks a great deal and think he could very well be a starter in midfield in the next few years, but I’m not sure we’ve seen him except alongside a midfield partner that takes more of a defensive role. Against Gillingham, he and Carroll played in a true double-pivot, with both taking turns to push forward as tactics demanded.

Winksy in as the 1 in the 4-1-4-1 would presumably be less of a midfield destroyer a la Wanyama and more a single pivot, operating as a deep lying playmaker, linking defense to attack with solid passing. He’d need protection in front of him, so hopefully there’s a destroyer-type midfielder playing in front.

Pochettino sees his players every day in training and presumably has a much better grasp on what they are and aren’t capable of doing. Winksy as a deep lying playmaker in a 4-1-4-1 would be a really interesting experiment, and I’d be curious to see if it’s at all effective. However, if Jurgen Klopp puts out a strong, or even a strongish slightly rotated team tomorrow afternoon, it’ll a bit like throwing Harry to the wolves. That said, if he impresses tomorrow, Winks could find himself eventually becoming one of Victor Wanyama’s backups. I’m anxious to see what he can do.

Hi lads,

Aussie Spurs fan here currently in the UK and an attending my first away day tomorrow.

I'm looking for tips on maximising the away game experience, info on pregame pubs, etc. Would appreciate any advice or tips you can offer.

Cheers.

Ian4 said:
Hi lads,

Aussie Spurs fan here currently in the UK and an attending my first away day tomorrow.

I'm looking for tips on maximising the away game experience, info on pregame pubs, etc. Would appreciate any advice or tips you can offer.

Cheers.
I hope you have a, good day mate.

Hi lads,

Cheers.
Don't take a car anywhere near Liverpool.

If you are on the train & get there early, the Albert dock is quite nice. Pub there called the pumphouse is pleasant.
There's also the Shankly hotel close to Lime St station which is pretty weird. Football themed boutique hotel full of Shankly memorabilia. Interesting to look around whilst having a pint.
Everywhere around Anfield is a certified dump. Avoid until near kick off time if you can help it unless there is agreed meet up pub for Spurs.

Plopp making all the noises of playing the kids, which I find odd given they are not in Europe.

Danny Ings, remember him? Really pleased we made them pay £8m in comp to Burnley all because of our bid.

Back
Top Bottom