Liverpool VS Tottenham Hotspur 2019-10-27 16:30

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I still don't understand how it was a pen. So all you need is to manage to stick your leg in between the ball and defenders foot while defender is in motion to kick the ball?
Yeah that's how fouls work. One player kicking another players leg(s) on a different team instead of the ball is a foul. It's complicated I know. Don't even try to understand Rugby Union.

I am definitely no Poch apologist, usually accused of the opposite, but I don't think his tactics were wrong today, in fact I think in their conception they were pretty much bang on the money. 433, match them up in midfield, hopefully not allowing them to get pressure overloads and meaning you can play out of their pressure as well, and switch it to a 451 without the ball and stop their FB's marauding.

I don't necessarily think it was our plan to spend so much of the game shelling, we just scored so early it affected the dynamics and forced Liverpool to be more proactive and us to adopt that protect we we've got mentality. And that wouldn't have been an issue, that's how Liverpool beat us in the Cl final for example, but
the omnipresent problem, as ever with Poch, is that his selections didn't quite marry up with his tactical application, and we weren't quite up to the job.

We have Eriksen and particularly Son not doing very good jobs of stifling their flanks, Son was repeatedly forgetting his role, wandering infield and doing nothing useful defensively at all, allowing their CB's an easy out ball to TAA and though Eriksen was better positionally, he was weak when run at by the likes of Mane and Robertson.

Then there was a long phase from about the 15-20th minute when we just stopped putting any pressure on them at all. I was fine with us leaving their CB's alone and not getting sucked up and out - that's smart - but as soon as they get into our half we have to start applying pressure, but we just stood off and allowed them to pop the ball about and get it out wide and get dangerous balls into our box. Once we started doing this an equaliser was always likely.

Maybe if Lamela hadn't got injured late on he'd have started out there instead of Eriksen, but surely, even though there are footballing compromises with him, Moura would have made more sense, tactically, as the wide right forward. From a defensive point of view he'd have more energetically and aggressively covered that flank and offensively he'd have given us some pace on the counter.

Then we had Sissoko and Alli as the 8's and Winks as the 6. Defensively they all put a shift in but Winks (17) , Sissoko (18) and Alli (25) received the ball 60 times in 90 minutes between them. That's nine less than Fabinho on his own. Our three forwards received the ball 62 times - 2 more than our midfield.

Once again the lack of "football" from this midfield was a real issue. And I include Eriksen and Son ion that too.

This midfield just did not want the ball when the pressure was on and we needed to do something other than just shell it and hump it long. If we could have played just a bit of football, got out of our half and given them something else to think about, it would have helped, but that didn't happen until Ndombele came on Sissoko was moved up and Liverpool went 2-1 up and started shelling themselves.

Son missed an open goal and got himself offside needlessly when in good positions and found by clever passes by Ndombele. Rose with a great assist for their goal (he's been culpable in so many goals this season) guilds it by wasting a great chance at the end, spunking the ball over the bar.

When I first saw the pen I thought it was a foul on Aurier, he's in possession and about to play the ball and mane just leaps in front of his swinging leg, but it is Aurier so who fucking knows, maybe I'm wrong,

On the plus side, Ndombele and Lo Celso at least look like footballers who aren't scared of the football. Which is nice change for our midfield. If only we had a coach who would pick them, we might play some.
Rubbish analysis. Ever considered not polluting this forum with your constant waffling nonsense? You don't know shit about football, you're a FRAUD.

I’ve got a serious question. Poch was the one who pushed for the Ndomble signing, right? He was the one who leaned on Levy to spend all the money, right?

So why does Poch then start Eriksen over Ndomble? Isn’t that an admission of error?

they struggled to beat us with 2 useless mids, and 2 crap full backs, and they needed mane dubious staged penalty, which was always going to be given, aurier is just a liability back there, opposing teams know this.

First of all, losing to Liverpool at Anfield is not the end of the world. On another day, Son would have put away his chance and we could have gone on to win – we would all be hailing Poch a genius. But, that’s not how it played out.

I am perplexed as to why Poch deployed Eriksen as a Right Back. Personally I feel he did a good job considering and, he ran his socks off the entire game; getting up and down the field (haven’t seen the stats, but I recon he ran the most KMs of all our players). Cannot question his commitment; however he is NOT A RIGHT BACK!!!

Aurier and Rose are both liabilities. We know this, other teams know this…heck; I’m sure they know this.

Why did Poch allow Liverpool so much space on the wings. It was as if he was inviting Lpool to attack in their strongest manor. After the hammering we took in the first half, he made no adjustments at half time to prevent the bombardment. The goal was always coming. I am sure everyone watching knew that the change at half time should have been – Ndombele on for Winks. Push Sissoko out right to help Aurier and allow Eriksen back into midfield.

Yeah that's how fouls work. One player kicking another players leg(s) on a different team instead of the ball is a foul. It's complicated I know. Don't even try to understand Rugby Union.
Tell that to Harry. He has been working too hard for the league scoring title. He needs to just master that move of sticking his leg before the ball whenever defender kicks in the box. A pen or two like that every game would put him in 50 plus goals every season.

Tell that to Harry. He has been working too hard for the league scoring title. He needs to just master that move of sticking his leg before the ball whenever defender kicks in the box. A pen or two like that every game would put him in 50 plus goals every season.
You're right in a way, but Harry doesn't have the leg speed to do that unless fortunate. Lot's of players do it but I don't think many do it as well as Mane because he is both quick and strong and a fucking merc. Everyone else comes across as a diver.

[Edit]: Rude not to say that I think Harry actually wants to play football and score goals in the old fashioned way (not a merc) rather than cash in his tokens for getting assists.

You're right in a way, but Harry doesn't have the leg speed to do that unless fortunate. Lot's of players do it but I don't think many do it as well as Mane because he is both quick and strong and a fucking merc. Everyone else comes across as a diver.

Mane fouled Aurier there. Aurier was trying to clear the ball but Mane tripped him from behind and acted like falling from it. If that was really a pen the rule needs to be looked and corrected.

What the actual fuck are you on about? Going on and on about a conspiracy against us and calling everyone on here a troll? Are you an idiot?
You seem like a fake Spurs fan. Having witnessed one of the worst refereeing displays ever you refuse to believe the refs are biased. Mike Dean is not allowed to ref a Liverpool game but he is allowed to be 4th official for Liverpool. Where is the fairness?

If you are truly a Spurs fan then you are one of the worst fans in football....

You seem like a fake Spurs fan. Having witnessed one of the worst refereeing displays ever you refuse to believe the refs are biased. Mike Dean is not allowed to ref a Liverpool game but he is allowed to be 4th official for Liverpool. Where is the fairness?

If you are truly a Spurs fan then you are one of the worst fans in football....
Rather be a “fake spurs fan” than a fucking imbecile like yourself. What’s wrong with you?

Now knock it off before you embarrass yourself and this board any further.

I don't play video games but this feature sounds awesome and super fun!
it is try it, the games are so good now, its like the real thing, and lets you test your theorys.
all you do is get the same players as we have now, all their real skills and abilities are close but not perfect, set tactics, run patterns etc, and then watch the game play out against other teams set up, enjoy.

First of all, losing to Liverpool at Anfield is not the end of the world. On another day, Son would have put away his chance and we could have gone on to win – we would all be hailing Poch a genius. But, that’s not how it played out.

I am perplexed as to why Poch deployed Eriksen as a Right Back. Personally I feel he did a good job considering and, he ran his socks off the entire game; getting up and down the field (haven’t seen the stats, but I recon he ran the most KMs of all our players). Cannot question his commitment; however he is NOT A RIGHT BACK!!!

Aurier and Rose are both liabilities. We know this, other teams know this…heck; I’m sure they know this.

Why did Poch allow Liverpool so much space on the wings. It was as if he was inviting Lpool to attack in their strongest manor. After the hammering we took in the first half, he made no adjustments at half time to prevent the bombardment. The goal was always coming. I am sure everyone watching knew that the change at half time should have been – Ndombele on for Winks. Push Sissoko out right to help Aurier and allow Eriksen back into midfield.
So much to say. Mostly agree. Its not the end of the world and a shit load better than most of the games in the league this season and not the stuffing most were expecting when the team was announced. Kinda like Man City but with more chances but less points.

Eriksen didn't play right back. Poch just watched how ManUre played last week and tried to do the same (wide players cutting out the passing lines to the FBs), but we did it with a back four not a three which meant we were short in the midfield. That's fine but it begs the question of the Liverpool midfield - space is there lads - pass your way through. They couldn't because they lack a creative player. Lots of huff and puff (good huff and puff - Fabinho is fantastic box to box) but no genius like Coutinho. It worked. Front 3 stifled, FBs starved and a workhorse midfield left passing it to themselves. Good work Poch.

Then Klopp brought more men into his midfield, notably Firminho whenever the ball came near and our wide players had to tuck in to be more narrow. That allowed Robertson and TAA space and clear passing lanes. That's how the dippers dominate teams - by using those positions. Klopp didn't need his plan B because he read the analysis from the ManU game made damn sure he solved the problem when his FBs got starved of service. Thanks Fenway for your infinite budget super computer.

What is interesting is to see how other teams try to solve what is now obvious. Good work Ole

What is disappointing is that we didn't see our plan A after 1 min. How we changed after JK figured out how to fix his FB plans (we didn't) and that a more creative, forward thinking midfield (NDombele) who can break lines with his passing and running making the midfield turn and become immediately less effective.

Give me a like if you got this far. I just realised how much I've written. There's probably sex in there somewhere, I can't tell.

Not all that from the bin dippers but we couldn't come up with a plan B. They are well trained, well motivated and relentless with a very talented front 3.

We are behind. The league doesn't lie.

it is try it, the games are so good now, its like the real thing, and lets you test your theorys.
all you do is get the same players as we have now, all their real skills and abilities are close but not perfect, set tactics, run patterns etc, and then watch the game play out against other teams set up, enjoy.
What was the score today? Or are you still playing to get the right lineup?

I did that but was even worse than as a player so gave us. Came here instead. Life's a bitch.

i think i might try to get a bet on for poch to leave and go to manure, i think they have tapped him, levy might know this and be fucking with him, hence unhappy poch, and sabotaging team, who knows,

ive been siding with poch the whole way and I think he can get this team playing well, already signs we are coming back - but the team selection fucking needs to change, bloody drop eriksen that one really is unforgivable now - ndombele and le celso have to start, they've bedded into the team now - time to play our X11 every time now

i think i might try to get a bet on for poch to leave and go to manure, i think they have tapped him, levy might know this and be fucking with him, hence unhappy poch, and sabotaging team, who knows,

Lol. Remove that Tin Foil Hat!!

Poch is the same old Poch. Nothing has changed. He has always had problems with making changes during the game. His philosophy is to play a certain way; and if that doesn't work, persist.

We clearly couldn't be expected to keep up the pace of pressing we had in the first 25 minutes. We had to sit back and absorb pressure in the hope we could catch them on the break. This almost worked with Son nearly getting the 2nd.

Its a shame that we seemed to abandon the 'long balls' towards Lovren. Kane was winning all of these.

What was the score today? Or are you still playing to get the right lineup?

I did that but was even worse than as a player so gave us. Came here instead. Life's a bitch.
just testing theorys and like i said its fun, and sometimes it gives you pointers, its not going to be 100% accurate, but it is closeish.

Back
Top Bottom