Louis Van Gaal

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

:adegrin2:

Tim Sherwood critical of Frank De Boer after admission he wants to manage Spurs

Last Updated: 12/02/14 9:41am

Tim Sherwood has criticised Ajax boss Frank De Boer for his admission that he would like to manage Tottenham.

Sherwood, whose side are just three points off the top four following the 1-0 win over Everton on Sunday, understands why anyone would want to manage at White Hart Lane, but believes De Boer was wrong for publicly stating as much.

"It's natural I suppose, it's a big job, but I don't think I would ever tout myself about for a job when someone was already in the hot seat," he said.

"But if they want to do that, that's up to them. I don't know Frank. I'm not sure. I'm relaxed about it. But it wouldn't be something I would be doing.

"They just want to put themselves in the frame. Obviously they are not happy with the jobs they are doing if they are touting themselves for the Tottenham job."

Sherwood signed an 18-month contract when he replaced Andre Villas-Boas in December, but accepts that even finishing fourth may not be enough to see him keep his job beyond this summer.

"I am just going to do what I can," he added.

"I can assure everyone I will give 100 per cent to do my best for this football club. If that's not good enough, someone else comes in and gets the opportunity.

"I don't even know if top four gets me the job. You will have to ask the chairman but he doesn't give much away. You certainly wouldn't want to play poker against him.

"You need to just do as well as you can and hopefully someone thinks you are doing a good job. I don't think I could do a job if I wasn't enjoying it, even this one. If I wasn't enjoying it, I'd be gone. Listen, my life would be a lot easier if I wasn't manager of Tottenham, let me tell you that."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...boer-after-admission-he-wants-to-manage-spurs

:adegrin2:

Tim Sherwood critical of Frank De Boer after admission he wants to manage Spurs

Last Updated: 12/02/14 9:41am

Tim Sherwood has criticised Ajax boss Frank De Boer for his admission that he would like to manage Tottenham.

Sherwood, whose side are just three points off the top four following the 1-0 win over Everton on Sunday, understands why anyone would want to manage at White Hart Lane, but believes De Boer was wrong for publicly stating as much.

"It's natural I suppose, it's a big job, but I don't think I would ever tout myself about for a job when someone was already in the hot seat," he said.

"But if they want to do that, that's up to them. I don't know Frank. I'm not sure. I'm relaxed about it. But it wouldn't be something I would be doing.

"They just want to put themselves in the frame. Obviously they are not happy with the jobs they are doing if they are touting themselves for the Tottenham job."

Sherwood signed an 18-month contract when he replaced Andre Villas-Boas in December, but accepts that even finishing fourth may not be enough to see him keep his job beyond this summer.

"I am just going to do what I can," he added.

"I can assure everyone I will give 100 per cent to do my best for this football club. If that's not good enough, someone else comes in and gets the opportunity.

"I don't even know if top four gets me the job. You will have to ask the chairman but he doesn't give much away. You certainly wouldn't want to play poker against him.

"You need to just do as well as you can and hopefully someone thinks you are doing a good job. I don't think I could do a job if I wasn't enjoying it, even this one. If I wasn't enjoying it, I'd be gone. Listen, my life would be a lot easier if I wasn't manager of Tottenham, let me tell you that."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...boer-after-admission-he-wants-to-manage-spurs
Tempest in a teapot. Some random journalist asked FDB if he could see himself ever coaching a club like Liverpool or Spurs. What should he answer? No? Of course FDB has ambitions, more than anyone else in fact, but in no way did he try to affect Sherwoord's position or anything in that direction. FDB is the most sincere guy ever, so take it with a pinch of salt, something Tim should've done as well.

Why question what?

Though on that line of thinking, Im not someone who thinks results are all that matter. I believe much more in performances as a barometer of a teams quality/standard.
Questioning his comments, reading into his words and suggesting he knows his days are numbered? Maybe he does know that - maybe he is genuinely quite honest, modest and open (as I feel he has been in the press). As long as the results are going the right way, it needn't matter what he says. Look at Mourinho. He's been an absolute cock lately, some of the stuff he says is riddled with blatant lies, but no one gives a fuck because they are playing well!

Which is what you said - your barometer is based more on our performances. Which have been, overall, very good, right?

Questioning his comments, reading into his words and suggesting he knows his days are numbered? Maybe he does know that - maybe he is genuinely quite honest, modest and open (as I feel he has been in the press). As long as the results are going the right way, it needn't matter what he says. Look at Mourinho. He's been an absolute cock lately, some of the stuff he says is riddled with blatant lies, but no one gives a fuck because they are playing well!

I simply passed on the impression I took from his comments, no more than that. Im not trying to read into things and divine the future, just saying what I saw.

As it is, I quite like how he comes across (except when he talks tactics!) - he seems really down to earth and straight forward and I respect that.

In this interview he clearly has the awareness (and has done since he has been in) that he has no divine right to longevity and its results based.

Just sounded to me like there is an air of resignation to his comments, like he knows he wont be here next season.

Could just be me, of course

Which is what you said - your barometer is based more on our performances. Which have been, overall, very good, right?

Results have been excellent, but performances havent been particularly good at all for me.

Performaces for the most part have generally been good in the second half and poor in the first under Sherwood, infact most matches to be honest, even in the Man City game were we conceded only 1 in the first half and 4 in the second half the performace was actually much better in the second half even with 10 men (was a very weird game).

Seems as though he must be sending them out then bollocking them at half time, maybe needs to bollock them at the start. Still big improvement from that mess under AVB but may not be enough to save his skin come end of season.

Our performances are pretty much much what Id expect from a 7wk old managerial career.

Our results are way beyond what Id expect.

The biggest plus for me in the way TS has us playing, is that I can actually get excited during the games again, and while we have issues, we are at least respecting the spirit of the game, as well as the quality of our players, and showing attacking intent while scoring and generally winning our games.

Are people seriously shocked that TS is a bit tactically naive at times?

Are people seriously shocked that TS is a bit tactically naive at times?
So we're not allowed to raise concerns because he's an amateur?

We win = well done Tim, true legend of the game, self-made managerial colossus against the grain

We lose = no responsibility here whatsoever, only been 3 weeks into the job and is still learning, we should just be.

Last edited:
What dont you get about it?

Do you expect the same of Sherwood than you did of AVB, or would of LvG?

Then why do you want LvG?
See my edit

Every manager is responsible for his actions / selection / tactics and we should be able to question those irrespective of experience, etc.

Timmy most certainly does not get a free pass to play real life Football Manager with 200m worth of players

See my edit

Every manager is responsible for his actions / selection / tactics and we should be able to question those irrespective of experience, etc.

Timmy most certainly does not get a free pass to play real life Football Manager with 200m worth of players

I never said he gets a free pass.

I said that what is expected of him, shouldnt be judged in the same light as we would LvG or AVB

Back
Top Bottom