Maradona

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

My goodness how can you even compare Messi and Cristiano to anyone else after scoring 50 goals per season in the best league in the world. You talk about skills, this is a competition not a circus.

6 ballon d'Or he has and Cristiano 5. Those two are out of any league of the others. They're extraterrestrials.
Best league in the world? :baleshock:
do you even know why Maradona didn’t win it?

Pele and Diego Maradona – Never eligible to win the Ballon d’Or​

Dino Zoff & Pele

The Ballon d’Or was first handed out in 1956. At the time, the award was only given to the best European player. In 1995, it was changed to all nationalities, but the players had to be based at clubs in Europe. Due to the rules, Pele was never eligible for a Ballon d’Or trophy. However, even if he had been, journalists outside of South America may not have voted for him.

Diego Maradona also famously never won the award. Although he did play in Europe, he wasn’t plying his trade at a club on the continent in 1995. Maradona was a shell of his former self by then anyway. The Argentine would have won the award multiple times in the late 1980s had he been eligible as Napoli won two Serie Atitles and a UEFA Cup. He also won the 1986 World Cup with Argentina.

The modern Ballon d’Or didn’t come into existence until 2010. The award was combined with the FIFA Player of the Year allowing players from all nationalities playing in all corners of the globe to win the trophy. Of course, it is highly unlikely that anyone playing outside of Europe will win the trophy.

Sad day.

Cheated us, but let's be honest we'd have only choked in the semi...
You know who cheated us, the referee in CL final let’s not be precious Owen cheated the Argies when his legs decided to collapse I’ve never heard anyone in Argentina (where I spend a considerable amount of time) even mention that

I have never heard so much shit in my life , has messi led Argentina to a World Cup victory? Messi is only half as good as he is as he is protected by refs , he goes down at the slightest of Touches , Maradonna is playing football against defenders playing rugby, I suggest you go and educate yourself on what football was like in the 80s!
Exactly, I would love to have seen the likes of pele, best and maradona playing in the modern era.

All had the proverbial kicked out of them every time they played, unlike today's players who get a free kick if you touch their shirt.

Messi has never led his country to WC glory nor taken a team outside of the elite and made them Champions of their country. Twice.

In many ways his exploits for Napoli really show what a great player he was more so than '86.

Messi has been in his comfort zone at Barca all his career, surrounded by world class talents. Xavi AND Iniesta in the same team? No wonder Barca dominated as did Spain as well when those two were in their pomp.

Third CL title Messi won he had both Neymar and Suarez for company.

Messi is undoubtedly in the Top 5 players of all time but both Maradona and Pele are better.

The Messi fanboys should be gracious and accept this.

:pochsmirk:

Ah but Napoli were still up against giants like Milan and Juve so it's wasn't as if they had zero competition.

Oh and football fans remember who won CL finals but Sports fans remember World Cups.

The World Cup is still the pinnacle of the sport, please don't let Sky or BT tell you any different.

Win a CL and you're a great, win a WC though and your name passes into legend.

Even Hoddle as well, i think some people forget or just don’t know how physical the game was back then , with the rules now I bet most games would finish 5 a side with the rest being sent off for dangerous tackles.
There was also the state of the pitches in those days too..........

article-2644118-0050F98700000258-745_634x423.jpg

That grass isn't far off from Hackney Marshes in the summer nowadays, for us having a kick about it's great compared to the boggy winter waterlogged ones (he would also have played on back then) but this was the best of the best they could be back then, the grass is long and the ground was hard as concrete. This wasn't an issue for Terry Butcher lumping it into row Z but for a baller, dribbling around an entire team to score, is the mark of a genius.

obituary-argentine-soccer-genius-maradona-saw-heaven-and-hell_large

Note Shilton's arm, half of it deep in two inches long grass???

I have never heard so much shit in my life , has messi led Argentina to a World Cup victory? Messi is only half as good as he is as he is protected by refs , he goes down at the slightest of Touches , Maradonna is playing football against defenders playing rugby, I suggest you go and educate yourself on what football was like in the 80s!
He’s clearly never heard of Charlie Adam and a rainy Wednesday night up in Stoke.
Messi would cry in his panties.

Charlie Adam would run the midget outta town

Sorry, but you're so wrong. The only player, IMO, that is in Maradona's league is Pele. These two are in the stratosphere of footballers. They played in an era where footballs, tackles and pitches were heavy, and he made average teams world beaters.
Absolutely agree, Maradona was chopped brutally week in week out in a manner that modern footballers wouldn't even dream of. He would get hacked and if he was able, would not go down. The pitches at times were atrocious and not only prevented decent football but offered the opportunity of career ending injury. He was sublime and played for Napoli which were at the bottom of Serie A and he wasn't always surrounded by other stars.

Back
Top Bottom