Martin Jol

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Thought he was great, but not because of his management achievements etc. Just seems like a really likable guy and I enjoy listening to his interviews.

Aye, Spurs played some good football under Jol at times but we were constantly vulnerable at set pieces and his choice of player (Timothee Atouba at left back) was sometimes bemusing.

Honestly though, I think he's ideally suited to Fulham. Even if you get shafted in 50% of games, the 20-30% wins you'll get from Jol's type of football should keep you in the league. I could say the same about Martinez at Wigan but he didn't have the squad Jol has.

I loved his style , he was very good at buttering up the fans and loves a bit of naieve attacking football. Fond memories of that age , mainly because it felt like we were back amongst the big boys for the first time in ages.

oh and @ FPT FPT , whats your view on Ruiz - he used to play for my home team and have met him quite a few times , very likeable guy and a very good left foot. Do wonder if the EPL isnt a bit too phyiscal for him

I love Bryan Ruiz, you can see the technical ability he has, but yes, as you say, I don't think he can deal with the physical side which is a shame. He's Martin Jol's "big signing" though so will never be dropped. One of our headaches is how to fit him, Adel Taarabt, Dimitar Berbatov and seemingly Darren Bent into the same line up.

If he could adapt much like Dembele to a central midfield role then he would be perfect but Moussa was superbly strong both on and off the ball. His passing and dribbling is of a Premier League standard, his languid style without much upper body strength is not.

Aye, Spurs played some good football under Jol at times but we were constantly vulnerable at set pieces and his choice of player (Timothee Atouba at left back) was sometimes bemusing.

Honestly though, I think he's ideally suited to Fulham. Even if you get shafted in 50% of games, the 20-30% wins you'll get from Jol's type of football should keep you in the league. I could say the same about Martinez at Wigan but he didn't have the squad Jol has.

Our new owner has stated that Martin Jol will receive resources, but will also be accountable for how he uses them. Which is a positive for us as supporters as we know that Shahid Khan will back us in the transfer window, but another season like the last and it wouldn't surprise me if we let Martin Jol go at the end of his contract next summer.

But maybe Jol is better suited to handle 'star' players , Martinez did his thing with hungry low profile players, i am curious to see how he will handle higher maintenance players even if Everton has very few of them. Seems to be a work ethic focussed club.

Loved Jol "the man", awesome bloke and general personality. Was always proud he was our manager and represented the club.

his team generally played good stuff, was a primarily attacking side looking to play it on the deck. Also liked to have a bit of steel about them to balance it out. Tactically he was fine to a point, but there after severely limited. For example, we could smash dross teams all day long (save for the occasional upset) but his record against the top4 was frankly awful.

Biggest complaint for me was his tendency to try and sit on a lead, Ive lost count of the times we got in front, half hour left, and he is pulling off attacking players trying to protect a 1 goal advantage. It was inevitable that by 90 minutes we were camped in our own 18 yard box unable to get out and would conceed a few goals (with no means to reatliate as all our attacking players were then on the bench)

He was a cult hero at Tottenham. We love a good Frank Bruno character - good enough to get fights against the top boys, not good enough to avoid getting slapped by the top boys, but with a personality the crowd latches onto.

He was a cult hero at Tottenham. We love a good Frank Bruno character
Woah, steady on. What are you saying about Martin now?

COPYRIGHT%20UNKNOWN%20Peter%20Sutcliffe%20with%20Jimmy%20Savile%20and%20Frank%20Bruno-1430884

I'm not fussed, but it does annoy me when he doesn't wear a suit on match days, but I think that's a personal thing.
I like tracksuit managers. wish more would do it.

As for BMJ, loved him.
he was, by all accounts, a fucking horrible player, mind you

When I think of tracksuit managers I just think of
200px-TonyPulis.jpg

Not a good look.

I think more managers should take some style advise from Jogi Löw. He pulls off the smart casual look quite well.
thats a middle aged slaphead in a baseball cap. course that doesnt work. replace the shiny white trainers with a pair of football boots for starters, lose the puffy jacket and the cap.

Back
Top Bottom