Martin Jol

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Jol brought pride back to Spurs IMO, he took us from a club that was going nowhere fast for about a decade back into European football, and would have brought us to the Champions League if not for a PL conspiracy that made sure Woolwich got there instead despite them having their worst season for years at that point.

(And yes I fully believe that's what it was, it was way too convenient that almost our entire squad came down with illness right before a crucial game and a postponement is also conveniently denied).

Last edited:
You knew there was going to be goals when you went to a Spurs match under Jol , I loved him , as others have said he made it fun to watch Spurs again
Was he the greatest manager ? no but I don't know how any spurs fan cannot remember that time with a certain degree of fondness

Wasn't it Jol who asked the fourth official if it was against the rules of the game to think someone is a wanker? When the fourth official replied No, I dont think so, he said "Well, I think you're a wanker" :D

Love Martin Jol. He was the start of our progression and the club treated him badly. Glad he was invited to the farewell day and also that he agreed to come. I'm grateful for his part in our progression.

Loved him for the fact he put a bit of pride and resilience back into the team. We were exciting to watch and started to challenge top 6 and play in Europe.

His sacking by spurs was an absolute disgrace. Regardless of what was said or promised by whom behind the scenes, the club acted disgracefully, a match was being played and most people knew he would gone that night.

Jol has remained classy since then and always speaks highly of the team and the WHL crowd at the time.

Jol "built our foundations". What a load of bollocks!

Don't get me wrong, I love the big man and he improved us as a team and got us into Europe in back to back seasons. He put a smile back on our faces. It's right to say that under him our fortunes turned, it's right to acknowledge this as the point in which Tottenham's fortunes had changed for the better but to lay claim that he laid the "foundations" of this side is absolute nonsense.

What foundations, what element of that Jol team is remotely close to this one? Jol's team was still stacked with unprofessional players, there wasn't a McDonalds drive-in in North London that didn't have Spurs player peering through blacked out windows of their Range Rovers shovelling Big Mac's down their cake holes, or a night club that didn't have a Spurs player falling out of at 3am. It's like saying Mark Huges laid the foundations for Guardiola's Citeh.

Love Jol, one of my favourite managers, prefer him to Rednapp, a far more appealing and honest character.
More than building foundations it was the way it felt good to be a Spurs man for the first time in ages, he restored some pride after years of fucking shit. If I look back to when our fortunes started to change it would be with Big Martin.

I wonder whether it was a turning point for Levy too. The way he sacked MJ was appalling, possibly a personal low point in Levy's tenure (well that and the flirting with Stratford), but perhaps afterwards he began on his own gradual path to realising we needed to do things differently...

Martin Jol, Martin Jol, Martin Martin Jol. He's got no hair but we don't care, Martin Martin Jol.
I loved him and thought the way we got rid was a real "shoot yourself in the foot" moment. I will always have a soft spot for him, thought the way he conducted himself at Bill Nick's memorial service was so dignified and respectful. A true gentleman and would always wish him well in life.

Back
Top Bottom