Match Thread: S.S. Lazio - Europa League

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

sammyspurs said:
Didnt they mention plans to make the UEFA better last year?

Home and away group stages and direct qualification into group stages based on league placing.

I think the CL teams filtering down into the Europa League is dumb. If ur in one comp u shouldn't get a parachute tournament to end up in - if ur out of europe ur out of europe. For the teams that are going well in the Europa it's like moving the goalposts if u suddenly see a couple of big boys dumped into the comp.

MKYid said:
It amazes me how UEFA/FIFA can't understand why the Europa is considered a 'lesser' competition to the CL, yet they allow teams knocked out of the CL in (by doing so, essentially stating 'this is a secondary competition')! I personally think, if UEFA want the Europa league taken more seriously, a Champions League place should be on offer for the winners.

have always thought this. I really can't understand why it's not the case

MKYid said:
It amazes me how UEFA/FIFA can't understand why the Europa is considered a 'lesser' competition to the CL, yet they allow teams knocked out of the CL in (by doing so, essentially stating 'this is a secondary competition')! I personally think, if UEFA want the Europa league taken more seriously, a Champions League place should be on offer for the winners.
Completely this! only, I can't see how they're gonna work in more games to the tourney, the qualifying knockouts are packed, and if you're gonna bring one extra team into the group stages you kinda have to change the way the group system works... Either increase or decrease group size, or even make an entirely new group, but that leaves winner and runner-up of that group with opponents for the first knockout and so on... getting a headache already! :avbcringe:

The way I see it, the offer of a CL place should not be given to the winners of the Europa League, but instead to the winners of the UEFA Super Cup. This would make this fixture massively competitive, especially if the winners of the CL were not already entitled to an automatic place (A la Chelsea from last season). The winner would get an automatic place in the group stage draw. If this spot was not taken by either of these teams it could get handed down via the league of the CL winner. Simple :avblol:

zin said:
sammyspurs said:
Didnt they mention plans to make the UEFA better last year?

Home and away group stages and direct qualification into group stages based on league placing.

Here's some quotes:

As president of Uefa it is my duty to give thought to the future of the different competitions," Platini said at Uefa's headquarters in Nyon, Switzerland.

"We have begun to consider this at an administrative level, but not at a political one."

Platini said the outcome was fully open.

"That we are given this some consideration does not mean that something will really change," he said.

"But of course we ask ourselves, what is better for the Europa League, what is better for the Champions League? It's clear that we have to upgrade the Europa League.”

What exactly is that supposed to mean?

What they need to do is fuck the league bit off and make it a two leg knockout. Schedule it for Wednesday's when there are no CL fixtures so domestic games don't get shunted to Sundays and the competition gets full attention. Don't let CL drop outs in and give the winners a CL place. Sorted

S.L.R said:
Something along the lines of "we're trying to figure out ways of making more money from the competition"
nail.

head.

Basically they would prefer the sponsors to be Mercedes rather than Seat.

SadlerTHFC said:
SSN say Adebayor is injured for this game :jenaswtf:

If so, then ...

[formation=4-2-3-1 GK=Lloris D=Naughton Vertonghen Caulker Walker DM=Livermore Huddlestone M=Siggs AM=Lennon . Townsend S=Dempsey]First XI[/formation]

Marshy said:
I think the CL teams filtering down into the Europa League is dumb. If ur in one comp u shouldn't get a parachute tournament to end up in - if ur out of europe ur out of europe. For the teams that are going well in the Europa it's like moving the goalposts if u suddenly see a couple of big boys dumped into the comp.

I agree totally, especially when you consider there are two additional routes for CL-dropouts: one at the play-off stage and another at the group stage.

It should be "when you're out, you're out".

Back
Top Bottom