Match Thread: S.S. Lazio - Europa League

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Flannerz said:
What they need to do is fuck the league bit off and make it a two leg knockout. Schedule it for Wednesday's when there are no CL fixtures so domestic games don't get shunted to Sundays and the competition gets full attention. Don't let CL drop outs in and give the winners a CL place. Sorted

Sounds good to me

If Fulham can get to the final, so can we COYS!
0404_1984_g_874206t.jpg

Thoughts inevitably turned to Paul Gascoigne when Tottenham were drawn in the same group as Lazio in the Europa League.

It's two decades since his £5.5m move from the old First Division to Serie A, a protracted transfer which had been delayed and needed to be re-negotiated following the ruptured cruciate ligament he suffered in the 1991 FA Cup final against Nottingham Forest.

That he didn't become for Lazio what Diego Maradona had been for Napoli in the late 1980s and early 1990s - a hope expressed by former president Sergio Cragnotti following his signing - didn't matter.

He was adored by the supporters in the Curva Nord, the section of the Stadio Olimpico where the Lazio diehards reside.

They thought of Gascoigne as one of them on the pitch. And at a club where triumphing in the derby with Roma is often considered of greater importance than conquering the league, his equalising goal in that fixture, a header from a Beppe Signori free-kick, was enough, together with strikes in other important games against Serie A's big clubs and a wonder goal against Pescara, to earn instant iconic status.

Practical jokes, such as the time he brought a dead snake to training and put it into an unknowing Roberto Di Matteo's pocket certainly helped his legend. "I've never seen someone jump so high," he said.

The cult of Gascoigne has endured at Lazio long after he left the club in 1995 to join Glasgow Rangers.

"He is a mythical figure for Lazio fans and very popular in Italy," said Lazio general manager Maurizio Manzini. "I remember the Atalanta ultras who had a reputation for being really tough. They opened an enormous banner with a picture of a huge bottle of beer saying: 'This is for you Gazza'.

"There is always a corner of Tottenham in our hearts. I hope we will have the chance to see him in London and we will invite him to the match in Rome."

Meanwhile, his former club, the Aquile - or Eagles - as Lazio are known in Italy, have made a flying start to the season.

A hat-trick of victories from their opening three games in Serie A is a feat they haven't achieved since the 1974-75 campaign when Lazio, fired by the late Giorgio Chinaglia, began the defence of their first ever Serie A title under legendary coach Tommaso Maestrelli.

Few expected great things of Lazio ahead of the new season, which in some respects is strange considering they have been consistently in the upper echelons of Serie A for the last two years.

If it weren't for the overachievement of Udinese in the same period, they'd be talking about Lazio as the league's revelation. Recognition has been lacking.

In 2010-11, Lazio finished fifth, missing out on qualification for the Champions League preliminaries on goal difference.

Then in 2011-12, they improved again, ending the season in fourth.

In previous years it would have been good enough for entry into the Champions League preliminaries but, since the Bundesliga had overtaken Serie A in the Uefa co-efficient rankings and were awarded an extra place in the competition at their expense, Lazio have had to make do with the Europa League.

Still, why was there not much faith in their chances this season?

First, a veteran squad wasn't greatly rejuvenated or reinforced. The suspicion remained that, had Lazio not let Djibril Cisse and Giuseppe Sculli go to QPR and Genoa in the new year, they'd have been able to cope with an injury to star striker Miroslav Klose towards the end of last season, an injury that cost the club a higher finish.

When the issue wasn't addressed in the summer, concern that Lazio were dependent on an ageing but world-class forward remained.

Second, finally accepting one of several of coach Edy Reja's offers to resign, Lazio appointed Vladimir Petkovic, a relatively unknown quantity outside of Switzerland, the country where he'd worked most, without any experience of Serie A or any other major league in Europe for that matter.

Tottenham supporters, however, will remember Petkovic.

He was the coach of the Young Boys Bern side that gave Spurs a real fright in the Champions League preliminaries in 2010. They won the first leg at the Wankdorf 3-2 before capitulating 4-0 at White Hart Lane.

Petkovic is an interesting character. Born in Bosnia, he left Sarajevo aged 17 to play in Switzerland. After a modest career, not sure what direction he wanted to take, Petkovic worked for Caritas, a Catholic relief, development and social service organisation.

Towards the end of his time in the job, he coached second division Bellinzona, gaining promotion and reaching the Swiss cup final where they lost to Basle.

But that aside, what, asked a sceptical Italian press corps, had Petkovic done to deserve a place on the Lazio bench and why had he been preferred to the front-running candidate Gianfranco Zola?

He hadn't won any major honours in Switzerland, after all, and had been sacked at Samsunspor in Turkey. "We chose Petkovic because of other qualities," Lazio president Claudio Lotito explained. "He is a polyglot."

Indeed he is. Petkovic speaks eight languages, a fact that has certainly helped his adaptation, the communication of his ideas and management of the dressing room.

His teams tend to play several formations too. Petkovic's influences are many and they include the manager of Tottenham's North London neighbours.

"I've watched how others coach," he told Il Corriere dello Sport. "Certainly I liked the ideas that Arsene Wenger had with Woolwich a lot. I have never copied, mixing things and ideas. I tried to steal everything that I found to be good from other coaches in order to develop my own ideas. For example, I have always liked the solidity of Fabio Capello."

So far Petkovic has proven to be an inspired choice of manager by Lazio. With more or less the same team as his predecessor, he has already given the impression that he has taken them on a level.

Tottenham should be wary.

AVB Mentioned Steven Caulker as a young player with a bright future in the pre match press conference, so hopefully he'll get a start.

This is a perfect game to start our European tour which will hopefully take us all the way to the Ajax Arena next May :gazza:

Personally I am much happier we are playing Lazio in the Europa League than if it were FC Clunge or Mentalist *insert unpronounceable Russian/Eastern European town nobody has ever heard of here*

It's a big fixture and shows that there's still some prestige in the Europa League.

Oh yeah, and we're going to smash 'em. :gazza2:

Gooner mug smirked at me today "are you looking forward to Thursday?" Yes I am cuntface, it's Tottenham Hotspur vs SS Lazio the fucking Paul Gascoigne derby.

philyjc said:
AVB Mentioned Steven Caulker as a young player with a bright future in the pre match press conference, so hopefully he'll get a start.

I don't reckon he'll start, but Gallas may come off early and Caulker replace him.

I don't think we'll see massive changes in personnel, maybe one or two changes from the Reading game.

i'm horribly torn, between going to this game or going to meet a girl. now meeting a girl could mean :ledleylick:. but going to the game could mean :levylol: :baelol: :ade: :dawson: :defoe2: :kaboullol: :balelol: :vert: :akabusi: :avblol: however it could also mean :gomes: :bentley: :dawsonwtf: :defoe: :klinsmann: :bmj: :bale2: :jenaswtf: :avbshock:

Hegarz said:
Haven't been this excited for a Europa league match since well.. ever :adelol:

Come on you Spurs :avbdamn:

Likewise! Reading this article - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... y-bad.html (I know, Daily Fail) reminded me of the heady days of 2006 & :bmj: when we qualified for Europe via our league placing for the first time since football began ever (i.e. PL history). I loved the Europa games the following few seasons, some cracking atmospheres - even though we went 2 down inside 8 minutes (!) and utlimately lost the tie, the Q/final against Sevilla is one of my favourite nights at WHL. Felt like a "proper" tottenham night. Hopefully having VB embrace the competition will lead to more of these :avbdamn:

I'm torn really...

I'd love to see us win European silverware - it would be a top achievement for the team in AVBs first year for sure...

I can't help but be nervous about at what the impact on our PL campaign a long run in the EL may be. It has been discussed that a CL place isn't up for grabs and to get 4th and win the EL is a really tall order.

That said, I want a strong team out tomorrow. We still have some established first team players to come in, so we can rotate a little without significantly weakening the side. We need to get a few good results under our belts and I certainly don't think we can afford to take Lazio lightly.

:avbwtf:

Hegarz said:
Haven't been this excited for a Europa league match since well.. ever :adelol:

Come on you Spurs :avbdamn:

Probably since Sevilla - I won't be making the mistake of getting stuck in the Park Lane for the first 10 minutes of the match this time though!

Lazio have brought pretty much the strongest squad they can, not to say their XI will be, but I think it could be an absolute belter tonight. Pwoper European football :ledleylick:

Its great to see AVB taking Europa League seriously. I don't buy into the fact that players burn out and league position has to be sacrificed to win it. A run to the finals of EL has only 2 more matches than the CL and the teams playing in CL are supposed to be going for the title(or top 4 at the minimum), yet playing in Europa League somehow means you are going to start losing in the league?

Also, first time since AVB came in, a daily fail article about us that didn't make me want to pull my hair out.

Cripps14 said:
I think I may still be dreaming, because I just read that Daily Fail article and thought they actually made a good point. :baeshock:

It's OK, divert yourself to their article saying that Lloris will be given his debut tonight "at last" and all will be right again with the world...

Right lads, should I stick with the tried and tested away kit for tonight? (wore it against reading and we won) Or do I wear my untried and untested home kit with King on the back? I don't wanna bring any bad luck!

Back
Top Bottom