Match thread: Tottenham vs Swansea (Home)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hugo bossed it today. Earned himself a modeling gig...

HUGOBOSS2_zpsce43e9d0.png

HUGOBOSS_zps4303c3e4.png

HUGOBOSS3_zpsd7838a0a.png

Arse fans fighting each other in the crowd
Chelsea fans booing their manager openly
Liverpool in the bottom half of the league

They are having a mare.

We are plodding, not flying
Lets not forget how dominant chelski was at the beginning of the season and we are now tied on points with them for third. Sure we should have a few more points under our belt at this point, but think about it this way, we're tied on points for third place and people are this dissatisfied. When was the last time this happened?

And the best part, this is only our first season with AVB and we have been missing some key players the whole time. He is still implementing his system and will hopefully add more quality players in January (Moutinho). And Parker, BAE, Kaboul, and Bale should all be back very soon and we will finally be able to play our best 11. Our future looks very bright guys.

We are plodding, not flying

We are 17 games into a new manager.

Into a new system.

We are 4th. On balance, thats really not to bad at all.

I cant say I think we are playing brilliantly at the moment. I can say I think we are brilliant in spells.

I can also say that what I have seen to date leads me to believe things can only get better (try reading that without that awful labour conference tune in your head lol)

Finally I can say anyone who expected greater improvement already really doesnt have a grasp on what is happening. We are going through a period of substantial change, it was always going to be a 1 step back 2 step forward kind of thing.

We go into January in touch with CL Qualification, this years target, thats probably better than I expected (though about what I hoped) earlier in the season. A couple of key moves in Jan, Ekotto and Kaboul back, the team showing signs of gelling into the new form - Im very hopeful things click soon and we push on for the second half of the season really strongly.

We were great today. Swansea are a very good side, we completely stopped them doing what they do, play, they didn't have a single shot on target. My only negative was with Defoe and Adebayor, I expect them to cause defences problems and for me both lacked movement.

I am DEEPLY concerned at our fucking appauling support. Hardly a sound all game, only started to sign once we scored, even then nothing to put the hairs on your neck to attention. WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON?!!!! Why are we not signing?

Today's formation seemed very confusing for a start. Dempsey, Adebayor, and Lennon could be anywhere on the pitch at any given time, and it looked for a long while like Adebayor was our LM, and Dempsey was our CAM. In the second half, it seemed like Lennon was providing our width from both sides!

Here are the chalkboards. Names withheld to protect the innocent, though you can probably guess who is who.

xbE4P.png

Thing is, I think that kind of massive overlapping helped us break down the bus-parking. Sandro and Dembélé were absolutely dominating the middle of the pitch, letting these three swap around their roles and try to find gaps / make triangles. And they got shots off. All three of them. And when they didn't they fed Defoe, who had an uncharacteristically uneventful day in front of the goalmouth.

So I really don't think Adebayor was a passenger today. Nor do I think Dempsey played badly. They were both very involved in an offense that had its work cut out for it because, simply put, Swansea had a plan, and they stuck to it very, very well (close down, try to sneak a break via Michu).

Back
Top Bottom