Matt Doherty

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You can believe whatever you like, but he's been behind Coleman for 3 Ireland managers in a row.

Something's lost in translation here.... Coleman's been a great player & captain for club & country.

You think being behind him in the pecking order is an indictment of Doherty's "level"; suggesting he's shit cos he can't 'even' get in a team like Ireland.

Fuck off. I'm in this thread to say that Doherty is doing fine and that we're better off this season having him.

......By mocking his level and posting pro-Aurier shit???

All too transparent.

Per Wikipedia (I know, I know, you forgot to add those all cup competitions -- the exact point I'm making.):

Aurier: 391 career appearances
Doherty: 360 career appearances

Fuck wiki; I used these:

Something's lost in translation here.... Coleman's been a great player & captain for club & country.

You think being behind him in the pecking order is an indictment of Doherty's "level"; suggesting he's shit cos he can't 'even' get in a team like Ireland.

......By mocking his level and posting pro-Aurier shit???

All too transparent.
"Doherty is doing fine. We're 6-1-1 with +13 GD in matches he's started this season."

Stating facts is now "mocking someone's level?"

Seamus Coleman is a fine player who has played in 0 (zero) European club cup matches over his career, whom at his peak (2016, when 27 years-old), was valued at £17 Million.
Doherty has been behind him for Ireland until this past year or two.

Bringing up Aurier as a comparison in this context is completely reasonable. Aurier has played 3x more international matches than Doherty over the past several seasons. That may be "pro-Aurier shit", but it's a fact.
Fuck wiki; I used these:

That's fine. FYI, Transfermarkt includes >30 Doherty appearances in the reserve league, PL2 and U-21s.

Comparable overall appearances, Aurier is almost a year younger (also hasn't had any significant injuries) and is/has been Ivory Coast's captain.

We are much stronger this season with Doherty than we were without him last season.

"Doherty is doing fine. We're 6-1-1 with +13 GD in matches he's started this season."

Stating facts is now "mocking someone's level?"

Again, that's not what I responded to..... Go back and read my original reply.

This is boring and going nowhere.

The fact you are trying to slime your way out of your original comment by diverting attention away from it speaks volumes.

Given the chance I would prefer if the Club made a move for the promising young right back at Southampton,Kyle Walker Peters.
He is doing great there and could very possibly handle the step up to a bigger club.
COYS!!!

Again, that's not what I responded to..... Go back and read my original reply.

This is boring and going nowhere.

The fact you are trying to slime your way out of your original comment by diverting attention away from it speaks volumes.
Fuck off then.

My original post is not negative towards Doherty, nor are any of my replies. Slime or no slime.

Your original reply claims "Coleman is quality" and that a player doesn't "get transferred to a bigger international team." OK.....

You're somehow able to grasp a sense of Coleman's level, but not Doherty's.

IMO, Aurier is a better player (RB and RWB) than Doherty, but that doesn't mean that Doherty's signing hasn't been a positive for us.

okay I watched this bloke for Wolves I watched him for us....Aurier is actually the better player. This is not admittedly saying much but I think its a fact. Here's an idea perhaps we could try not signing right backs that love Woolwich? Worth a try? Any one know one that hates them...

This’ll be one of those threads that, in a few months, folk will post “how funny are the first few dozen pages of this thread?”.

He’s doing just fine right now and will get better as he settles into the formation and squad.

okay I watched this bloke for Wolves I watched him for us....Aurier is actually the better player. This is not admittedly saying much but I think its a fact. Here's an idea perhaps we could try not signing right backs that love Woolwich? Worth a try? Any one know one that hates them...

Aurier has it in him to be more defensively secure than Doherty, but isn't. They're both flawed players. Doherty can be pretty hopeless defending against tricky wing players. Aurier is prone to lots of things we don't need to rehash here. Both have plenty of good attributes as well. We'll see lots of Doherty goal contributions as the team get a read on his smart attacking runs. Still a position we need to strengthen with an undisputed first choice player next Summer, I think. (Or at the very least, a young player with big potential.)

I honestly don’t think he’s been that bad. I do think that he was bought to play the Aurier attacking fullback position but since we signed Regullion that’s been put to bed. If he gets injured and Davies plays more I suspect we’ll return to that lopsided formation (I wasn’t really a fan of it FWIW)

I think it’s been a nervy start for him. He doesn’t have as much free roaming as he did at Wolves which was full on. He’s probably been asked to be more disciplined and I’ve noticed in the games he plays, regardless who’s our LB, that we seem to go down the left flank. Give him a little while to get used to the system.

Has Doherty been good enough for us since he joined? No. Absolutely not. One of our worse players so far this season. If not the worst.

Is it because of the system and tactics that are very different to that of Nuno's? Partly.

Do I believe he will get better once he's more used to it all? Yes.

Keep working hard and just breathe, Matty lad!

He likely isn't at the level we would like for our supposed ambitions but he is a clear upgrade over Aurier so at least that is an improvement.

I think the bigger issue is that he is close to 30 and we have zero other options so we are likely looking for another RB in the summer or being fine with it being a weak position for us.

Hasn't done much wrong but hasn't impressed neither.

I wouldn't buy into 'he's not a right back' because even at his best, he's not a good enough player for us to completely change our system for. He going to have to continuing playing in a back 4 and improve from there, got to give him a full season to judge.

Both are equally poor defensively, I would say neither are great at crossing the ball, both are out of position too often.

But Doherty does not have the dumb mistakes that Aurier does, does not turn off like Aurier does and is much better at getting involved in the play around the opposition box.

Its not much but it is a clear upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom