Matt Doherty

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Both are equally poor defensively, I would say neither are great at crossing the ball, both are out of position too often.

But Doherty does not have the dumb mistakes that Aurier does, does not turn off like Aurier does and is much better at getting involved in the play around the opposition box.

Its not much but it is a clear upgrade.
Check the video I posted just below your post. That would have been his 3rd penalty giveaway already this season (although 1 would have been undeserved) and a stupid grabby foul in a similar position as Aurier's against westham.

Check the video I posted just below your post. That would have been his 3rd penalty giveaway already this season (although 1 would have been undeserved) and a stupid grabby foul in a similar position as Aurier's against westham.

I see the video, not a penalty at all so no it wouldn't have been the 3rd penalty given away this season.

They are remarkably similar players with Aurier quicker and a better athlete. He is not an upgrade and we desperatly need a better right back. I'm not bagging Jose because he wasn't as I understand it his first choice for the position.

I previously backed KWP to the hilt as 'one of our own', but only time will tell if that's true.

For our RB rotation it's the here and now that matters and the kid had been starved of game-time for long enough (whilst MD was brought in to potentially be #1).

I responded to the suggestion that Doherty was a "downgrade" on KWP..... I disagree with that.
Oh no I wouldn't say a downgrade either but the potential upside for KWP is pretty big when you consider his age and attitude. Defenders don't tend to reach defensive maturity until their mid 20s and ironically someone like Jose may have been the one to improve him defensively.

I agree we handled him and his development badly, earlier loans really should've been pursued, it probably would've saved us buying Doherty and having a good right back for the next 10 years.

Phew.... Sanity in tact still then. :dempsey:
5uQALx1.gif

Hasn't loooked good when we've played it under Jose so far....
532 suits a certain line up, but we don't look good playing it.

I actually wouldn't mind us trying it out in the EL just to see how it can benefit Doherty and Reguilon as well as seeing how the likes of GLC and Ndombele adapt.

Keeps Son and Kane central too which allows Kane to drop deeper.

Well, would you say that we looked good in last 2 games playing 4-3-3 :D ??
I felt that Brighton had way too much room on their hands as our midfield was not efficient enough breaking down their attacks. Which is partly understandable, giving 1/3 of it was "runnin-aound-pointing-my-fingers" Sissoko, and Ndombele picked up very early yellow...

Yea, unfortunately we can't do 3 cb experiment in EL given that Rodon is not in squad, Tanganga is injured and other players workload has to be managed as well.

As far as the EL goes, the last thing we can afford is to start fielding 3 CBs in each game... At least not til after xmas (also means Reg gets no rest form week to week).

.....I also doubt Jose is 'dreaming' of a GLC/TN 2xMF.

GLC & Ndombele midfield duo, I agree would raise some questionmarks. But given how little they have played together, it would be much more likely that with 2 CMs it would be one or another + Hjojberg.

If both will be fit, I have no issue with 4-3-3 as well ;)

Both are equally poor defensively, I would say neither are great at crossing the ball, both are out of position too often.

But Doherty does not have the dumb mistakes that Aurier does, does not turn off like Aurier does and is much better at getting involved in the play around the opposition box.

Its not much but it is a clear upgrade.
Agree MD offers a bit more going forward. The rest of your post is cobblers tbh.

Quiet thread this. Maybe because he was pretty decent tonight. A few good attacking runs, winning a couple of headers on the corner of the oppo box, setting up a good chance in the second half. And defensively good, except one hugely out of position issue I did catch in the second half.

Hopefully starting to settle. Definitely better when Davies is on the other side, so Doherty can get forward more.

Lovely ball for the winning goal.

First thing I've seen him do in a Spurs shirt that was useful - fair play. Keep it up Matt.

Back
Top Bottom