Matt Doherty

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

One more thing that I believe bears mentioning is that when Aurier has performed at his best is when he has had Sissoko no more than ten feet away from him. Pretty much having two guys do one guys job.

Now Sissoko seems to have been banished to the bench, rightly so, that side has less protection. Let’s see how Aurier does with the “defensive support” of Bale.

Doherty obviously isn’t a shit player. He was very good for Wolves. We just aren’t set up to play to his strengths.

I know he has limitations defensively, not a good look for a defender to be fair, but he’s strong in an attacking sense.

The difference was when he was at Wolves, he was able to get forward without thinking “what the fuck is going to happen back there if I’m up the field?”. I really believe a lot of what we’ve seen from him is due to him always having to think too much about the defensive fuck up that is bound to come from our central defence if he is attacking.

Add a strong CB or two in the summer and I think we’ll see the best of him next season.
That is very very kind

I think that’s in your nature .... but that’s a real stretch

Alasdair Gold about Doherty - minute 17:20 -, I really recommend it:

Yeah, it's fair to say I was pretty harsh on him for that cross, but having watched it over several times now, he's covering a lot of ground and does actually try to block it with his shoulder as he jumps into the cross. He could have done better, but it wasn't as pathetic as I said at the time.

I'm not saying he hasn't been pants, but that goal wasn't clearly his fault, as I thought at the time.

I'm normally one to give players time to prove themselves and settle, but honestly this bloke is just embarrassing. How he used to be a good player at Wolves I have no idea because he really is shite in almost every department required. Not even Championship standard at this point.

Doherty was not good today but I feel for him, Bale did not help him at all. When Tierney is pushing forward like that any defender would need their mate to give them a hand, and Bale spent most of his time far away from the action when we didn’t have the ball.

Really disappointed with him as at Wolves he was good. I read the different role he played there but even WB demands some defending. Time for Tanganga to rotate with Aurier for the RB role as we rarely play WB's.

Guys, I think I've figured it out.

Everyone keeps talking about Dockerty. I think we signed the wrong player and this Matt Doherty kid is actually sitting on a beach somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom