Matt Doherty

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It seems clear that he is a wing back. He was good in that role for Wolves and likely would be good again if he went back to a team that played that style.

Not sure adding a 29 year old who had primarily played as a WB during his career was a great decision to try and shift to a RB, but hindsight is 20/20 and now it is clear it was a bad choice.

Likely would be better if we had a young RB ready to take over but with Aurier likely to leave this offseason it puts us in a tough spot at RB.

He cost peanuts in the football economic world he was in need of a backup RB cause KWP wanted to leave. He's crap but he's better then no one who was the other option.

Hopefully he's sold in summer after doing his job this season and we get a new RB to fight for Serge's role and then replace him.

It seems clear that he is a wing back. He was good in that role for Wolves and likely would be good again if he went back to a team that played that style.

Not sure adding a 29 year old who had primarily played as a WB during his career was a great decision to try and shift to a RB, but hindsight is 20/20 and now it is clear it was a bad choice.

Likely would be better if we had a young RB ready to take over but with Aurier likely to leave this offseason it puts us in a tough spot at RB.
During the summer I said I would of been happy with Aurier leaving and getting Doherty and Aarons in.
Aarons being the long term choice, Doherty a quick fix.

Not now though, would much of preferred us just getting Aarons.

The very definition of a comfortable systems player.

The sort who'd been in a system for a very long time. Looks better due to said system that would occasionally do very well again the bigger clubs.

But you take him out of that environment, put him in a better team with a better squad and you realise they aren't anywhere near as good.

The same would happen if we had signed Baldock from Sheff Utd, who last season looked every bit a class right back in a Sheff Utd team where a system is perfect for him. Or even someone like Luke Ayling who works perfect for Leeds. Or taking another example from Wolves, someone like Connor Coady.

Doherty is not at the required level and never will be.

Which is a shame really as he didn't cost alot and a solid dependable player would have been nice for depth.

More than anything it highlights that Jose is all over the shop about how he wanted us to play.

When we signed him the dinosaur had been playing a lop sided formation that had Aurier pushed up as WB, with Davies deep on opposite side. He clearly identified Doherty for this role too!!

Except he hasn’t played this system once this season!!!!! Which highlights the muddled thinking. And a huge red light for allowing him to build this team going forward.

No wonder the board have had to step into the mix with Ndombele & Dele and refuse to let them leave.

More than anything it highlights that Jose is all over the shop about how he wanted us to play.

When we signed him the dinosaur had been playing a lop sided formation that had Aurier pushed up as WB, with Davies deep on opposite side. He clearly identified Doherty for this role too!!

Except he hasn’t played this system once this season!!!!! Which highlights the muddled thinking. And a huge red light for allowing him to build this team going forward.

No wonder the board have had to step into the mix with Ndombele & Dele and refuse to let them leave.
This is just arrant nonsense

What has all of these got to do with Doherty being shit? Is Aurier still not pushing up like a WB? Was Tanganga also not pushing up? Its not like Doherty has been specifically askto sit back.

While I like to give players the benefit of doubt in their first season to settle in, the guy has been shit on both ends of the ball.This has nothing to do with the system, but that the guy seems overwhelmed by the stage.

As to your off road rant, Mourinho does want both his LB and RB to push up like WBs (cos they are his primary source of width), but he also wants 3 defenders covering behind. Without a solid DM last season, he kpt davies back to maintain the back 3 when Aurier pushed up. With PEH, who now drops into the back line, both fullbacks (reguilon and Aurier) are aloowed to push up aggressively. Again this has no bearing on Doherty being shit.

This is just arrant nonsense

What has all of these got to do with Doherty being shit? Is Aurier still not pushing up like a WB? Was Tanganga also not pushing up? Its not like Doherty has been specifically askto sit back.

While I like to give players the benefit of doubt in their first season to settle in, the guy has been shit on both ends of the ball.This has nothing to do with the system, but that the guy seems overwhelmed by the stage.

As to your off road rant, Mourinho does want both his LB and RB to push up like WBs (cos they are his primary source of width), but he also wants 3 defenders covering behind. Without a solid DM last season, he kpt davies back to maintain the back 3 when Aurier pushed up. With PEH, who now drops into the back line, both fullbacks (reguilon and Aurier) are aloowed to push up aggressively. Again this has no bearing on Doherty being shit.
BEFORE we signed Doherty Jose played a lop-sided system, with Aurier pushed up as WB with Davies staying deep and narrow making up a 3ATB. It means we played with err, thinks for more than 2 seconds as Auier as a WINGBACK!!!

It explains why Jose wanted Doherty, err who was an out and out WINGBACK!

This season we haven't set up once in this system, so begs the question of why the fuck we bought him at all! That is the point being made. That our Manager has no clear vision how he wants this team to play, or that he had a vision then completely changed his mind having bought in a player that can only play as a wingback!

What part of that can you not understand?

I know Doherty is shit, I got absolute pelters on here for saying such when we signed him. I've absolutely nothing further to add about Doherty being shit as I've jumped off that bus many, many stops ago while most were wanking furiously that their favourite Fantasy Football defender was now at Spurs.

BEFORE we signed Doherty Jose played a lop-sided system, with Aurier pushed up as WB with Davies staying deep and narrow making up a 3ATB. It means we played with err, thinks for more than 2 seconds as Auier as a WINGBACK!!!

It explains why Jose wanted Doherty, err who was an out and out WINGBACK!

This season we haven't set up once in this system, so begs the question of why the fuck we bought him at all! That is the point being made. That our Manager has no clear vision how he wants this team to play, or that he had a vision then completely changed his mind having bought in a player that can only play as a wingback!

What part of that can you not understand?

I know Doherty is shit, I got absolute pelters on here for saying such when we signed him. I've absolutely nothing further to add about Doherty being shit as I've jumped off that bus many, many stops ago while most were wanking furiously that their favourite Fantasy Football defender was now at Spurs.
and you are still writing arrant nonsense.

Aurier still plays like a WB! Reguilon plays like a WB!! Doherty is supposed to play like a WB!!!

Mourinho wants BOTH LB and RB to play like WBs!!!! We simply couldnt play like that last season cos we didnt have a good DM. Now that we have PEH, both Reguilon and Aurier play like WBs!

So pray tell how does that change anything about signing Doherty and him being shit

and you are still writing arrant nonsense.

Aurier still plays like a WB! Reguilon plays like a WB!! Doherty is supposed to play like a WB!!!

Mourinho wants BOTH LB and RB to play like WBs!!!! We simply couldnt play like that last season cos we didnt have a good DM. Now that we have PEH, both Reguilon and Aurier play like WBs!

So pray tell how does that change anything about signing Doherty and him being shit
We DON'T play wingbacks this season!!!!! Our FB's are used as conventional FB's in that they are asked to defend, link play with the midfield, join attacks (obviously our dinosaur has his bias as to how and who they play largely dictated by who they play against).

We played with ONE wingback last season in games when we weren't camped in a low-block. That wingback was AURIER!!! It was a lop-sided formation, with Davies deep and tucked in narrow to form 3ATB.

The point I am making for the THIRD TIME is WHY DID WE BUY AN OUT AND OUT WINGBACK (DOHERTY) WHEN WE HAVE CHOOSEN NOT TO PLAY WINGBACKS THIS SEASON? THE CONCLUSION I'M MAKING IS JOSE DOESN'T HAVE A CLEAR VISSION HOW HE WANTS TO BUILD THIS TEAM. Or he's just shit at player assessment.

Doherty is shit, I'm not making any point about how shit he is as that revelation I was making straight after we bought the useless turd. Anyone with eyes can see how shit he is, anyone with eyes can see he was a WINGBACK at Wolves. Anyone with eyes can see he doesn't fit into any side that doesn't use him as a WINGBACK.

During the summer I said I would of been happy with Aurier leaving and getting Doherty and Aarons in.
Aarons being the long term choice, Doherty a quick fix.

Not now though, would much of preferred us just getting Aarons.
I watched Aarons a lot last season, and I was keen on him, though I couldn't quite say what his ceiling was - largely because that Norwich side was a clusterfuck. But fuck me, he mustn't be half bad when you see all the teams being linked with him (Bayern Munich, Man Utd, Woolwich and Everton, etc). Just last night, I read Roma wanted him in January.

as he didn't cost alot
If he'd been any good, he didn't. But he hasn't, so he did.

And this is what really upsets me about our player recruitment. I don't give a fuck about your Dybalas and Skriniars. I don't have an obsession with really expensive purchases. For a club that tries so hard to be clever about minding our pennies, we don't half end up setting fire to cash.

Last edited:
We DON'T play wingbacks this season!!!!! Our FB's are used as conventional FB's in that they are asked to defend, link play with the midfield, join attacks (obviously our dinosaur has his bias as to how and who they play largely dictated by who they play against).

We played with ONE wingback last season in games when we weren't camped in a low-block. That wingback was AURIER!!! It was a lop-sided formation, with Davies deep and tucked in narrow to form 3ATB.

The point I am making for the THIRD TIME is WHY DID WE BUY AN OUT AND OUT WINGBACK (DOHERTY) WHEN WE HAVE CHOOSEN NOT TO PLAY WINGBACKS THIS SEASON? THE CONCLUSION I'M MAKING IS JOSE DOESN'T HAVE A CLEAR VISSION HOW HE WANTS TO BUILD THIS TEAM. Or he's just shit at player assessment.

Doherty is shit, I'm not making any point about how shit he is as that revelation I was making straight after we bought the useless turd. Anyone with eyes can see how shit he is, anyone with eyes can see he was a WINGBACK at Wolves. Anyone with eyes can see he doesn't fit into any side that doesn't use him as a WINGBACK.
You are just making up nonsense.

Mourinho hasn't changed his system. His preferred system still remains an hybrid 4-2-3-1/4-3-3.

Aurier's role has not changed. It is still as a RB that pushes up aggressively like a WB. Nothing has changed.

Doherty is supposed to play the same role and he has been shit.

But you are so obsessed with Mourinho and are now trying to find some way to blame him for Doherty being shit. Doherty is shit cos Doherty has been shit, and it has nothing to do with the position he has been asked to play

We win 4-0, he gets an assist, sets up Lamela inside the box, great cross that Vini should have headed home and still the agenda is he's shit.
In another thread 2 posters said that even if we win 10-0 they will give Mourinho a rating of 1/10 so go figure.

You are just making up nonsense.

Mourinho hasn't changed his system. His preferred system still remains an hybrid 4-2-3-1/4-3-3.

Aurier's role has not changed. It is still as a RB that pushes up aggressively like a WB. Nothing has changed.

Doherty is supposed to play the same role and he has been shit.

But you are so obsessed with Mourinho and are now trying to find some way to blame him for Doherty being shit. Doherty is shit cos Doherty has been shit, and it has nothing to do with the position he has been asked to play
Jesus fucking christ on a bike!!!

Aurier played as a fucking wingback when we weren't playing in a cowards low-block last season!!

This season Aurier is played as an orthodox FB!!! Doherty is played as an orthodox FB!!!

DOHERTY BEING IS SHIT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE DINOSAUR!

What is to do with the dinosaur is that he bought him! He bought an out and out WINGBACK and has NEVER played him as a WINGBACK for Spurs!!! It demonstrates he a) had a plan to play an A-symmetrical back 3 with a right WIngBack like he played Aurier in his first season b) That he doesn't have a tactile identity thought through because he hasn't deployed him as a wingback c) he's just winging it.

Back
Top Bottom