Matt Doherty

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Jesus fucking christ on a bike!!!

Aurier played as a fucking wingback when we weren't playing in a cowards low-block last season!!

This season Aurier is played as an orthodox FB!!! Doherty is played as an orthodox FB!!!

DOHERTY BEING IS SHIT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE DINOSAUR!

What is to do with the dinosaur is that he bought him! He bought an out and out WINGBACK and has NEVER played him as a WINGBACK for Spurs!!! It demonstrates he a) had a plan to play an A-symmetrical back 3 with a right WIngBack like he played Aurier in his first season b) That he doesn't have a tactile identity thought through because he hasn't deployed him as a wingback c) he's just winging it.
Do you know something? I had totally forgotten that we had played Chelsea recently. I actually had to Google a match report. Speaks volumes, doesn't it?

Jesus fucking christ on a bike!!!

Aurier played as a fucking wingback when we weren't playing in a cowards low-block last season!!

This season Aurier is played as an orthodox FB!!! Doherty is played as an orthodox FB!!!

DOHERTY BEING IS SHIT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE DINOSAUR!

What is to do with the dinosaur is that he bought him! He bought an out and out WINGBACK and has NEVER played him as a WINGBACK for Spurs!!! It demonstrates he a) had a plan to play an A-symmetrical back 3 with a right WIngBack like he played Aurier in his first season b) That he doesn't have a tactile identity thought through because he hasn't deployed him as a wingback c) he's just winging it.
And you are still posting nonsense! Did you even read the articles you posted?

Mourinho 4-2-3-1 hasn't changed. When we have the ball, it's 3-5-2 and there is always a back 3. Last season it was LB and 2 CBs cos we didn't have a good DM, but this season it is PEH and 2CBs. When we lose the ball the LB and RB go back to their normal defensive roles.

Mourinho's hasn't changed his plans, Aurier's role hasn't changed. Doherty is simply shit.

We bought him cos that's what the budget allowed. If you have an issue with that, go and take it up with Levy!

And you are still posting nonsense! Did you even read the articles you posted?

Mourinho 4-2-3-1 hasn't changed. When we have the ball, it's 3-5-2 and there is always a back 3. Last season it was LB and 2 CBs cos we didn't have a good DM, but this season it is PEH and 2CBs. When we lose the ball the LB and RB go back to their normal defensive roles.

Mourinho's hasn't changed his plans, Aurier's role hasn't changed. Doherty is simply shit.

We bought him cos that's what the budget allowed. If you have an issue with that, go and take it up with Levy!
You are describing an A-Symmetrical, lopsided RWB!!! the 4-2-3-1 is just a teamsheet formation shown at the beginning of the game.

YES, YES I do read the articles, I suggest you do and you will see from the fucking heatmaps the positions of the players in question, which demonstrates the sodding formation we played.

LEFT FLANK (Ben Davies)
WhatsApp-Image-2019-11-24-at-10.08.25-1024x733.jpeg

RIGHT FLANK (Serge Aurier)
WhatsApp-Image-2019-11-24-at-10.08.42-1024x731.jpeg

A pretty picture of said positions: That's Auier on the fucking right wing!!! WIth Davies in a back 3.
export-2019-11-24T085157.698.png

We HAVE NOT played this formation once this season. This season we have used BOTH LB and RB (no matter who the FB are) in a much more orthodox role, more balanced on either side of the pitch. We have played a back 3, with both FB's providing balanced width but not predominantly advanced (still behind a wide AM, when Aurier was played as WINGBACK he was almost the furthest forward player, at least level with the most forward player because he was played as a WINGBACK.

Last edited:
You are describing an A-Symmetrical, lopsided RWB!!! the 4-2-3-1 is just a teamsheet formation shown at the beginning of the game.

YES, YES I do read the articles, I suggest you do and you will see from the fucking heatmaps the positions of the players in question, which demonstrates the sodding formation we played.

LEFT FLANK (Ben Davies)

A pretty picture of said positions: That's Auier on the fucking right wing!!! WIth Davies in a back 3.

We do HAVE NOT played this formation once this season. This season we have used BOTH LB and RB (no matter who the FB are) in a much more orthodox role, more balanced on either side of the pitch. We have played a back 3, with both FB's providing balanced width but not predominantly advanced (still behind a wide AM, when Aurier was played as WINGBACK he was almost the furthest forward player, at least level with the most forward player because he was played as a WINGBACK.
The reason why we stopped playing asymmetrical FB's was Reguilón. We signed the Spaniard and he quicly proved to be our best LB - while both of our RB's, good players or not, are also attacking options. What should we do? Play Davies instead of Reguilón just to have Doherty more comfortable on the other side? Play Reguilón in a more conservative role in order to keep the system? Obviously not.

Worth mentioning that, in out best matches this season, both FB's played high up the pitch and had many touches on the ball. The 6-1 against United, as the heatmaps and stats will tell you, was the main example. But even when we sat in a low block - like in the 2-0 victory against City -, both FB's ( Reguilón and Aurier) attacked and had plenty of the ball in comparison to our other players. The change in the FB's role is not necessarily a problem.

Now, in relation to Doherty signing - and the fact that you're blaming Jose for it -, I'd like to remind you that Jose wanted to sign Timothy Castagne - a younger player, a faster player, a better crosser of the ball and someone who's able to play in a back 4 or in a back 3/5. It was a matter of a few millions, according to the player's father. If anything, Jose was flexible enough to accept a second choice signing in a difficult time for the club. Not a bad thing, if we are honest in our analysis.

Link from Football London: "With a little more money, they could have made an offer like Leicester.”

Last edited:
The reason why we stopped playing asymmetrical FB's - which nobody seemed to enjoy when we did, anyway - was Reguilón. We signed the Spaniard and he quicly proved to be our best LB, while both of our RB's, good players or not, are also attacking options. What should we do? Play Davies instead of Reguilón to have Doherty more comfortable on the other side? Play Reguilón in a more conservative role in order to keep the system? Obviously not.

Worth mentioning that, in out best matches this season, both FB's played high up the pitch and had many touches on the ball. The 6-1 against United, as the heatmaps and stats will tell you, was the main example. But even when we sat in a low block, like in the 2-0 victory against City, both FB's ( Reguilón and Aurier) attacked and had plenty of the ball (in comparison to our other players). The change in our FB's role is not necessarily the problem.

Now, in relation to Doherty signing - and the fact that you're blaming Jose for it -, I'd like to remind you that Jose wanted to sign Castagne. It was a matter of a few millions, according to the player's father. If anything, Jose was flexible enough to accept a second choice signing in a difficult time for the club. Not a bad thing, really.

Link from Football London:

Yes, I know this. This isn't being debated. I've said this season we are more balanced, but it also has to be said that when Davies is LB he's dose just as much attacking as Reggie dose (they are two completly different players stylistically though, so the way they attack is very different).

Jose signed Doherty, he was "thrilled" with our summer business as "his targets" were acquired. Why has he played him as an RB when he's clearly a WB? The importance here is that his defensive numbers were woeful at Wolves and the eye test also backed up his inability to defend, yet here we are with the worlds most expensive dinosaur playing him as an FB. What's made even worse is he's playing shit against pub teams. I get his signing completly if he was to be played in the same system we played the previous year with Aurier as a WB, but he hasn't done this once!

Don’t forget when Bale played him into acres of space and he still failed to get a cross in. There’s nothing to like about him:

Sloth
Poor positionally
Can’t tackle
Poor passing
Poor control
Nailed on yellow card
Absolutely.... what professional isn’t just bending that in first time

would’ve took the whole backline out

Yes, I know this. This isn't being debated. I've said this season we are more balanced, but it also has to be said that when Davies is LB he's dose just as much attacking as Reggie dose (they are two completly different players stylistically though, so the way they attack is very different).

Jose signed Doherty, he was "thrilled" with our summer business as "his targets" were acquired. Why has he played him as an RB when he's clearly a WB? The importance here is that his defensive numbers were woeful at Wolves and the eye test also backed up his inability to defend, yet here we are with the worlds most expensive dinosaur playing him as an FB. What's made even worse is he's playing shit against pub teams. I get his signing completly if he was to be played in the same system we played the previous year with Aurier as a WB, but he hasn't done this once!
Come on, Guido, of course Jose said he was happy. He wouldn't say Doherty was not his first choice - especially right after signing him.

For the record, Doherty was signed before Reguilón, which makes me think that the original idea was to keep using asymmetrical FB's - obviously that's just a guess.

Now, in Doherty's defence:

I tend to disagree from most fans, as I don't think he's exactly a defensive liability, even when defending in a back 4. His lack of pace can be a problem, but I think he does his job relatively well in relation to his positioning. I don't think we are necessarily more exposed with him than we are when Aurier plays. Also, while Aurier is a more aggresive defender and better defending 1 vs 1 situations, we are definitely stronger in the air when Doherty is on the pitch - and considering how bad we defend set pieces and aerial crosses, I wouldn't underestimate it.

Doherty's biggest problem with us is his attacking game. Bad touches, bad decisions, bad crosses. Not only that, but he´s staying wide instead of ghosting from the right to the inside of the box, making himself a dangerous option - one of his major strengths. But even then, I'm not that pessimistic. I think Doherty has been improving lately - especially since Gareth Bale began to dominate our attacking right flank. They seem to understand each other pretty well - another factor I wouldn't underestimate.

Let's not rule him out yet, that's all I'm saying. His limitations are real, but he's still adapting. I know he's 29, I'm not talking about his potential to develop into a huge talent. I just feel that he's still learning how to play the way we do - and how to find his best game in it.

Last edited:
We win 4-0, he gets an assist, sets up Lamela inside the box, great cross that Vini should have headed home and still the agenda is he's shit.
In another thread 2 posters said that even if we win 10-0 they will give Mourinho a rating of 1/10 so go figure.
He'd do alright in the austrian league.

Do you know something? I had totally forgotten that we had played Chelsea recently. I actually had to Google a match report. Speaks volumes, doesn't it?

Same.

I was talking to someone about Vinicius and they mentioned how he had started against Chelsea and didn't take his chance.

And I swore blind that he never started against Chelsea and tbh forgot all about the game.

LEFT FLANK (Ben Davies)

We HAVE NOT played this formation once this season. This season we have used BOTH LB and RB (no matter who the FB are) in a much more orthodox role, more balanced on either side of the pitch. We have played a back 3, with both FB's providing balanced width but not predominantly advanced (still behind a wide AM, when Aurier was played as WINGBACK he was almost the furthest forward player, at least level with the most forward player because he was played as a WINGBACK.
How many times do I have to tell you this - AURIER's ROLE HAS NOT CHANGED!!!!! He is still as aggressive has he has always been.

Doherty plays RB - same role as Aurier, changes to the LB doesnt change what has been expected of him. He was bought as an attacking RB and he has been shit!

The reason why we stopped playing asymmetrical FB's was Reguilón. We signed the Spaniard and he quicly proved to be our best LB - while both of our RB's, good players or not, are also attacking options. What should we do? Play Davies instead of Reguilón just to have Doherty more comfortable on the other side? Play Reguilón in a more conservative role in order to keep the system? Obviously not.

Worth mentioning that, in out best matches this season, both FB's played high up the pitch and had many touches on the ball. The 6-1 against United, as the heatmaps and stats will tell you, was the main example. But even when we sat in a low block - like in the 2-0 victory against City -, both FB's ( Reguilón and Aurier) attacked and had plenty of the ball in comparison to our other players. The change in the FB's role is not necessarily a problem.

Now, in relation to Doherty signing - and the fact that you're blaming Jose for it -, I'd like to remind you that Jose wanted to sign Timothy Castagne - a younger player, a faster player, a better crosser of the ball and someone who's able to play in a back 4 or in a back 3/5. It was a matter of a few millions, according to the player's father. If anything, Jose was flexible enough to accept a second choice signing in a difficult time for the club. Not a bad thing, if we are honest in our analysis.

Link from Football London: "With a little more money, they could have made an offer like Leicester.”

FFS this sums us up. What are we doing buying Doc when we can get a far better player for a few more bob? We are supposed to be bigger than Leicester!

Come on, Guido, of course Jose said he was happy. He wouldn't say Doherty was not his first choice - especially right after signing him.

For the record, Doherty was signed before Reguilón, which makes me think that the original idea was to keep using asymmetrical FB's - obviously that's just a guess.

Now, in Doherty's defence:

I tend to disagree from most fans, as I don't think he's exactly a defensive liability, even when defending in a back 4. His lack of pace can be a problem, but I think he does his job relatively well in relation to his positioning. I don't think we are necessarily more exposed with him than we are when Aurier plays. Also, while Aurier is a more aggresive defender and better defending 1 vs 1 situations, we are definitely stronger in the air when Doherty is on the pitch - and considering how bad we defend set pieces and aerial crosses, I wouldn't underestimate it.

Doherty's biggest problem with us is his attacking game. Bad touches, bad decisions, bad crosses. Not only that, but he´s staying wide instead of ghosting from the right to the inside of the box, making himself a dangerous option - one of his major strengths. But even then, I'm not that pessimistic. I think Doherty has been improving lately - especially since Gareth Bale began to dominate our attacking right flank. They seem to understand each other pretty well - another factor I wouldn't underestimate.

Let's not rule him out yet, that's all I'm saying. His limitations are real, but he's still adapting. I know he's 29, I'm not talking about his potential to develop into a huge talent. I just feel that he's still learning how to play the way we do - and how to find his best game in it.
I completely disagree with you about his defending, I'd go so far as to say it's almost non-existent. I don't have time to check his numbers for confirmation but I think he's terrible in the air, I'd say that's one of his worst aspects of his defending, I honestly can't recall him winning an aerial duel whilst defending (he must of obviously).

Doherty's positives to his game were very unique, possibly derived from his specific role at Wolves and that was he didn't stay out wide when pushed high, he would often underlap the winger (who would go wide) and he would be found in the box and this is where he scored a lot of goals from (why he's great to have in your fantasy football team). He did try this in his first couple of games, I liked it. Hasn't been seen since. This might suggest it was a specific instruction at Wolves and a specific instruction from Jose not to do this as he wants the width from his FB's when they are in the attacking third(???).

The gobbiest Manager in history, with scores and scores of barbed comments directed to his board showing his displeasure with their ability to sign a player and you choose to pull the "he's not going to say that in public" routine!!! Come off it! He was absolutely the opposite of this, he was absolutely gushing with praise for ALL the team involved in the transfers, specifically stating that he was "amazed" with their work. He actually went out of his way to do this, many at the time thought it was done to goad the Man U board who he publicly criticized for not getting him a CB, even though they bought him £400m worth of players in that one window.

We agree on the theory that he bought him to play the same WB role Serge was doing in his first season, this is logical given that he was a WB for Wolves. There can't have been at that time any thought of him playing as an FB, to emphasis this further he let a homegrown player (KWP, who's thrived this season) leave in return. And finally the good old Mendes connection. Everything about the signing reeks of his muddled thinking about what system he was going to play and the players he needed to play it. (just as he was exasperated at the thought of losing Ben Davies to injury in his first game, as he saw him critical to playing this system).

I completely disagree with you about his defending, I'd go so far as to say it's almost non-existent. I don't have time to check his numbers for confirmation but I think he's terrible in the air, I'd say that's one of his worst aspects of his defending, I honestly can't recall him winning an aerial duel whilst defending (he must of obviously).

Doherty's positives to his game were very unique, possibly derived from his specific role at Wolves and that was he didn't stay out wide when pushed high, he would often underlap the winger (who would go wide) and he would be found in the box and this is where he scored a lot of goals from (why he's great to have in your fantasy football team). He did try this in his first couple of games, I liked it. Hasn't been seen since. This might suggest it was a specific instruction at Wolves and a specific instruction from Jose not to do this as he wants the width from his FB's when they are in the attacking third(???).
Exactly Doherty's skill sets are
- Link up play
- Late runs into the box
- Providing an ariel threat from set pieces

He's a RB ffs . These are the sort of assets you'd expect of perhaps a CAM or winger. He got all his goals/assists at Wolves by playing a false position which wasn't RB , Traore was closer to a RB than Doherty was.

Silly buy from us because I could've told you he wasn't going to fit in

How many times do I have to tell you this - AURIER's ROLE HAS NOT CHANGED!!!!! He is still as aggressive has he has always been.

Doherty plays RB - same role as Aurier, changes to the LB doesnt change what has been expected of him. He was bought as an attacking RB and he has been shit!
Because Auier is "aggressive" doesn't alter how he's deployed. He's an aggressive footballer, who dominates his flank as a result, whether he's played as a WB or FB. He's aggressive in both those positions because he's an aggressive player!

I've posted numerous articles backing up what I say, detailing how we played last season, if you still wish to deny this then please do just crack on by yourself.

Because Auier is "aggressive" doesn't alter how he's deployed. He's an aggressive footballer, who dominates his flank as a result, whether he's played as a WB or FB. He's aggressive in both those positions because he's an aggressive player!

I've posted numerous articles backing up what I say, detailing how we played last season, if you still wish to deny this then please do just crack on by yourself.
Those articles do not backup what you are claiming. You are trying very hard to complicate a simple matter just to implicate Mourinho. What happens to the rest of the team does not matter and the only focus should be the RB role

With 4-2-3-1, when we have the ball, the RB becomes a WB and pushes forward, but when we lose the ball he reverts back to his defensive RB role in a back 4. This is how the RB has always played under Mourinho. This is how Aurier played last season and this season, and and this is what is expected of Doherty. This has nothing to do with whether Reguilon and/or Davies pushes up or not.

When we have the ball, Doherty should be a WB (his more comfortable role according to you), but he has been shit. When we dont have the ball, and he is suppose to be an RB, he has actually been less shit. If your claim was true, Doherty should have been great offensively and struggling defensively, but instead he has been shit on both ends so far, and interestingly less shit defensively.

Everything else you are trying to bring into it is irrelevant nonsense.

Back
Top Bottom