Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Some bloke on a podcast said he'd been told that Dean had goaded Poch for bottling the title: 'Get over it, you just lost the league.'

Could be total bollocks, but he was an old feller who seemed pretty well connected.
I definitely think he must have said something out of line, as Poch appears to gesture something along the lines of “say that in front of the camera!”.

We have lost to Crystal Palace twice in the FA cup during his tenure, we lose to the most decent teams in the domestic cups. People continually reference those FA cup semi finals - the reality is we played absolutely no one of the note - the best team we played across both competitions was Leicester who put out a reserve team. We got taken to replays against by the likes of Rochdale and Newport. And it is not just the FA cup - we got dumped out of the UEFA cup in the season United won by a middle table Belgium side over 2 legs.

As to what I would do differently? Well altering our appalling attitude to such tournaments would be a start. The notion that a club that hasn’t won anything in 11 years has ‘higher priorities’ and that tournaments like the FA cup won’t change us is absolutely absurd. We have a qualification culture running right throughout the club - we’ve essentially become Woolwich 2007- 2012. So breaking that mindset would be a start - actually making use of what we have rather than squandering this year in year out.

As for being suspicious of the owners - everyone knows their intention to sell, that’s where they will make their money and they maximise that profit it the debt is not there. But that isn’t what is hindering us - we have had a team good enough to win major silverware going on 5 seasons now. The real issue is with the coach and warped mindset when it comes to the tournaments that represent our best chance of silverware

We were pretty much at full strength for the game vs Gent (Lloris, Walker, Alderweireld, Dier, Davies, Wanyama, Dembele, Winks, Sissoko, Dele, Kane + Eriksen & Son came off the bench) and only ended up not flipping it on its head in the return leg due to Dele getting himself sent off very early on. 4 semi finals & a cup final in 5 seasons is very good and reasonable for a team with the 6th biggest revenue streams in the country regardless of who we've lost to in the other competitions that year. There is no god given right to win matches, we have to respect that there's 11 other players on that pitch fighting as well it's never a given.

Look at the other big 6 teams and their teams used for early round FA Cup & League Cup games and don't be surprised when you see names like Willock & Smith-Rowe, Nketiah & Jenkinson turn out for Woolwich, Camacho, Moreno & Jones turn out for Liverpool, Ampadu & Lofuts-Cheek turn out for Chelsea & Muric, Garcia & Adariboyo among others turn out for Man City.

We treat the cups with the level of respect our squad is able to. Stop complaining that we treat the cups any different when we are trying to be competitive on 4 fronts throughout a season, especially this season when the majority of our big players have literally had about 4 days of pre season training to their name.

The priority for competitions is the Premier League, the Champions League, the FA Cup & thennthe League Cup. The only time those priorities change is if we get injuries at certain times, get a good draw, hit a bad bit of form elsewhere etc.

You still haven't answered my question by the way. 5th and the FA Cup or securing top 4?

How does "everyone knows" that it's the owners intention to sell ?

I haven't seen that anywhere, except for people 2nd guessing.

It is pure speculation, nothing else.

If you haven’t picked up on this then you clearly haven’t been paying attention. But please answer answer me this, if an investment consortium headed by individual with doesn’t actually even like football, doesn’t extract revenue from a club where will they see a return on their capital? What is their motive for owning the club?

So, this is from Clattenberg:
D0RFc1xXQAEpRd4.jpg

D0RFc1pWoAIg-v1.jpg

What's interesting here is that all ref's are now recorded and from knowing him, he believes that it's more than likely he's the type to say something.
Some audio from the TV here, one thing I hadn't heard before was Jimenez saying "you'll never work again".

I think he means we haven't actually beaten anyone of note to get to those semi finals and at the times we met a decent opponent (United, Chelsea), we actually lost.

Though we DID beat Woolwich away in the League Cup this season (for only the second time in 15+ years) and beat Chelsea too in the first leg of the semi final
And Watford and West Ham before that.

Our League Cup run this year was entirely against PL opposition. Definitely a impressive run.

So, this is from Clattenberg:
D0RFc1xXQAEpRd4.jpg

D0RFc1pWoAIg-v1.jpg

What's interesting here is that all ref's are now recorded and from knowing him, he believes that it's more than likely he's the type to say something.
Some audio from the TV here, one thing I hadn't heard before was Jimenez saying "you'll never work again".

Wow, that is pretty damning! I wrote yesterday that Jesus' reaction as much as Poch's made me think it highly likely that Dean said something well out of line. That was based on Jesus' pointing a physical finger at Dean. Now add this audio from him and also Jimenez - who I until now felt was just looking to get Poch away - joining in, and it seems almost a given that Dean has shit the bed on this one.

Another thought on it. Watching the footie yesterday, I couldn't help but think that Pool - United and a cup final being at the weekend might have played a part. Dean seems just about enough of a let's make it about me narcissistic cunt to have been insulted at being overlooked for those two matches and being sent to Burnley. Making him looking for any excuse to make it about him. Even more so than normally.

We were pretty much at full strength for the game vs Gent (Lloris, Walker, Alderweireld, Dier, Davies, Wanyama, Dembele, Winks, Sissoko, Dele, Kane + Eriksen & Son came off the bench) and only ended up not flipping it on its head in the return leg due to Dele getting himself sent off very early on. 4 semi finals & a cup final in 5 seasons is very good and reasonable for a team with the 6th biggest revenue streams in the country regardless of who we've lost to in the other competitions that year. There is no god given right to win matches, we have to respect that there's 11 other players on that pitch fighting as well it's never a given.

Look at the other big 6 teams and their teams used for early round FA Cup & League Cup games and don't be surprised when you see names like Willock & Smith-Rowe, Nketiah & Jenkinson turn out for Woolwich, Camacho, Moreno & Jones turn out for Liverpool, Ampadu & Lofuts-Cheek turn out for Chelsea & Muric, Garcia & Adariboyo among others turn out for Man City.

We treat the cups with the level of respect our squad is able to. Stop complaining that we treat the cups any different when we are trying to be competitive on 4 fronts throughout a season, especially this season when the majority of our big players have literally had about 4 days of pre season training to their name.

The priority for competitions is the Premier League, the Champions League, the FA Cup & thennthe League Cup. The only time those priorities change is if we get injuries at certain times, get a good draw, hit a bad bit of form elsewhere etc.

You still haven't answered my question by the way. 5th and the FA Cup or securing top 4?

Clearly you’re not reading what is being written because I would take an FA cup and 5th place over a top 4 finish every single time. It just shows you how warped the game has become when you would have supporter openly admit to preferring a revenue stream over a trophy that defines this club.

And again it’s this plucky little Spurs 6th largest turnover mentality whilst completely ignoring the players we have, ignoring the fact that only City have amassed more league points than us. This squad argument simply doesn’t wash - not when when have players such as Lamela, Moura to name a few who cost vast sums sitting on the bench. The disconnect between our league performances and cup performances is there to see. We have lost to Palace twice, Leicester at home ( who were in the relegation zone) and have been knocked out by the first decent opposition we came across in the others ( we just about beat Wycombe and got taken to replays against Newport and Rochdale). It’s all about attitude clearly - it’s exactly the same as the Redknapp era because it’s the same conduct, same approach, same mindeset. Is it any wonder why why crash out the UEFA cup so cheaply when our manager states that it is a competition that he doesn’t look forward too and that avoiding could help us? Is it any wonder why we perform to such a sub par standard in the FA cup when he states that it isn’t a priority and winning won’t change the club?

Wow, that is pretty damning! I wrote yesterday that Jesus' reaction as much as Poch's made me think it highly likely that Dean said something well out of line. That was based on Jesus' pointing a physical finger at Dean. Now add this audio from him and also Jimenez - who I until now felt was just looking to get Poch away - joining in, and it seems almost a given that Dean has shit the bed on this one.

Another thought on it. Watching the footie yesterday, I couldn't help but think that Pool - United and a cup final being at the weekend might have played a part. Dean seems just about enough of a let's make it about me narcissistic cunt to have been insulted at being overlooked for those two matches and being sent to Burnley. Making him looking for any excuse to make it about him. Even more so than normally.
I don't get the line "always making it about him" that gets trotted out constantly. Were it not for Poch challenging him no one would be talking about it. Sure there are loads of instances that have drawn the attention, namely him being weird about how he hands out cards and mannerisms etc. But in this instance it's Poch not him that has made something of it.

So,,, who brings the charges ? Is it driven because the Ref puts a report in, or can the FA do it on the back of TV evidence and pictures ?

Because, if it is down to the Ref and Dean did say something that was that outrageous, then why would he put the report in about Poch, it would only come back and bite him as well..

If you haven’t picked up on this then you clearly haven’t been paying attention. But please answer answer me this, if an investment consortium headed by individual with doesn’t actually even like football, doesn’t extract revenue from a club where will they see a return on their capital? What is their motive for owning the club?

That is a super easy question here *

Return of capital comes from the fact that the selling price is higher than the purchase price. There are basically two types of investments - those that you expect to earn you a constant cash flow (and you can basically keep them for unlimited time - in terms of stockmarket those are dividend stocks; in RE those are condos or business RE units with good tenants) and then there are investments where you expect to sell for more than you paid for them (usually held for limited time, in stock market so called "growth stocks" ; in RE such objects that you buy, renovate/make better and then sell on).

I can clearly see that investment into our club falls into latter, so it is absolutely logical that there is no money taken out of the club. So really you are the one claiming otherwise, and you are one with burdain of proof that it is like you say it is.

* maybe not for everyone, but I have BA in finance and have worked in finance for few years now

But Pochettinho takes it seriously and we have got to 2 semi finals.

2018/2019

Round 4: Crystal Palace 2 Spurs 0
Round 3: Tranmere 0 Spurs 7

2017/18. FA cup:

Semi Final: Spurs 1 Manchester United 2
Quarter: Swansea 0 Spurs 3
Round 5 Spurs 6 Rochdale 1
Round 5. Rochdale 2 Spurs 2
Round 4. Spurs 2 Newport 0
Round 4. Newport 1 Spurs 1
Round 3 Spurs 3. Wimbledon 0

2016/17 FA Cup