Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The most worrying thing for me is the lack of speed in our attack these last few months. It's all become very predictable lately. Lloris, out to the full backs, across the back line, then across the other way, and then across again. Maybe a forward pass into midfield and back again.

When it does finally get into the attacking area there seems to be very little width. We are taking an age to get crosses into the box and by that time the opposition have filled the box.

When we got crosses in against Dortmund we scored goals, but in the PL we very rarely play that way any more.

I think other teams have worked us out to an extent and the lack of decent wing backs doesn't help. Does anyone remember the day's of Walker and Rose bombing down the lines?

I am seriously worried that our opportunity has passed and Poch and the players have run out of ideas. Even worse, maybe some of them have run out of patience based on some of our performances. Over to you coach. Earn your fucking money now.

Last edited:
His obsession with this shit formation has to stop. We look awful in possession in this diamond and it's so fucking easy to play against , just exploit the wings and get your full back to overload and you have a 2 on 1 with our full backs. The first goal whilst it's shit defending from Toby and Hugo could do better, it oringally comes about because they knock a ball out wide and they immediately have a 2 on 1 against Davies, simple ball in behind and they're in.

We've spent the past 5 years playing some of the best football in the league in the 4-2-3-1, yet it's pretty much been abondened this season . Woolwich next , and if anyone's seen the way they play under emery , it's literally all about getting the ball out wide and overlapping their full backs, would be playing right into their hands to start the diamond again, something seriously wrong if neither him or the rest of his backroom staff can see that.

His obsession with this shit formation has to stop. We look awful in possession in this diamond and it's so fucking easy to play against , just exploit the wings and get your full back to overload and you have a 2 on 1 with our full backs. The first goal whilst it's shit defending from Toby and Hugo could do better, it oringally comes about because they knock a ball out wide and they immediately have a 2 on 1 against Davies, simple ball in behind and they're in.

We've spent the past 5 years playing some of the best football in the league in the 4-2-3-1, yet it's pretty much been abondened this season . Woolwich next , and if anyone's seen the way they play under emery , it's literally all about getting the ball out wide and overlapping their full backs, would be playing right into their hands to start the diamond again, something seriously wrong if neither him or the rest of his backroom staff can see that.
Teams had already worked out the 4231 last season as well.
Either change the system or change the players, neither are gonna get back to any sort of swashbuckling heights like they had before

I think maybe personnel is dictating the line up more than much else. If it’s not that then he’s got me confused as to what he is aiming for. It’s a shame to see it ending this way, hopefully I am wrong but it feels like a parting of the ways is going to happen sooner rather than later, the sense of a season slipping away into double figure defeats won’t feel like progress come May.

I personally feel with Dier and Wanyama fit and on form we are much more positive because there is a harder base to break down. Without those two (and Dembele) the CM area is lacking confidence quite badly. Winks and Sissoko deserve a lot of credit for their contributions, but they have a sense of deer in the headlines when they are turned. That’s often a confidence issues. Also I think dropping Eriksen deeper is hurting us too much, sooner Ali’s back the better.

Based on fans opinions tonight, poch must have a bigger for sale sign than his shopping list since the scouts can't select a pick n mix in a sweet store and either he or levy hesitate too much over signings.
I bet they come from families that kept the plastic on the tv remote and these days they leave the factory screen sticker on their new leagoo phones. (That's ok, leave the promotional phone at home and use your regular one after doing the PR pics)
For sale....?
Lloris (won't happen)
Trippier (Leicester or Newcastle maybe)
Wanyama (sad)
Toby (payday)
Eriksen (part timer, too much slacking off)
KWP (play on loan with Bournemouth or something)
Llorente (too little too late)
Lamela (rollovers to nowhere)
Janssen (just take a write off already)
Sissoko (could do well at Watford)
Aurier (man child)
Rose (snake)
Davies (too average)

Aaaand start with bringing back Edwards the saviour

Last edited:

Unless I am reading that wrong - than I'm not entirely happy with that statement.

He absolutely should be changing his assessment on the players. He's just seen two gutless performances with zero heart, zero fight across 14 different starters.

Wake up Poch ffs.

I think it’s more desperation and hope at this point they will turn it around, the fear probably is that if he digs them out then it will only make matters worse and the truth is, it probably would because I think some of our players are very sensitive.

Poch already hinted during the week he was unhappy with us against Burnley and said we had a bad mentality and the response from them tonight was more of the same.

I feel for Poch I really do, the only thing that has disappointed me with him this past week is apologising to Dean though, that imo was a sign of weakness, should have taken a note from Fergusons book.

He did make mistakes in these two games obviously. Putting Rose and Aurier against Burnley, then Trippier and Davies tonight is one of them.
Starting Kane
3 at the back
Winks and Sissoko need a restl
Diamond formation (or whatever it's called) isn't working

Best starting eleven against them lot, and then against Dortmund rotate with Dier, Lamela, Lucas or Llorente.

Unless I am reading that wrong - than I'm not entirely happy with that statement.

He absolutely should be changing his assessment on the players. He's just seen two gutless performances with zero heart, zero fight across 14 different starters.

Wake up Poch ffs.

Poch will never give the lads a public dressing down.

It's not his style. It's classless.

Poch will never give the lads a public dressing down.

It's not his style. It's classless.

Yep agreed. Not his way and not required or likely to change anything.

In saying his assessment of the players won't change is not saying that assessment is top notch.

It's a battle for top 4 now and then we shall see in the summer whether wd have ambition beyond that.

It's been a bad 5 days. I really hope that does not read and extend to 8 days and counting.

I am past predictions so we shall see.

Getting a bit bored of the "class act". There is acting classy and then there is demonstrating weakness. If anything Poch is losing respect in continuing to please in the media. It does help his team if he doesn't back down when it matters. They fold on the pitch and have no leadership.

Losing to Sarri twice and conceding two goals at Stamford Bridge twice is his problem.

I'm here for some time trying to figure out If Pochettino is right or wrong in his aproach by now and altough I feel pretty depressive with his common complacent speech I think he's in a position that he can't adress things in another way or he can fuck even more our season. Really believe he has some problems like insisting in Trippier or clueless tactics and substitutions (like Son's today), but we really are in lack of players that we didn't bought to build our Stadium that isn't complete. The guy must be as pissed as anyone of us and I firmly belive If we don't sort the things the next transfer window he's ou by the end of next season. Also, we need more fighters in this team, pretty pissed with souless players that can't give their best when needed and Eriksen is the best exemple, despite I wanted him to stay after Dortmund game he's pretty useless in big games.

Needs a rethink....it’s the same players he’s had all season, and they’ve struggled with this system for months.

Now the results aren’t masking anything, and the wool is truly pulled from the eyes, just how crap we’ve been playing really hits home.

He’s not playing to players strengths, and exposing their weaknesses. For all Eriksens shitness, it Poch that seems to think playing him deep adds something.

Gone back to squeezing as many favourites in as possible and substituting random players just to keep the others on the pitch, regardless of what’s needed out there.

I don’t feel sorry for him, he’s on 9M a year and he can’t make an attack with Kane, Son, Eriksen, Moura and Lucas look dangerous or exciting any more. Even Dele back won’t change anything.
It’s all gone slow and turgid.

I called him an AVB clone in the early pages of this thread..........well we’re not there, but to be honest, watching us bores me at times, even when we’re winning.
Not good.

Needs a rethink....it’s the same players he’s had all season, and they’ve struggled with this system for months.

Now the results aren’t masking anything, and the wool is truly pulled from the eyes, just how crap we’ve been playing really hits home.

He’s not playing to players strengths, and exposing their weaknesses. For all Eriksens shitness, it Poch that seems to think playing him deep adds something.

Gone back to squeezing as many favourites in as possible and substituting random players just to keep the others on the pitch, regardless of what’s needed out there.

I don’t feel sorry for him, he’s on 9M a year and he can’t make an attack with Kane, Son, Eriksen, Moura and Lucas look dangerous or exciting any more. Even Dele back won’t change anything.
It’s all gone slow and turgid.

I called him an AVB clone in the early pages of this thread..........well we’re not there, but to be honest, watching us bores me at times, even when we’re winning.
Not good.

This fairly sums up how I feel. Depressingly good post! Bar 45mins v Dortmund we haven’t played well since we LOST to United ...I’ve been supporting, backing the team at games, hoping beyond hope that our form picks up and grateful for the frequent (& undeserved) 3 points. However, the last two defeats...the manner of them and the context have really hit home just how out of ideas the managent / team are...

Someone else here said that our attacking play was slow these days. And I am inclined to agree. It feels like the fast passing football he came in with is gone and not majority of our players (particularly in attack) take far too many touches on the ball.

Surely we can work that out and correct it? Move the ball, pass the ball. Move the ball, pass the ball.

Someone else here said that our attacking play was slow these days. And I am inclined to agree. It feels like the fast passing football he came in with is gone and not majority of our players (particularly in attack) take far too many touches on the ball.

Surely we can work that out and correct it? Move the ball, pass the ball. Move the ball, pass the ball.
Chelsea got 10 men behind the ball in deep positions, there was very little space and they were on us like flies on shit.

Back
Top Bottom