Mauricio Pochettino

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think mindset is the final piece in the puzzle for many teams. Ranieri had it bang on when they won, Fergie always had them believing, Jose the same. You can see teams getting close but failing at the last minute... the mental and belief side is probably the most difficult to coach.

I find it interesting how we do medicals before a transfer but how about psychometric profiling? Can't we identify the traits top players need and make sure we don't get people who are only interested in the wage and flashy cars.

I truly believe we have a nucleus of players who give a shit (Kane, Winks, Sissoko, Lamella) but half the team isn't enough. Everyone of those players stepping on the pitch or sitting on the bench needs to want to win above everything else and believe they can make the difference if things aren't going their way.

It's strength of character so for me metal profiling is a big part.

Maybe we already do this, who knows...
It's a double edged sword when it comes to a couple of those examples (though not Fergie!), case in point: while Ranieri did motivate the Leicester squad perfectly, they turned on him incredibly quickly when they reverted to the mean the following season. We've also seen José lose various dressing rooms right after winning titles.

I commend Poch, because it feels like he's doing the 'Fergie' way, so you're right about that nucleus of players who will run through walls for him but with a supporting cast who may not when they're up against it in a hard match. I suppose Poch just has to continue to ship out/in the right guys to get the harmony perfect.

One last thing about the Alasdair Gold article; those quotes coming after the weekend (and seeing Liverpool drop points at Old Trafford) probably made things all the more galling.

Edit: I also read the 'ten years' line as meaning now (five years into the project) plus another five years. Could be wrong though.

Maybe. The linesman was 10m away from Hendrick/Vertonghen and should have spotted it. We know it was a goalkick because we had replays from 5 angles. Not available to the officials. VAR?

We got lucky with the Rose throw. There would have been no dispute if Dean had blown up and asked him to retake it.
Even if VAR was in use, I don't think it would be used for this decision. Awarding of a corner or throw in etc isn't part of the review process regardless if it leads to a goal or not. Or am I wrong?

Even if VAR was in use, I don't think it would be used for this decision. Awarding of a corner or throw in etc isn't part of the review process regardless if it leads to a goal or not. Or am I wrong?

Good question. I've no idea. I thought it was for any obvious mistake (which may, or may not, involve throws ins and corners.

Perhaps someone else knows?

Poch getting too Harry for me.......an article every day it seems.
Get off the mic and get your team playing the way you want them to.
Starting tonight

Yep completely with you on this.

He can gob off as much as he liked if and when we win something.

He is nearly everything we could wish him to be but fcuk me he has been odd in the extreme this season and changing a winning team, Kane (for Moura apart) was sheer fcukwittery and trying to be too clever.

I think what we need is better players. Poch is performing miracles with this squad.

Disagree but agree on 2 bits.

Yep he is doing fanrastically well and yes we need better players but that does not mean he will definitely do better.

It's the key games he loses that are the question mark on our manager.

Disagree but agree on 2 bits.

Yep he is doing fanrastically well and yes we need better players but that does not mean he will definitely do better.

It's the key games he loses that are the question mark on our manager.
I agree that he needs to improve in this respect, but we have a lot of players whom I don't particularly rate, and a paucity of midfield options. We cannot control games like we used to, and are getting by on individual brilliance too often.

I think what we need is better players. Poch is performing miracles with this squad.

What miracles would that be?
Finishing top 4?
Do you think this is a squad that shouldn’t be finishing top 4, or that no other manager could do that with these players?

This team will need new players to reach the next level, with Dembele gone, and probably Eriksen and Toby too.
Llorente and Janssen will need upgrading too.

But it doesn’t need new players to continue to finish 3rd and not win anything.

Personally I think the only miracle is that we have no silverware

But isn't that part of manager's job to get them focused and motivated?
I agree that we looked bad on the pitch. And those who are on the pitch were players. I mean if we would have lost due to awful mistake of 1 or 2 players, we might point fingers to them. But the fact is that pretty much every single player on the field did bad in this game. And if it is collective issue, I believe it is down to manager more than it is to players.

For example in game against ManU we cannot have a single complaint against Poch - we put them under immense pressure, created chances and were solid in defence for the most of the game. This is "one of those" days. But Burnley game was very much different in my eyes.
I would agree with what you said but I really think the players should have known how important the game is and the motivation and attitude should have been high anyway. The manager shouldn’t have much to say in these circumstances.

What miracles would that be?
Finishing top 4?
Do you think this is a squad that shouldn’t be finishing top 4, or that no other manager could do that with these players?

This team will need new players to reach the next level, with Dembele gone, and probably Eriksen and Toby too.
Llorente and Janssen will need upgrading too.

But it doesn’t need new players to continue to finish 3rd and not win anything.

Personally I think the only miracle is that we have no silverware

And next to no good fortune.

Genuinely, one of the worst performances I've ever seen from us under Pochettino. Just a total lack of fight, almost no care in the world amongst the starting eleven. It was a typical 'Oh shit, we're at Stamford Bridge, let's surrender' performance from Tottenham tonight, the sort that happened every single year in the 90s and every single year in the 00s. The kind that's only seen us win there just ONCE in 30+ years.

But it's the same old problem. Every single game this season:

- Our full backs ARE NOT good enough. They get exposed every single game, more so against the top clubs because they CAN exploit it.

- No control in midfield. Honestly, just watch the games, Winks is a ONE MAN MIDFIELD. Every single week. It's a fact. He CANNOT do the job of two or three men. He's been excellent to be honest but he needs some help in there. What it DOES mean is against the better clubs, they can simply dominate us in there. We can SMASH the shit like Bournemouth and Everton with a midfield of Winks because they're frightened of our attack, but it's shown against the bigger clubs, unless our attack is firing, we aren't going to win.

Those are two MASSIVE issues, which can only get you so far. We are where we are in the league because we have a great coach and some fucking excellent players. But limitations are REALLY showing now. I love Sissoko, he's become a cult hero but ffs guys, he isn't it. But I don't blame him. He's pretty much forced to play because Dier is unfit, Wanyama is dying, Dele is injured and Skipp isn't trusted enough to play (and far too inexperienced).

Just look at how easy it is to bypass us. Winks and Sissoko are SOOOO far away from eachother at times, it's almost laughable. Again, I don't really WANT to blame both players because they have no option. Neither are defensive midfielders and their strengths aren't defending - but a big problem in the last two games and in fact most of our losses this season has been midfield or in fact our full backs.

Honestly, the players don't look interested but is this a players issue? or is it down to the manager? Surely, he can motivate this group of players in a LONDON derby against our rivals? If he cannot then he's in the wrong job and the players are playing for the wrong club.

He better hope he can get them up for the North London Derby at the weekend because a 3rd loss in a row would look mighty worrying, considering we were winning games WITHOUT Kane and we'd have had Kane back for 3 games and lost all of them.

Unless I am reading that wrong - than I'm not entirely happy with that statement.

He absolutely should be changing his assessment on the players. He's just seen two gutless performances with zero heart, zero fight across 14 different starters.

Wake up Poch ffs.

Back
Top Bottom